massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

Ok...guess I'll be the first to start a discussion. I am a Reiki Master, and I teach Reiki to Massage Therapists and anyone else who wants to learn. However, I do not feel that I should teach just anyone how to be a Reiki Master, just because they pay me. I make the choice of who is allowed to come to the Reiki Master Course. What do you do? Am I being too cautious? I just feel that some people may only be taking the class to make money.....and Reiki is about healing, not making money. Don't get me wrong, I charge for the classes and my Reiki sessions, as Usui said we should, I just don't feel that some people are cut out to be Reiki Masters. What do you think?

Views: 195

Replies to This Discussion

Each of us have traveled varied paths to become Reiki Master/Teacher. In my case, there was three months practice from Level 1 to Level 2 and a 12 month practice period between Level 2 and Master. I have seen individules take a weekend from no experience to master over a Fri/Sat/Sun weekend.

We as Master/Teacher use our intuition to provide healing on our clients and, therefore, should use our intuition upon attuning new Masters/Teachers. We are the gate keepers of the modility and should require our students to maintain a level of compentency before we perform the attunment. Some students will excel faster that others because they resonate with "Univeral Energy" and their intentions are pure and true. We should be above the drive for money, and be pure in our intent to insure good teachers are out there. Remember, everyone that you attune, represents your standards and beliefs in the system. Don't we have a duty to protect the public? In most professions, a basic level of knowledge and skill must be demonstrated before they can do the work.
My feelings exactly Frank. THANK YOU

Frank Ansel said:
Each of us have traveled varied paths to become Reiki Master/Teacher. In my case, there was three months practice from Level 1 to Level 2 and a 12 month practice period between Level 2 and Master. I have seen individules take a weekend from no experience to master over a Fri/Sat/Sun weekend.

We as Master/Teacher use our intuition to provide healing on our clients and, therefore, should use our intuition upon attuning new Masters/Teachers. We are the gate keepers of the modility and should require our students to maintain a level of compentency before we perform the attunment. Some students will excel faster that others because they resonate with "Univeral Energy" and their intentions are pure and true. We should be above the drive for money, and be pure in our intent to insure good teachers are out there. Remember, everyone that you attune, represents your standards and beliefs in the system. Don't we have a duty to protect the public? In most professions, a basic level of knowledge and skill must be demonstrated before they can do the work.
I agree with Terri on this point. I have been teaching Reiki since 1997. Having experienced several "Masters" that in my opinion to not respect the process of Reiki and misuse the abilities gained from the Master attunement. Walking the path of a Reiki Master is a huge commitment and a great responsibility. I will not open that door for just anyone willing to pay a fee. I would rather not charge a fee and teach one who is worthy than charge a fee and teach someone I feel will dishonor the path we have all chosen to walk. I feel this kind of discernent is part of the responsibilities we take on as Reiki Masters.

Peace and Harmony
I know a Reiki master/teacher who decided to not include "teacher designation" with the Level III Master attunement, and offers it separately. I think this is wise. I know many people who are Reiki masters and while they may be able to pass attunements, they see it as a parlor game. I think to sepearate the teacher designation allows her to discern who really ought to be passing the Reiki heritage to others. I know "teachers" who think it's just fine to give attunements for all three levels to somebody in the same day, because they think it's all about people getting as many attunements as they can! So sad...at the end of the day, nobody could be getting much out of it.
One of the greatest joys of being a Reiki master is the gift to teach Reiki to others and this also helps the whole planet.
I agree with your comment about the Universe decides who is a Reiki master. I know 2 Reiki Masters who do not teach or do anything except self reiki and distant reiki. they are still healers in my opinion, but I know they feel inadequate. I was told this by one such Reiki Master recently. She said she was in awe of what I could do with healing. That made her feel inadequate. I have since taught her more of what I know and she is feeling more excited about healing again. I determined that her previous teacher left out many things or perhaps only instructed parts of the course. Many times the teacher may not teach but just go through the book of choice and show the symbols and their use. My first teacher did an attunement and then said read these 3 books and practice on yourself. Well, that was totally disappointing. So I looked for a Reiki circle that would help me to understand more about it. I learned so much I took her classes and became a Reiki Master/Teacher over the period of a year. In closing I feel that the person who I mentioned will still probably do reiki the same as before except with more understanding and without the feeling of being inadequate. Just because she prefers not to teach is her choice or perhaps the choice of the Universe.

Al Flemming, LMT, NCTMB, ACMT said:
It is my opinion that yes, you can chose who will be in your master course. The exercise of caution, though, is wise so that the assumption of whatever reason that may have for not attuning an individual to Reiki Master, is not bases in the thought that they are not to be a Reiki Master. It is for the Universe to decide who attunes whom and how they are attuned. We don't know all that is in the Universal Mind. So, we can only go by what we have/know now, and let the Universe handle the rest.

The Universe calls Reiki Masters. Through training we learn basics and fundamentals. It is that calling, whether attuned by another individual or not, that determines whether or not a person is a "true" Reiki Master. Again, the Universe will take care of the Universe, and all that is within. An individual may pursue the path of Reiki Master, and even become attuned, but if that is not their true calling, the Universe will direct them to where they are supposed to be.
Just adding my two pennies here....

For the most part, given what I've been reading here, actually refusing a student is not the common theme--reflecting/projecting on the possibility is.

Is this present moment thinking? Not in my book.

Does this have anything to do with a student who may or may never present themselves. Nope.

Speaking only for myself--When I find myself faced with a yet to happen/may never happen scenerio, it's all about something I need to learn and am not seeing clearly...the 'possible projection' is just a mirror.

For me, I would change the question from why a student should be rejected...to why do I need to have the fear this would happen in the first place.

I learn from every teacher and student....may not be the lesson I expected...but gold was to be found none the same.
I personally will not teach level two unless the person takes my level one class. And so on i need to see that they have true intentions. And a pure heart . To many in my area (sadly) either want the ceus, or to teach it for money. I feel it is a special and sacrade trade to be honored. So requesting a show of ur students commitment and intentions I feel is acceptable! ( I'm very sorry for my spelling. With all my studies, n many other matters I have not put in the time to correct this flaw of mine.)

Maria Troia said:
Terri,

I agree with you. I require an essay from students interested in being attuned to Reiki Master to help me discern what their goals are. I don't think you are being too cautious. I think you are discerning and conscious.

Maria
I have been a Reiki teacher (don’t like the “Master” for I feel that you cannot “master” Reiki) for about 10 years now, the thing that I have found is that someone that is in it “JUST FOR THE MONEY” will not be doing Reiki for long. It seems that the powers that be (call it what you will) moves them on to something other than Reiki after a time, most will not come back for level 2 or 3. I feel that the healing and getting Reiki will help everyone is some way, so I teach all that ask and let the Reiki energy sort them out. BUT if you feel someone should not be taught Reiki go with that feeling, I have only had the feeling from one person and it worked out for the best.

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service