massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

I know, I'm nosey. I was a travel writer.

For six years, I got to travel to Bed & Breakfasts and get massages, all for free, and write about it. So my roots are in traveling, meeting people and hearing their stories. Now I travel around and do The World Massage Festival & Massage Therapy Hall of Fame.

I found the adjustment to a single location massage establishment, inside a strip mall, very confining. So I started a way to stay "in the massage world and travel!" But that is another story!

What's your story? What did you do before massage? Tell us of your travels and what massage is like where you are, especially if you massage outside the U.S. We really like pictures, if possible.

If you get bored come see me at my page http://www.massageprofessionals.com/profile/MikeHinkle

Thanks and welcome to Massage Professionals!

Views: 4801

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I earned my massage school tuition as a bartender. I have to say I loved bartending because I found people so interesting when they let their hair down, just as they do with massage. As a matter of fact, I consider both drinking and massage stress relievers, only massage is healthier. I've only had a real office job for short periods of time and found them too confining. I like people and am much more content working with the public. I love the many shapes, sizes, conditions, and personalities of my clients, with each bringing their own challenge to the table.

I was lucky enough to begin my career just before professional massage took off, before there was much of any national public relations efforts. It's been fun watching the profession change and grow.

I work in metro-Atlanta and it has a long, rich history of deep tissue and neuromuscular therapy. There is plenty of stress, but Atlantans aren't quite as tight wired as folks from, say, New York City, so it's just a pleasure working with them.
Marketing and office management for a chiropractor, before that sales and software training...
Hairdresser, Florist, Health Educator. Homeschooling Mum . :-)
Looking for massage therapists wanting Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential oils to use in their clinics. check www.mydoterra.com/naturesgifts
and ask me about free essential oils in the dare to compare campaign.
Prior to massage, I was in the service industry,climbing the classic employee to management ladder in a small dying breed business of full service automotive. . But, I discovered a lack of satisfaction in helping others this way. My sister returned to this area and I supported her career ideas by helping her return to certify in acupressure while I started massage training. I fell in love with this all encompassing life and discovered that I have talent! Turns out that as I look back at my interests, they spoke loudly for years about my lifepath-literature, music, chakra healing, stones, energy, ghost hunting or spiritual stories, whole body health, exercise, out of body travels, mediums, people's inner stories. I've been told that people tell me their most innermost info, which occurs without words now too. I have had the pleasure of receiving massage in Costa Rica in 2008, in a fabulous open door and fire burning locale called the Lost Iguana at the base of Arenal Volcano, while it was erupting!! And again on the Manuel Antonio five star hotel where it was truly about making money and not about either of us in the session. California teems with massage in the Sacramento area, so it can literally be pick and choose what you're in the mood for.
I was a technician at Verizon Wireless. I got paid to get yelled at all day because peoples phone didnt work.
I've had quite a variety of jobs (mostly office and medical work) and I've been a stay at home mom. Wanted to get into massage school for about 15 years and I'm finally doing it.
I can't answer the question as written, as I am not an MT. I've been a PT for 25 years, started MFR training 18 years ago. Before that...a bike mechanic for many, many years.
I was a Graphic Designer and computer geek!
Wow, a lot of responses there for you Mike!

I spent about five years hitchhiking and living out in the bush. While in Key West FL, I met a massage therapist who was on vacation and he gave me my first ever massage. Up to that point, I thought massage was something only the wealthy got on vacation. Well, he explained his training and I thought that was interesting then when I was hitchhiking by myself and my dog in Venezuela, I realized maybe that was something I could do to get up enough money to purchase a sailboat and then I wouldn't have to worry about people telling me where I could and couldn't sleep at night! Plus my mother wanted to help pay for me to develop a trade. I choose massage because I've built cabins, dug ditches, built a barn, carved stone, crochet--so I knew I'd be good with my hands. I was fascinated with the healing arts while traveling and learned about using food and herbs as medicine from old timey folks living in the mountains and such, but massage was the only thing out of all of those that I could actually make some decent money.

So, I took up my mom's offer, went to massage school and then lo and behold met a wonderful man who wanted to marry me so the sailboat never happened and I'm not sorry for it. Hmmm, sailboat around the world or live a life of pure love with another human, not a hard decision on my part.

Well, that's the short version, here I've been working successfully as a full time massage therapist for ten years! I've just finished the second draft of my travel book. I hitchhiked back and forth across the U.S. about four times, crept into Mexico illegally with my dog and a former boyfriend and then hitchhiked down the East coast of Mexico through Chiapas and back up the West coast, hitchhiked a sailboat ride to the Bahamas (where I eventually got deported for camping in the bush for a month or so) and then hitchhiked around Venezuela. Much of the time sola, but usually with people I'd meet traveling. Never had any problems, I'll send you a copy of the book if you'd like!

The biggest change was that I really wanted to make a difference in society and finally realized that in order to do so, I had to get back in it. I couldn't do too much living on the outskirts! For many people that seems like a no-brainer but it has been difficult for me to leave my life of sleeping on the ground under the stars, never in building except when buying food and such. I was brought up within societal norms but quickly became so comfortable living outside of them. It has been a difficult journey, it hasn't been easy, but something keeps me at it!
My background is in social work. Worked with kids and for voc rehab as a counselor. Then human services jobs that were more management & training. Enjoyed them all but wanted something more hands on. 19 years later still doing massage.
I was an administrative assistant for five years then a buyer for the other five. I knew for years that I wanted to be a massage therapist. So I am extremely happy to changes professions and do something so very rewarding and relaxing.
Before massage I was a lawyer and a family court magistrate referee. Very high stress and the type of job where no one wants to see you. So after 32 years I retired and decided to start over doing something that I loved and that would decrease the stress in people's lives instead of add to it. I'll be graduating in about a month. It's been an eye opening and challenging year---I've learned so much. But now---yikes I have to figure out how to practice in the real world and it seems so very confusing but exciting too!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service