massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

I'm relatively new to the massage world (been practicing 3 years) and was wondering how to work at a destination that I'd like to travel to ie: Wyoming, Oregon, Hawaii...  Would I contact a Hotel that offers massage therapy and ask if I could "fill in" for a week if one of their LMT's is on vacation...???

Has anyone done this already?  How did it work for you and did you like doing it?  Any problems?

Karen

Views: 337

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You might run into licensing problems.  Wyoming may not be regulated (not sure) but Oregon is, and Hawaii is.  Maybe you could get a temporary permit?  Suggest you as far in advance as possible

Thank you, Gary.   Your comments gave me a great place to start my inquiries!

I believe the only way to work on a vacation would be to go to an un regulated state.. And even then you would have to get a business license and pay fees, validate your training and so on.  A few hundred dollars...I lived in Hawaii, and I know you cant practice there unless you have a Hawaii State License..   But who knows ?...If you find anything out...Let us know.

Karen, it probably won't even come up if you work selectively, on family and friends of family as a means of covering vacation cost. During a vacation it's unlikely you'll be setting up in an outside office anyway. 

Thanks Gary,  I understand what you mean.  I was imagining that I could "work" in a hotel setting, cover for a massage therapist who might be on vacation for instance, just to get some experience in a "tourist" setting....But perhaps I'll just look for a continueing education course at my prefered destination instead.  :-)   It might be easier.                   

Thanks for the information, it was very helpful!  Now I'm thinking I should just look for a continueing-ed course and plan my trip around it.  :-)      Thanks again,

Gordon J. Wallis said:

I believe the only way to work on a vacation would be to go to an un regulated state.. And even then you would have to get a business license and pay fees, validate your training and so on.  A few hundred dollars...I lived in Hawaii, and I know you cant practice there unless you have a Hawaii State License..   But who knows ?...If you find anything out...Let us know.

Karen, if you're visiting family in one of those locations, it's maybe a possibility you might get a local therapist to allow you to work a bit, as a try-out, w/o worrying about the licensing.  If the location is up for discussion, if it is a choice, choose Hawaii, and take a Lomi-lomi class. 

Every inch of your legally exposed skin is lightly stroked, seemingly all at once -- lomi lomi is the most sensual experience you will ever have (not sexual at all, but sensual).  If you choose Hawaii, I'd be willing to go along if you'll buy my ticket :) 

I don't know if there are many opportunities on the massage side of things, but there is a network for fitness class instructors where they can get 50-75% off a stay at a resort by agreeing to teach just 1 class a day.

You can't find Zumba or Bikram instructors in Jamaica, but MTs are readily available and paid very little, so this may not be for you unless you are certified on the fitness classes.

Unregulated states (as of April 2012, from the ABMP state regulation guide) are Alaska, Kansas, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Vermont, and Wyoming. I agree with the others who said it could be complicated trying to go elsewhere to work as a short-term thing ... continuing education is probably the way to go!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service