massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

Need some wording advice on a sign for gratuity.  Any suggestions?

Views: 13751

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm done on the subject and I sure would love to hear what you have decided on posting up if anything Anne!
Massage Envy has gratuity Envelopes.
thanks for all the responses.  I didn't think it would cause such a stir. As of now, I have not posted a sign.  I don't know what I will do in the future, thanks for all the help!
What is nice about it all Anne, is whatever decision you decide on will be the correct decision for you.

Why don't you just charge more?  It sounds like you are depending on tips?  Are you working for someone or have your own place?

Julie

As I am in private practice and specialize in injury correction, I don't accept gratuities.  I charge a bit more than the average so it's essentially rolled in.  I don't tip my chiropractor or acupuncturist because they are viewed as medical professionals.

I'd like to think that they type of work I do is equal to the above.  My clinic has more of a medical feel and would like to be recognized as such.  This isn't really feasible for spa workers.  I'd say, if there is a place on the credit card slip that indicates Tip, that should be a sufficient reminder.  Or you could always design a simple receipt of your own that shows them the services rendered, fee and line for gratuity.  They could bring this to the cashier and it'd all work out.  That's the technique my hairstylist uses.  

Just have the client sign a receipt that has a line for gratuity, just like at a restaurant. Your cc machine can do this or you can have forms printed, or QuickBooks can print it out for the client to sign.

Anything else smacks of solicitation.

Hopefully, you have been encouraged by whatever you choose will be just that, your choice. This wasn't supposed to be an issue of right or wrong, just an innocent suggestion request, I'm sorry for encouraging anything otherwise.

Anne Kratochvil said:
thanks for all the responses.  I didn't think it would cause such a stir. As of now, I have not posted a sign.  I don't know what I will do in the future, thanks for all the help!
Do you tip your doctor?
Assuming you are a self employed professional, it would lower the tone of your practice if you were to suggest a tip. It would of course be different if you were working for a boss in an industry that paid a low wage and you were reliant on tips to make a living.

Comparing tipping doctors to Massage therapists is not very comparative.  Doctors go through 8 year of medical school (or whatever it is) and can see 20 people in an hour and hire other people in an office to see even more patients and are paid by all the major insurance companies.

Your feelings about tipping are a good reflection on your beliefs about money and having money - whatever that might tell you.

Julie

Rather large leaps being taken here.  It is possible the question posed is by someone who works in a spa or salon environment where tips happen frequently or they see themselves working in a service profession rather than as a health care worker.  The whole "health providers don't get tipped" argument doesn't work in that situation. 

I don't have any signage.  If someone asks about tips I tell them they are not necessary.  However, IMHO, clients who offer me a tip after the session is complete are not insulting me in any way.  Just the opposite!  In this economy giving someone an extra bit of hard earned cash means something to them.  I choose to work in a service profession which by its very nature tipping is a most common occurrence.  I find it is more insulting to the client to turn it away rather than graciously accept it.  Generally when it is offered I accept it, smile, put it in my pocket without looking at it and give a genuine thank you.  It doesn't matter if it is $2 or $20 -- everyone gets a smile and genuine thank you.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service