massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

Does anyone have any knowledge of a cupping technique, that instead of mobilizing the cup on  the client, the client is encouraged to move through various ranges of movement with the cup fixed in one position??? 

I have been trying this on myself using a single large plastic vacaum cup on gluet max for my hip injury and getting some good effects. obviously has to be quite a strong vacaum to keep cup in place.

If you have injury and have not yet tried this maybe you should ? 

Views: 667

Replies to This Discussion

I think it sounds good. The cups I have would probably not hold on too well!
Yes - yes, I learned this technique called Dynamic Cupping in the Contemporary Cupping Methods workshop that uses the Baguanfa Rubber Cups. Apply some oil, gel or cream in the area, the Rubber cups are placed around the joint or area to be moved. Have the client move slowly (or using assisted movement), as the cup adjusts to the first round of different movements, it will then hold on securely through repetitive actions.
I do it on hips, knees, ankles, along the spine as they reach for their toes or bend forward sitting...shoulders, elbows and even wrists. It works SO fast and effectively and my clients are so happy with the relief these easy to take rubber cups provide. One tip is keeping the joint in traction during the process to keep the joint capsule open - drawing stagnation out while pulling living fluids in and increasing synovial fluid.

ENJOY! Your clients surely will...

Maria
Thanks for the info Maria, I thought someone must be doing this already ! Any special contraindications due to movement? I've been on pubmed and did come across rare incidents of blood vessel rupture ?

Are you doing any for yourself ?

Maria Fiorino said:
Yes - yes, I learned this technique called Dynamic Cupping in the Contemporary Cupping Methods workshop that uses the Baguanfa Rubber Cups. Apply some oil, gel or cream in the area, the Rubber cups are placed around the joint or area to be moved. Have the client move slowly (or using assisted movement), as the cup adjusts to the first round of different movements, it will then hold on securely through repetitive actions.
I do it on hips, knees, ankles, along the spine as they reach for their toes or bend forward sitting...shoulders, elbows and even wrists. It works SO fast and effectively and my clients are so happy with the relief these easy to take rubber cups provide. One tip is keeping the joint in traction during the process to keep the joint capsule open - drawing stagnation out while pulling living fluids in and increasing synovial fluid.

ENJOY! Your clients surely will...

Maria
You bet Stephen - happy to share this...

I actually do it on myself a couple of times a week as my knees an ankles were often painful. After the first time I did it I had no pain for days - and I did notice a lot of dark stagnation came to the surface which was really tellinjg, but of course doesn't happen now that I pulled it out of there.

As far as blood vessel ruptures, I have not seen any issues with my clients - but I don't put a cup on any extruding varicosities, existing bruises, skin ruptures or areas where there has been a history of herniation... as well, with my older clients and those with existing health issues - I start pretty light and go nice & slow for the first couple of treatments until I see they are responding well, then I step up the depth, speed and length of the treatment as it seems safe. I communicate with them alot and get their feedback. It's working really well in 98% of the people I do it with.

Maria
Oh wow Maria, thanks for sharing.
I've been v busy lately, so using the cups for a short time on my Lumber fascia to rehydrate after a long day and seems to be working:)

Is cupping the most easily overlooked, easy to use, yet amazingly effective therapy/self therapy there is ?
I feel I been misssing out on this........

Maria Fiorino said:
You bet Stephen - happy to share this...

I actually do it on myself a couple of times a week as my knees an ankles were often painful. After the first time I did it I had no pain for days - and I did notice a lot of dark stagnation came to the surface which was really tellinjg, but of course doesn't happen now that I pulled it out of there.

As far as blood vessel ruptures, I have not seen any issues with my clients - but I don't put a cup on any extruding varicosities, existing bruises, skin ruptures or areas where there has been a history of herniation... as well, with my older clients and those with existing health issues - I start pretty light and go nice & slow for the first couple of treatments until I see they are responding well, then I step up the depth, speed and length of the treatment as it seems safe. I communicate with them alot and get their feedback. It's working really well in 98% of the people I do it with.

Maria
I agree 100% Stephen... but thankfully this old world treatment has come back to the healers hands in the U.S.. and not a moment too soon.

Take care!

Maria
I do not do Bleeding Cupping in my practice, but have received it with wonderful results. Where I live and practice, if I began this I would be flooded with patients wanting full Blood Cupping and I really do not want to go there.

But I completely agree with Rechelle's comments on releasing the pressure on the vein will help reduce the varicosity and possible exacerbation of the condition during Cupping treatments. This doesn't mean most people will know how to do it safely and with the proper sanitary followup. As well, some porous cupping sets are not proper during Blood Cupping like the Baguanfa Rubber Cups.

Maria
On November 6th did my 1 day cupping course here in UK and realize there is so much more to learn about this technique and its diagnostic value within TCM.

I had no idea you could sniff the cup afterwards and smell the toxins released !

We also had a greek lady show us cupping with Honey !! Mmmmm.:)

Hi Stephen,

Sniffing the cups to smell the toxins is not recommended as you could take in these toxins and experience adverse effects.  I was told this when I did my initial cupping training in 1993, and since then by several highly trained and well regarded practitioners including Bruce Bentley when I attended his Contemporary Cupping workshop.  For the same reason you should also avoid bending over the client when releasing the cups.

Stephen Jeffrey said:

On November 6th did my 1 day cupping course here in UK and realize there is so much more to learn about this technique and its diagnostic value within TCM.

I had no idea you could sniff the cup afterwards and smell the toxins released !

Thanks for the warning Brian:)

Brian Drummond said:

Hi Stephen,

Sniffing the cups to smell the toxins is not recommended as you could take in these toxins and experience adverse effects.  I was told this when I did my initial cupping training in 1993, and since then by several highly trained and well regarded practitioners including Bruce Bentley when I attended his Contemporary Cupping workshop.  For the same reason you should also avoid bending over the client when releasing the cups.

Stephen Jeffrey said:

Like Rechelle, I'm a big fan of blood letting with cupping.  I usually start by doing light cupping, followed with some heavier moving cupping.  Then I either use a 3-edge of a plum blossom needle to prick darker areas, and reapply cups for another 5-10 minutes.  It works great for muscle tension and pain, and also helps smokers in the process of quitting.
I have experinented with this on myself with good results. However, I cracked a glass cup doing this! Luckily it didn't break altogether but it made a loud noise and was rendered useless afterwords. After that experience I only use bamboo or plastic cups when performing active movements.

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service