massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

Do you have days where you just don't feel like working? Where it is challenging to just get through the work day? And how do you find the motivation/energy to give a good massage?

I am worried that I am on the verge of burning out already! I still enjoy the work I do. I don't have a problem getting up and going into work. My problem is staying "present" for each client. And having the strength and energy to get through my whole day. This doesn't happen every day. But it has happened a few times. How to get grounded on those days so I can be client-centered? And be energetic?

Views: 542

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jimswife, I just started learning how to meditate; I'm not good at it yet but it is really restorative.  You might also get yourself checked out by a naturopath - I had hypothyroidism, VERY low iron and 2 chronic infections!  I am doing much better now but I'm still not "bullet proof" to quote my naturopath.

I definitely have days like you are talking about.  I have to dig deep at those times and do the best I can.  The longer you do this, the "easier" it gets.  I used quotation marks because it's never easy for me on the bad days; it's just better than it used to be.

Thank you for that Therese. I am taking comfort in knowing I am not the only one who has days like that. (where you have to dig deep) I do plan to get a complete physical as soon as insurance kicks in again. Thyroid problems run in my family. And I have wondered if that is why I have been so tired.

You're welcome!

One of the bodyworkers I went to a couple of years ago said that an MD will tell you your thyroid is "normal" if it's functioning at or above 13%.  It might be useful for you to know a little about the tests, etc before you go.  I can't remember off the top of my head what the good websites are.  And only part of the population can successfully take Synthroid; you need the enzyme that changes it from T4 to T3 and only some people have it.  I'm on Westhroid which is pig thyroid.  It's working really well for me.

Good luck and if I can help let me know!

On a lot of levels, this is not easy work.  A high percentage of therapists last only six or seven years.  Our education system is dearly lacking.  Ive wanted to quit several times in my career....I stretch, and study. .A good nights sleep is important.  After 30 years.. I think I will make it now.

when i feel i have lower energy, i focus on just the massage i'm doing.  I think well this is my plan for the session and if i just do x, then y, then z well i should have about this much time left for blank.  I try to focus on just what i'm doing right now.  Not what i will end the session with, not so much on long term treatment plan ( if its an on going client this has already been planned out a bit)  if its the first time i see someone then that massage of the moment is the most important.  i won't see them again if this doesn't go well.  I have also at times let go of any expectations of the client returning and just try to do that one great massage.  Not worrying about this during the session really helps.  Now try doing sessions while nausus and sleep depribed.

One thing that might help is to remember how much it can mean to the client for you to be there. I know when I have a massage scheduled, it's the highlight of my week! For your client, that session might be the only time all day, all week, all month--maybe even all year!--where they receive the touch, attention and care that all humans crave. If you think of how much that hour might mean to the client it could be easier to get into a caring mindset, and give them all the attention you would want if you were the client on the table, rather than the therapist.

Also look at the balance in the rest of your life. If you're finding it easy and enjoyable to do all the other things you do, then it's more likely the problem is just a massage problem and you can look at ways to address that. But if you don't have other things that are making you happy, or if you feel burned out about those things too, it might be a broader issue.

as much as i love what i do, there are days i would rather being doing anything but.  my major triggers for work day blues are:

1. An arguement with my husband or a co-worker.

2. Not enough sleep, or at least not good sleep.

3. Aches and pains.

4. Weeks where I have few clients scheduled.

Being a massage therapist is a multidisciplinary occupation and one that requires a great deal of self maintenance.  There are habits you can build to help ward off the dulldrums. 

When i realized how much my personal conflicts interfere with my ability to focus on massage I had to sit down and talk with my husband about it.  It's actually helped us in our relationship to realize that what we do and say with/to each other has a farther reaching affect on our lives and that we have to respect each other's time commitments and states of mind. 

Getting really restful sleep is very important to a focused energized mind.  Adults need between 6 and 8 hours of really good sleep to be on top of their day.  One way to help yourself sleep better is to finish your last meal 2-3 hours before trying to sleep.  If you find yourself unable to get to sleep at the times you need to a sleep aid can help get a new routine started but is not a long term solution.  Planning a work out at some point during the day to burn up extra energy can help improve your sleep and improve your overall health.  In fact, a workout routine that includes some resistance training and some cardiovascular exercise will help your day to day energy levels if you maintain it.  It will also help condition your body against the wear and tear we therapists endure for our work. 

I've discovered that the fewer massages I do in a week, the less I want to do them.  When I am busier I tend to stay energetic and keep flowing.  Best solution I've come up with so far is when things are slow, offer discounts, call up family and friends and see if someone needs some work done.  Try to do at least one massage most days to keep yourself "in the groove" so to speak.

That's my long winded two cents ^_^

Burn out is so common for Massage Therapists.. we want to be as busy as possible but sometimes being busy isn't what it's all about. Giving a great massage, making the client feel good, and getting repeat clients is what's most important. Not sure what type of setting you work in but I am now self employed, mostly doing massages out of my home, some traveling, and I also do at least 1 day at a salon. Try to keep at least a half hour between appointments so that you're not rushing into the next and you have time to breathe. I know where I used to work if I had back to back clients I would be so stressed out. Also take notice, is it possible that it is certain clients giving you negative energy and making you feel this way? What I did when making the choice of leaving a previous salon job and starting my own business was made a list of the pros and cons.. not just of my current workplace but of being a Massage Therapist in general. What do YOU want your career to be like. Sleep, diet, exercise.. make sure everything in your life is well balanced and that you are taking the time to take care of YOU!! Relax: Massage & Spa

Hey, your two cents.  Worth gold..

Cassandra Cravens said:

as much as i love what i do, there are days i would rather being doing anything but.  my major triggers for work day blues are:

1. An arguement with my husband or a co-worker.

2. Not enough sleep, or at least not good sleep.

3. Aches and pains.

4. Weeks where I have few clients scheduled.

Being a massage therapist is a multidisciplinary occupation and one that requires a great deal of self maintenance.  There are habits you can build to help ward off the dulldrums. 

When i realized how much my personal conflicts interfere with my ability to focus on massage I had to sit down and talk with my husband about it.  It's actually helped us in our relationship to realize that what we do and say with/to each other has a farther reaching affect on our lives and that we have to respect each other's time commitments and states of mind. 

Getting really restful sleep is very important to a focused energized mind.  Adults need between 6 and 8 hours of really good sleep to be on top of their day.  One way to help yourself sleep better is to finish your last meal 2-3 hours before trying to sleep.  If you find yourself unable to get to sleep at the times you need to a sleep aid can help get a new routine started but is not a long term solution.  Planning a work out at some point during the day to burn up extra energy can help improve your sleep and improve your overall health.  In fact, a workout routine that includes some resistance training and some cardiovascular exercise will help your day to day energy levels if you maintain it.  It will also help condition your body against the wear and tear we therapists endure for our work. 

I've discovered that the fewer massages I do in a week, the less I want to do them.  When I am busier I tend to stay energetic and keep flowing.  Best solution I've come up with so far is when things are slow, offer discounts, call up family and friends and see if someone needs some work done.  Try to do at least one massage most days to keep yourself "in the groove" so to speak.

That's my long winded two cents ^_^

I agree with Gordon, great input Cassandra. 

Jimswife—if you can try to identify some of the triggers that set up those days where you're not feeling yourself, that can go a long way to helping relieve the burnout. If you know what to watch out for, you'll know when you need to seek out a pick-me-up. 

Here are some "Antidotes to Stress and Burnout" from Mary Beth Braun in our latest issue of Massage & Bodyworkhttp://www.massageandbodyworkdigital.com/i/78617/46

WOW....  Love the suggestions everyone!!  And Cassandra you were spot on!!  You basically opened up my eyes to what has been going on with me!  There is alot of stress in my life right now.  ALOT.  And it is major stuff.  Things that can't be ignored.   And it has definitely taken it's toll on me as well as my husband.  (nothing to do w/ our marriage and we aren't fighting) And my husband talked about it and I explained that I can NOT get in to discussions about what is going on after 8 PM.  (yes, I had to come up with a time frame)  Because I would get so upset/angry that I couldn't sleep.   I would get up exhausted because it was on my mind all night.  Then I would feel tired and stressed out all day.  Do that a few times a week and that just leaves you exhausted all the time!  I have been getting migraines on a regular basis which at times will keep me in bed for an entire day.   I am pretty sure I have some health issues going on that are also contributing to me feeling tired.  But it is rare for me to get a GOOD nights rest or wake up feeling rested.  Even though I tend to go to bed fairly early.  It is ridiculous!!  I have been known to have 2 -5hr energy drinks during my shift because I am that tired/weak. 

The place I work at usually keeps me pretty busy which is nice.   Most of the time I am running ragged the entire 6 hr shift.  There really isn't a "break" between clients.  They are scheduled every half hour (or hour).  I am considering cutting my hours down by an hour a shift.  It seems like that last hour puts me over my limit.  I tend to leave work hungry and tired.  I am mentally and physically spent.  Then I go home and want to inhale everything in sight!  And park my butt on the couch because I just don't have it in me to do much else.  And that isn't like me at all!   I have been gaining weight because of it!  I have a physically demanding job but I am packing on the pounds!!  Ugh..... 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service