massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

The list of modalities we select from is very limited. ABMP list a glossary of many pages. Even Lomi Lomi which is a group here and a well known spa treatment, as well as Indigenous spiritual practice, is not among the selections. It would be nice if we could select from the glossary. Is there any way to change this? Are other people interested or are you satisfied with the brief list for selection.

It seems from many profiles that members often list anything they were exposed to in school. To me it seems more worthwhile to list what we actually practice. But currently we can't do this. In fact some of the modalities I do the most are not available. Shouldn't this list give our fellow Therapists an idea of what we do? How is it possible with such a limited list?

http://www.massagetherapy.com/glossary/

Views: 409

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Daniel,

Great question! ABMP has always embraced all types of bodyworkers, and we want everything we do to reflect that. As far as the list of available modalities for your MassageProfessionals.com profile, we basically just started with some of the most commonly-practiced techniques and will add others by request--so if there's something else you'd like added by all means let me know, and we'd be happy to add it to the available options! Thanks, and let me know if you have any other questions or want a particular modality added to the list.

Best regards,

Abram Herman

Site Moderator at MassageProfessionals.com

Social Media Coordinator at ABMP

~

I'm rather unconcerned with this for three reasons.  First, and perhaps this applies to all of us here, this is a gathering of massage therapists, not massage therapists and their clients, or even prospective clients.  With that said, I'm not concerned with impressing fellow massage therapists with all the cool massage modalities that are out there, or ones I practice.  Please understand that we call all still write about the modalities we love.  Why is it important to list it on ones profile??

Second, massage modalities are featues, not benefits.  Massage modalities and features are only 'words' used in a circle of people (such as massage therapists or other medical professionals) that use the same lingo.  Even on my own massage website I keep these to a minimum, as clients want, let's say, the benefit of deep tissue massage, not the words and descriptions of deep tissue massage.  Thus I write about what people actually want, not stylish sounding massage modalities.  (They don't understand what most of them are anywho, so why list them?) 

Third, just because someone lists Lomi Lomi as a description on their profile doesn't mean they even practice it, or have any real in-depth knowledge o this art.  This comes from experience, and even shows itself in those who truly know an art and then write about it.  Their writing skills demonstrate their wisdom of the art and of how to write.    

With all that said, I do understand that this is a discussion board and only 'words.'  Yet, I don't see any value in being able to list Lomi Lomi on my profile.  Once again, if I can write about Lomi Lomi, the benefits of Lomi Lomi, then fellow massage therapists will see that I've learned, understood and practice the art of Lomi Lomi. 

Your mileage may vary  ;)

Kris

Abram, I would like to be able to list Lomi Lomi, Medical Qi Gong, and Korean Martial Therapy with my other modalities. That should give a start.

Kris I understand what you are saying but for me it is simply to allow other MTs to contact those doing the same modality or one that they have interest in. The member search already provides for that but the list is very short. Since the current list is mostly generic modalities, not branded, this is not about private brand promotion. Of the three I requested two are generic.

Abram Herman said:

Hi Daniel,

Great question! ABMP has always embraced all types of bodyworkers, and we want everything we do to reflect that. As far as the list of available modalities for your MassageProfessionals.com profile, we basically just started with some of the most commonly-practiced techniques and will add others by request--so if there's something else you'd like added by all means let me know, and we'd be happy to add it to the available options! Thanks, and let me know if you have any other questions or want a particular modality added to the list.

Best regards,

Abram Herman

Site Moderator at MassageProfessionals.com

Social Media Coordinator at ABMP

I've added those three modalities as options, they should now be available for you to select on your profile. Let me know if you think of anything else!

Thanks,

Abram

Daniel Cohen said:

Abram, I would like to be able to list Lomi Lomi, Medical Qi Gong, and Korean Martial Therapy with my other modalities. That should give a start.

Kris I understand what you are saying but for me it is simply to allow other MTs to contact those doing the same modality or one that they have interest in. The member search already provides for that but the list is very short. Since the current list is mostly generic modalities, not branded, this is not about private brand promotion. Of the three I requested two are generic.

I think this is the most beautiful part of massage. We learn so much from one another. Even if we aren't exposed to a certain modality, we are able to jump on a forum like this and discuss. If anything, having too many options limits our opportunity to explore.
Wow! Since Lomi Lomi became a modality to select on profiles we have grown to 43 when searched by using Lomi as the keyword.
If someone put a gun to my head and said. " From now on, you can only use one style of massage to do for the rest of your life."  Id pick Lomi Lomi.
With all the styles you know Gordon, that is quite a statement.

Gordon J. Wallis said:
If someone put a gun to my head and said. " From now on, you can only use one style of massage to do for the rest of your life."  Id pick Lomi Lomi.
I lived on Maui for 18 years...I was running 2 to 10 miles every other day... And I was getting a massage every week.. Oh man,,,My favorite therapist did Lomi Lomi...Its a good rub down..super good.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service