massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

Grooviest hair in the profession - Dalton, Hinkle or Baltz?

This is a pretty big question, I know.

It may not be as serious as commenting on the latest release of the MTBOK (something we ALL should be doing since it will have a major impact on our profession), but it's still something we should think about and ponder while we're in the shampoo aisle.

OK so, here are the nominations:

Erik Dalton PhD

Mike Hinkle

Bruce Baltz

Steve Capellini

Yamuna Zake

John Barnes

Chip Hines

Christopher A. Moyer PhD

Gloria Coppola

TO VOTE:   Click here

THE SURVEY WILL BE OPEN UNTIL MARCH 3rd. 

ALSO, the MTBOK comment period is open until March 8th, but please don't leave it 'til the last minute.

I'll keep you update on the "who's in the lead" every couple of days (along with a wee reminder to COMMENT ON THE MTBOK!!!  I might add a joke or two here and there). 

Please feel free to put the link all over the place.

May all your locks be lovely and may you never have a bad hair day.

MTBOK = serious stuff.

Lovely hair = not that serious.

Views: 926

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

THIS IS THE LAST DAY OF VOTING ON THE GROOVIEST HAIR!

So please vote if you haven't already.

Also, there is still time to give comments on the MTBOK. I know - you've heard the squirrel rant on and on about it! But there's a reason. I don't want people running around with Spector head PLUS IT'S IMPORTANT, dang it!
I finished reading the MTBOK just today and enjoyed reading this second draft.

Vlad said:
THIS IS THE LAST DAY OF VOTING ON THE GROOVIEST HAIR!

So please vote if you haven't already.

Also, there is still time to give comments on the MTBOK. I know - you've heard the squirrel rant on and on about it! But there's a reason. I don't want people running around with Spector head PLUS IT'S IMPORTANT, dang it!
Darcy - thanks for your input! I thought it was an interesting read too. I think a lot of people might be put off because it's 56 pages long, but it really doesn't take that long to go through it.

Anybody else got any general comments about the document overall (not specific - if it's specific then please give comments confidentially on the online comment form)?
Vlad said:
Darcy - thanks for your input! I thought it was an interesting read too. I think a lot of people might be put off because it's 56 pages long, but it really doesn't take that long to go through it.

Anybody else got any general comments about the document overall (not specific - if it's specific then please give comments confidentially on the online comment form)?

Hey Vlad -

1. I'm humbled that I'm probably going to come in second, at best, behind Dr. Dalton. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I wanted to win. I always want to win!

2. The MTBOK - my general comment is that I'm really dismayed that it still contains multiple references to "energy". And yes, those scare quotes are necessary.
OK, everyone.
It's official. The profesion has voted.
Erik Dalton, PhD, has the grooviest hair in the profession.

Yep and when Cypher said "All I see now is blonde, brunette, redhead. .." he was predicting the outcome of the poll since Dr. Moyer came second and Gloria came 3rd.

This thread has been a lot of fun for me and so I want to thank all those that voted, gave input and I ESPECIALLY want to thank everyone that commented on the MTBOK.
If you haven't commented yet, you still have time since the comment period ends on the 8th.
Can I demand a recount?

Were there any hanging chads?

What would the Supreme Court have to say about this?

Ah, never mind. I love the profession, and I don't want to put it through all that. I humbly accept this defeat so that we can all move forward. Congratulations, Dr. Dalton! Hail to the Chief.
Hey Doc,
It was an accomplishment coming in second and there's no harm in admitting you always want to win. I think most people are like that anyway, aren't they? I dunno.

OK, so, if you want to take a little serious sidetrack in the thread, I'm open to it. You say that there are references to energy work in the MTBOK and you've put it in scary quotes. Here's what I'm wondering. There are multiple references to energy work, yes. I can spot 3 places where it's referenced directly. As of last week, there were 400 comments given. There are at least 250,000 massage therapists in the U.S.
When I gave comments it took me about a half hour and I didn't count the number of comments, but I think it would have been 'round 10 comments since the form is very streamlined. It requires line numbers. The form is actually very, very good because it forces some level of detail from the comment giver. Most of mine were actually "this needs clarification" and to be honest, I don't think anyone could go through the whole doc without having something needed clarified.
I didn't count myself as being very, very "tooth comby" in my review of it, but if I count my level of input as being the average number per person then that means that probably 40 people have given comments.
40 people.

Taking into account that the evidenced based community that have an issue with energy work have seriously weighed in on this taking into account that at least 3 comments are needed per person?
I don't think they have.

Here's another thing that I'm thinking: Everything is new.
The MTBOK is new and the way that they're handling things is really, really good insofar as trying to get feedback from the community. They're trying to incorporate as much of a democratic process as possible, but it's all new to most people. The concept itself is new and the process is new.
This site is new and the flow of information provided by it is new.
Evidenced based practice In the U.S. and the thoughts/concepts behind it is pretty new too, I think. The EB people that spearhead it are Canadian. It's so new, there really aren't any outspoken leaders in it in the U.S. that have emerged (basically an American Bodhi, although I don't know if there could be another Bodhi, but you know what I'm getting at)(Oh and "Go Canada" - if it was an Irish female hockey team that won, they'd be drinking whiskey and smoking cigs that are actually worth smoking).

So the fact that everything is new is a real challenge for everyone and I also think it invokes fear (and fear is a bloody awful thing to deal with). However, the fact that the MTBOK is viewed of as an evolving, living document that will continually change means that it should adapt to the change.

Here's another thought. As far the energy question goes and the MTBOK, I don't envy the decision that those involved in the task force have regarding it. If they take it out, then what will happen? If they keep it in, then what will happen? You know, it's not an easy thing to deal with because there are hard issues with whatever path they take.
It's a hard one.

One thing is for sure - the fact that they only got 400 comments as of last week should make the whole profession be ashamed of itself. EVEN if you count just educators weighing in on this and schools, they should have got SOOOOO many freakin' comments. Know what it says to me? People talk and talk and write on these boards giving their opinion on so much trivial stuff, it's unbelievable - when it comes down to something that actually matters, they "couldn't be arsed" as they say in Ireland. It's disgusting.

That serious enough for ya, Doc?

Christopher A. Moyer said:
Vlad said:

Hey Vlad -

1. I'm humbled that I'm probably going to come in second, at best, behind Dr. Dalton. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I wanted to win. I always want to win!

2. The MTBOK - my general comment is that I'm really dismayed that it still contains multiple references to "energy". And yes, those scare quotes are necessary.
I don't actually know what happaned in that 3rd paragraph - but you know what I meant, right? I was in a hurry, OK?
I don't think enough of your EB buddies have given input. What do you think? Or is it a case of there just being being so few?
They're trying to incorporate as much of a democratic process as possible

They are, but that is actually a problem, in my opinion. The accumulation of knowledge is a meritocratic process more than it is a democratic one. If some folks think that energy medicine is an integral part of the knowledge base of massage therapy, and some other folks think that it is not and must be excluded, it doesn't necessarily follow that the truth is halfway between those two positions. (If we were talking about viewpoints, or perspective, or opinion, it might be a different matter, but we're not - the document is entitled the Massage Therapy Body of Knowledge. One cannot have knowledge of something for which there is no evidence.)

The MTBOK should be limited to those aspects of MT about which nearly everyone is in agreement. The document can still be "living" and incorporate new knowledge as it is acquired.
I see your point. The document should be a common denominator for everyone to go on.
So what I wonder is if references to energy work were extracted would there be a brown-smelly storm? And if so, does the storm need to happen anyway? If it's not taken out now, will it just be postponing the inevitable?
I don't see why it shoudn't be totally extracted. Massage Therapy ("the manipulation of soft tissue" is what I was taught) is the base from which all modalities should be built on. I don't do energy work. I'm not totally evidenced based though, but if they include references to energy, then I think it's just asking for other non-evidenced based modality references to get plugged in there too and that's were there will more than likely be big problems.

Oh, and I was wrong about the 3 references - there are a lot more than that! (I was out of sorts this morning) So, actually, this is really an indication that the pro-EB peeps have not weighed in enough since so few comments have been submitted.

Anxiety and depression were both mentioned in it. Your meta-analysis article wasn't cited though. Do you have any thoughts on the references to research articles in the document?
(By the way, I talk about research in A&D quite a bit in my practice now since so many of my clients suffer from one or both of those. I heard in a wee radio program lately that major depressive disorder afflicts 17 million Americans every year. Also, the other day I walked past the Self Help section in Barnes and Noble and saw rows upon rows of books on A&D. I felt like putting a wee note in each saying "Get a massage - it's been scientifically shown to help")
Actually Vlad, all the Dalton's raised in this area (Oklahoma) are related to the Dalton Gang. Some of the Daltons were bandits and some were lawmen (divided by a very fine line...much like the politicians today).

My grandfather Charlie Dalton was a pretty well-known 'old west' sherif so my Mom named me Erik Deputy Dalton after him. Never really liked 'Deputy' as a middle name until I started getting speeding tickets as a teenager. Oddly, when I'd tell the officer the weird middle name story ..they would often let me go.

Grandparents on my Dad's side were from Oslo. They never visited Oklahoma for fear of Indian ambush...too many John Wayne movies I guess.

Vlad said:
Erik, you know, I was wondering where you got your groovy hair from. "Maybe he's descended from the Daltons, you know, The Wild Bunch - since his hair is sometimes wild", I wondered, "Or maybe he's descended from the Vikings because of the way he spells his name". Since you look nothing like any of these fellas, I'm going with the Nordic Viking theory.
Erik,
Wow. So I wasn't totally askew in my thinking, was I?
Very cool.

Having Deputy as your middle name is brilliant! Your Mum is a very smart woman.
So hey, I'm going to have to get an incredibly important certificate to you. Here's the big question: Are you going to have a special place set up in your home for the "Groovy Hair Certificate" to be displayed? 'Cos you know it's just the most incredible prize ever, right? I mean, getting your PhD pales into insignificance compared to this.

Erik Dalton, Ph.D. said:
Actually Vlad, all the Dalton's raised in this area (Oklahoma) are related to the Dalton Gang. Some of the Daltons were bandits and some were lawmen (divided by a very fine line...much like the politicians today).

My grandfather Charlie Dalton was a pretty well-know 'old west' sherif so my Mom named me Erik Deputy Dalton after him. Never really liked 'Deputy' as a middle name until I started getting speeding tickets as a teenager. Oddly, when I'd tell the officer the weird middle name story ..they would often let me go.

Grandparents on my Dad's side were from Oslo. They never visited Oklahoma for fear of Indian ambush...too many John Wayne movies I guess.

Vlad said:
Erik, you know, I was wondering where you got your groovy hair from. "Maybe he's descended from the Daltons, you know, The Wild Bunch - since his hair is sometimes wild", I wondered, "Or maybe he's descended from the Vikings because of the way he spells his name". Since you look nothing like any of these fellas, I'm going with the Nordic Viking theory.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service