massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

Every massage therapist has been trained never to work on an open lesion. We understand that bacteria from one client can be transferred to another so we practice sanitary hand washing between clients. However not all practitioners are taught that even minor lesions created by shaving, plucking, waxing, insect bites and pimples can cause risk for the client. These are not always visible lesions but according to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) they are enough to place the client at risk. Nearly all women shave their legs and most men shave their face while many can have a pimple or an insect bite that is virtually invisible to the therapist. Dried and cracked heels, elbows and knees, chapped hands and lips and pealing sunburns are all open lesions. We seldom see a client who does not have at least one of these conditions present at the time of a treatment session.

According to the CDC hand washing techniques in the health care industry is being more strictly enforced due to the increase in serious skin infections. A variety of upgrades including harsher antibacterial agents are being used in hand soap to insure sanitation. Flesh eating bacteria cases are arriving in the US and crossing every social and economic boundary as society becomes more mobile. Even these minor skin lesions can leave a client susceptible to cross contamination for disease related germs and viruses such as HIV, MRSA and other staph infections. Some of these infections can lead to serious illness requiring surgery and hospitalization and even death. In no other health care profession is so much of the skin touched and exposed to contamination than in the massage profession.

The need for strict sanitation criteria for stones came to the attention of our industry after a serious outbreak of MRSA in the Greece spa industry was reported in early 2009. Current research with the CDC is underway by the Geothermal Therapy Association but until final results can be published the recommendations are as follows:

1) Water must be changed between each client and the heating unit wiped out with antibacterial disinfectant. (DO NOT BELIEVE THE OUT DATED RESEARCH SAYING 90% OF BACTERIA ARE KILLED AT TEMPS OF 120 AND ABOVE….THESE GUIDELINES DO NOT PROTECT AGAINST H1N1 FLU VIRUS, MRSA OR HIV. HOSPITALS USE BOILING TEMPERATURES OF 220 AND ABOVE FOR TWENTY MINUTES WHEN HEAT IS USED AS A DISINFECT)

2) A hospital grade antibacterial agent such as MCP must be active in the water at all times. (MOUTH WASH, ESSENCIAL OILS OR OTHER UNTESTED METHODS OR INGREDIENTS WILL NOT HOLD UP IN COURT IF A CLIENT IS INFECTED AND SUES FOR COMPANSATION) **

3) Each stone must be sprayed with isopropyl alcohol and dried prior to replacing in heating unit after each use. (THIS INEXPENSIVE AND QUICK PROCESS IS A VITAL PROTECTION MEASURE)

4) Stones should be scrubbed with a brush and antibacterial soap if they have any pours surfaces. (IT MAY ‘FEEL’ SMOOTH BUT MOST STONES HAVE SOME POROSITY WHICH COLLECT DEAD SKIN CELLS AND DELIVER THEM TO THE NEXT SURFACE THEY TOUCH)

5) All cold stones must be wiped with alcohol between uses. (DELICATE STONES CAN BE PROTECTED WHILE INSURING SANITATION SIMPLY BY USING ALCOHOL IN A SMALL SPRAY BOTTLE)

** Sorry, these are not very ‘natural’ or ‘green’ sanitation procedures. Sadly this is a serious threat to the Geothermal Therapy industry. Remember oil and water does not mix so a few drops sitting on the surface of the water in a heating unit serve only as aroma therapy. Mouth wash is safe if swallowed and remember an oral bacterium is not the same as those found on the skin. **

Views: 5956

Replies to This Discussion

I have gone to the Spa Elegance website and I can not find a listing for MCP.  I have searched their website and looked within several categories.  Are there some brand names for products containing MCP?

What other types of hospital grade disinfectants can be used?  I teach at a massage school and teach hot stone massage.  I want to be able to instruct my students in proper sanitation procedures and want to know more about MCP and any associated health risks in its usage.   

Hi Jenny - Thank you for sharing this information.  I am new to hot stone massage and just completed massage school in California.  I do not have a store where I live that I can purchase basalt stones and the stone heater.  I have been searching online and want to make sure I buy what I need to get started.  Can anyone recommend a good source and what I should buy to get started?  Thank You

It looks like some of the stones I have seen on some websites were just picked up from the riverbank.  Jenny

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service