massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

~

Oh, the flap on The View.  I’m sure this will carry on for days and weeks.

Here's a YouTube link:  The View - Al Gore's massage and other poorly chosen comments

Yea, our profession was ‘wronged.’ 

Here’s my advice:  Use it. 

I’m sure no one here as ever called a doctor a quack, or an attorney/lawyer an ambulance chaser, or a computer expert a nerd.

Sure, most of us are not on national TV, but I've seen a ton of 'foot in mouth disease' from all kinds of industries. 

Please note that I’m not defending anything that was said.

Here’s my point:

What are each and every one of us going to do (other than complain) to improve our own massage business/practice?  Can you take what was said and use it to stoke that internal fire?  Go and find a mirror and take a long hard look at yourself.  Talk to yourself (or others) and figure out how to use this to improve your own business.  Do you have a burning desire to be respected as a professional massage therapist or bodyworker?  Then put this to use! 

Is it just me, or can anyone else see an opportunity here?  To break away from the pack?  Leave the weak behind and step up to the plate!

What can you use from that TV show to really turn internally and improve upon?  Are we always as professional as we can be with our clients?  How about customer service?  What about all that time and energy wasted in internal dialogue complaining about how we were ‘dissed’ and put it to good use in creating a new massage marketing campaign?

Action speaks louder than words.  Lead by example. 

Who/what can we change?  Ourselves.

What is demanding an apology from The View going to do?  The damage has already been done. 

Are we, each and every one of us, doing all that we can?  Being the best that we can be?

I know that's what I'm focusing on.

Kris

Views: 1060

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ezekiel,

Ezekiel OBrien said:
The kind of power the wealthy yield in America is stunning and easily abusive.
i notice that Americans are celebrity crazed. and unbelievably red / blue. i learned that the liberal comedians avoid the Gore scandal. the feminists as well. that disquiets me.
i did research on narcissism and found Dr. Drew Pinsky's study.

"Celebrity narcissists aren't egomaniacs with high self-esteem. Rather, they are traumatized individuals who are unable to connect in any real way with other people. They are driven to attain fame, with its constant stream of attention, flattery, and empowerment, because they need the steady trickle of adoring recognition to take the place of any kind of real self-love or self-respect."
Dr. Drew Pinsky, and Dr. S. Mark Young, The Mirror Effect. How Celebrity Narcissism Is Seducing America, pg. ?, Harper, 1st edition, 17. March 2009

"Narcissism is not a byproduct of celebrity, but a primary motivating force that drives people to become celebrities."
Study on Celebrity Narcissism, Journal of Research in Personality, October 2006
more here: http://de.spiritualwiki.org/Wiki/Narzissmus#toc8

Al Gore had an ueberfather. and his training was to the "next president". Naomi Wolf had coached him into appearing manly.
"Al Gore: Second Class Male" By Lowell Ponte, FrontPageMagazine.com, November 10, 1999
http://97.74.65.51/readArticle.aspx?ARTID=21612

My gut feeling is that she is very brave if she is telling the truth and a damn fool if she is not.
that how i see it too. it takes a red haired Irish lady to go get 'em. however, she is in hiding. the press was at her house the next
day. she does not seem to be at home. the neighbors take care of her birds.

As for the view I hope those in Germany do not count the ladies among our greatest philosophers it is an entertainment show and not very entertaining at that.
really not. i miss Barbara Walters on the show. she's a lady (in nearly most of the shows.) and well prepared.
Whoopi Goldberg is well known here. the three others are no bigshots to us. you would never hear such a shouting match on German TV. these ladies are copying the men who are into shouting as well - and they politisize the topics.
however, The View had both of the Obamas on air. Hagerty will soon have some fame.
and Walters was the one to interview Lewinsky back in the Clinton days - diligently.
Barbara Walters on interviewing Monica Lewinsky http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0kKDVaHyzk

i can imagine that Oprah Winfrey will have Hagerty on her show. she is a victim of sexual abuse herself and is still studying the
ramifications around it. The View ladies did not want to upset Oprah by speaking fondly of the author of her unauthorized biography "Oprah". politics again.
so they acted despectfully. this is bad.
and these View ladies are among those to learn from the Gore-Hagerty scandal. depending on the feedback they get.
what i learned from Hagerty is 2 out of 10 mobile in-room LMTs are inclined to give sensual massages in sexy attire. one must give credit to that fact as well. and the View ladies focused on that. they can do better -- with Barbara W.

Hotel Lucia will have their reputation damaged as for their questionable management.
the trend is: success in business will be when you act with integrity and transparency. they didn't.
now they -- and many of that kind - are being exposed.

The police and the press who had suppressed the case will also be given a look. Gore's divorce - after having
secured his estate in a limited company was the moment to step in - via the National Enquirer.

the Gore entourage - like the Woods entourage - must know about Al Gore's appetites. they do the bookings.
when the time has come these supersuperrich abusers do themselves in. they want to be found out - unconsciously.
Well said Kris. I feel the same. We should work on our own individual practices instead of complaining and demanding apologies. We are not the first profession to be slandered or made jokes of, and we won't be the last.

The tide will turn on it's own when there are more ethically professional MTs then the others and that will take time. And as long as we as individuals work on educating our own networks and circles of clientele, that's the best we can do in educating the masses.
I disagree. We have guests sign a waiver of liability and a consent for care form prior to the start of each session. It makes it abundantly clear and reinforces to the guest that this is a professional service that is part of the hotel's amenity offerings.

No, it might not have stopped Al Gore from being a jerk, but I am quite confident it has dissuaded some creeps contemplating bad behavior. It also had fended off a few threats of lawsuit -- wild cranks who threaten to sue the hotel for a "bad massage" or alleged bad behavior by the MT have ll the wind taken out of their sails when they realize the waiver let the hotel off the hook. NO deep pockets, no lawsuit. Funny how that happens...

Choice Kinchen said:
BR>While having a waiver and having someone sign it is a good idea, don't think that that piece of paper will protect you. It's like having a restraining order filed on someone....looks good, doesn't stop them if they decide to break it.
Hey, I know this is a serious conversation, but I can't resist posting this
ABMP offered a free massage to the ladies of THE VIEW.
there is another slanderous show "Red Eye" to service with that gracious offer.
watch this: Money-Hungry Masseuse Sat June 26, Fox News
http://news.yahoo.com/video/politics-4226716/money-hungry-masseuse-...
this link cannot been seen in Europe, it works in USA (i suppose)
http://video.foxnews.com/v/4259324/money-hungry-masseuse/?playlist_...

neighbors of Hagerty say: she is friendly, honest, and spiritual.
this group of comedians goes against other buzzwords like "astrology" and "acupuncture".
where are the associations of astrologers and acupuncturists?
best, Elf
Darcy Neibaur said:
~

Thanks Emmanuel and Lara ;)

Kris
it happened in Scotland in 2006. Massage therapist got fired by posh hotel owner who is friends with Hollywood celeb
who had committed sexual assault. trial was stopped.
http://www.theipinionsjournal.com/index.php/2006/04/hollywood-megas...
Thursday, ipinions Journal, April 27, 2006
~

It seems all the emotional uproar has subsided. What's happening now???

I thought I read somewhere that ABMP offered the staff of The View free massages. Is this true?

Is this our industries response to educate others? Throw free massages at them??

Curious...

Kris
~

Ezekiel wrote: "Our industry, for the most part, is composed of lower to middle income skilled service workers. "The View" is part of a multi billion entertainment company and most of the ladies on The Viewhave had single years of income that dwarf what many of us will make in lifetime of massage therapy."

Kris: This is one of the points I attempted to make during the big uproar and many 'Demanding' an apology. C'mon people, get a grip. How did YOU re-act when someone demanded something from you? Most of us re-act defensively, even though we may have been in the wrong or said something out of turn.

Where are the leaders of our industry? What are they doing besides throwing out a free massage? Leadership is developed during crisis, not when the waters are calm. Have any of the head-honchos asked (not demanded) a meeting with the producers and directors of this show to explain (not demand) our position? This, I would think, would be good money spent in flying out to wherever the meeting is and have some discussions. Wow, can one imagine if there was an agreement and we had a skit on The View about 'real' professional massage therapists and what it is we do? Isn't this why these people were elected to these top positions? Their management and leadership skills? Assist the 'common MT' when issues like this arise? Be the professional voice of professional massage therapists?

Heck, I'll do it. I'll go meet with them spending my own money to finance the trip. Unfortunately I doubt that will happen. I doubt I'll have the backing of anyone due to the fact that I'm not in agreement with the 'consensus' of demands, as well as a bit of a heretic. I don't 'tow the company line' all that well. I suppose that's why I work for myself. Full responsibility for my words and actions ;)

Besides, if one reads my initial post here, I'm on my own agenda. I educate and do what I can. It's just interesting to me to watch this 'issue' fizzle out like all the rest, becoming nothing more than a bunch of MT's complaining.

Kris
I suppose I should no longer be shocked by hypocrisy, but it is just mind-numbing that these so-called "open-minded" liberals who are supposed to be concerned with women and the little guy can, without a 2nd thought, completely trash a segment of the economy based on new thinking about health and bodywork that is dominated by women and low to middle income Americans?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service