massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

I am still looking for better solutions for getting oil completely out of my sheets. I have all kinds of sheets and I use high quality oils, but still have an issue with my sheets eventually smelling rancid. I have tried Clean Again and soaking them in Dawn (which by far worked the best but Dawn is not good in the washing machine). I have tried every good detergent to no avail. I use oils that say it will not stain sheets and washes out of the sheets. What works for you?

Views: 79

Replies to This Discussion

Laura Allen posted previously that adding some vinegar to the wash removes the stains, smell, and does not leave a vinegar smell. I use "Squeaky Green" by Method. I have yet to have any issues with it, but I also use 100% organic, unrefined Jojoba.
Hmmm, I will have to try this. Thanks,

Marissa Macias said:
Laura Allen posted previously that adding some vinegar to the wash removes the stains, smell, and does not leave a vinegar smell. I use "Squeaky Green" by Method. I have yet to have any issues with it, but I also use 100% organic, unrefined Jojoba.
I have been using Amway SA8 in hot water that seems to remove stains, oils and has no odor.

An alternative is to look into a different washing machine when yours breaks.  I have a Fisher & Paykel which has a 3-hour mode of wash, soak, rinse, extra rinse, etc.   I always use this cycle on hot, for my sheets.  I wash them at night when I come home and transfer them to the dryer in the morning when I wake up.

It is typical for me to wash at least one load per day --- which means that by the time I get to my day off, I usually have about 2-3 loads extra to wash, unless I didn't wash for a day or so during the work-week and have to play catch-up with more sheets. My machine holds 4 sheet sets at a time. I generally see between 15 & 21 clients per week. 

I have never had any staining issues.

My sheets are the regular cotton (may be a blend) twins from Wal-Mart. I know it sounds cheap, but they are crisp and don't wear much. I only have one set of flannel and one set of micro-fiber.

I use Natural Formulations Golden Jojoba for the most part; it is a little more expensive, but I have no issues with it in my wash. 

I use liquid All Free & Clear for my detergent.  Nothing else, unless I drop a splash of bleach in the wash, if there are some mascara stains on the face cradle covers that I couldn't get to come out with OxyClean spray.

From another forum, this thread may be helpful.

Also, someone from that forum mentioned the following, in another thread:

I have used jojoba in the past and had oil in my sheets after washing. I never noticed oil in the dryer though! A long time ago when I was still using jojoba I had to take a couple sets of sheets to the office, but the basket had to stay with the other sheets. We put the sheets in a paper bag and they stayed there for a few hours. When I went to get the sheets I noticed the bag had dark spots on it. The oil on the sheets was transferring to the bag, thus the dark spots on the bag. I switched from jojoba to FCO because jojoba had increased in price so much.

For those who use oil, put a fresh washed set of sheets in a paper bag and see if happens for you.

I tried her suggestion in 2013, when I ended up with two sets of sheets that I missed washing and they looked a bit maxed out. I put two sets of sheets in a paper bag and left them in there for three days. No oil spots, and no dark spots.

So, it may be another option to try.  :)

RSS

© 2022   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service