massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=OhBtGlEETUWwi9h5olkCGQ_3d_3d

Please help me compile this information. I'd like more than a 1,000 if possible. Sure it is!
Your participation is MOST appreciated.
Remember you do not have to answer all the questions and Page 2 is "optional". Page two is for those employed only, NOT Self Employed!The survey company automatically includes Page 2 and I was unable to edit or delete. SO it IS OPTIONAL!
Pass it on to your colleagues too.

The intention is to publish this research to assist
Future LMT's, educators, employers and anyone else interested in the statistics of the massage industry!
I want to give you a voice to share your thoughts and experiences.

The Survey will end November 29, 2009

Updates will be posted on this discussion throughout the survey and final results will be provided once all information is compiled and reviewed.

FYI! I am also conducting private interviews with owners of franchises, spas, schools, massage therapists etc. Interested? Contact me.

I will also be including a few interviews from employers and LMT's. Want to participate? Contact me massageproce@gmail.com

Thanks, Gloria

Views: 961

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

P.M. Update
From Our Business Owners! (lots of things to consider if you are just starting out)

Biggest Challenge as a Business Owner @ 58% = Marketing
Other Comments:
1. not overextending myself and getting overwhelmed in general
2.The other professionals in my office understanding that I am self-employed, and not under their control
3. Making more than enough to "just survive"- - need to make above minimum to live comfortably
4. keeping my appointment book straight, bookkeeping & payroll taxes
5. Business is not sufficiently taught in massage school. I have had to learn everything by trial and error.
6. Keeping treatment rooms full with therapists and keeping the therapists busy enough to cover their rent.
7. Getting the word out is difficult sometimes due to so many people saying "I can't afford that" without considering the great benefits of massage first.
8.Honestly, it wasn't a challenge, it was a joy - word of mouth referrals only - the Universe truly provided.

Most successful Marketing Tool!!!
WORD OF MOUTH @ 85%

How long is the average session: 1 hr from 73% of the participants responding

Private Practitioners do you sell products? The response NO @ 62%

What are the 5 most popular CE trainings people are interested in??
1. Cranio-Sacral
2. Myofascial Release
3. Structural Integration
4. NeuroMuscular Therapy
5. Lomi lomi

68% of the participants took the NCB Exam.

22% Statewide exam
3.2% the New MBLex

Two top places participants look for massage resources!
1. Internet
2. Massage Publications

Some More Personal Comments so you all know what people are feeling and experiencing!

1. Massage can be a rewarding career but private practice is, especially in Denver which is flooded with massage therapists, very difficult. I think in school teachers and staff should remember to tell students this fact. I remember thinking I could step out into the massage world and be my own boss right away and it would be easy. It's not. But the staff at most schools (including mine) gave me the impression anyone could do it right after graduation. New therapists need to get the truth about the difficulties of our profession. There is a reason most therapists quit after five years and it's not just injury.

2.Working by myself, I very quickly became overly absorbed in my practice. It will be a year in a few days, and only now I'm starting to realize I have to pace myself. That is a constant challenge, but I'm reintroducing things into my life that went away when I started working for myself. Regardless, I think it was necessary to sacrifice some of what I did.

3. I see too many people in an environment legally that does not require a license to still feel it is ok to make medical claims and not feel that a license is necessary. It makes it very difficult to get the main stream medical community to take massage therapists seriously when so many are just "doing their own thing" but not holding themselves to a higher standard of professionalism.

4. Places like massage envy and similar only exploit therapists in order to get more clients and make profits to owners. This just underestimate the professionals. These places should be boycott. Also, I think that the national board should fight for our rights against insurance companies that discriminate us and don't like to pay massage therapists.

5.Manual therapy modalities such as Rolfing Structural Integration should not fall under the heading of "Massage" and need to be categorized on their own in order for Insurance carriers to recognize them as a clinical intervention that requires a much higher level of education than is required for a massage license. This needs to be persued in each state for somatic practitioners that do this type of work, whether it's Alexander Technique, Rolfing, Feldenkrais, Aston Patterning, etc....

Also, more needs to be done in the area of University research contributing to the growing body of scientific research done in the area of massage, such as the TRI at Univ of Miami. Research proceedings from the Fascia Research Congress need to make their way into mainstream media in a way that helps the public digest and understand the information!!!!!

THANKS EVERYONE!
Thank you Gloria for taking the time to keep us posted on this survey.

Gloria Coppola said:
P.M. Update
From Our Business Owners! (lots of things to consider if you are just starting out)

Biggest Challenge as a Business Owner @ 58% = Marketing
Other Comments:
1. not overextending myself and getting overwhelmed in general
2.The other professionals in my office understanding that I am self-employed, and not under their control
3. Making more than enough to "just survive"- - need to make above minimum to live comfortably
4. keeping my appointment book straight, bookkeeping & payroll taxes
5. Business is not sufficiently taught in massage school. I have had to learn everything by trial and error.
6. Keeping treatment rooms full with therapists and keeping the therapists busy enough to cover their rent.
7. Getting the word out is difficult sometimes due to so many people saying "I can't afford that" without considering the great benefits of massage first.
8.Honestly, it wasn't a challenge, it was a joy - word of mouth referrals only - the Universe truly provided.

Most successful Marketing Tool!!!
WORD OF MOUTH @ 85%

How long is the average session: 1 hr from 73% of the participants responding

Private Practitioners do you sell products? The response NO @ 62%

What are the 5 most popular CE trainings people are interested in??
1. Cranio-Sacral
2. Myofascial Release
3. Structural Integration
4. NeuroMuscular Therapy
5. Lomi lomi

68% of the participants took the NCB Exam.

22% Statewide exam
3.2% the New MBLex

Two top places participants look for massage resources!
1. Internet
2. Massage Publications

Some More Personal Comments so you all know what people are feeling and experiencing!

1. Massage can be a rewarding career but private practice is, especially in Denver which is flooded with massage therapists, very difficult. I think in school teachers and staff should remember to tell students this fact. I remember thinking I could step out into the massage world and be my own boss right away and it would be easy. It's not. But the staff at most schools (including mine) gave me the impression anyone could do it right after graduation. New therapists need to get the truth about the difficulties of our profession. There is a reason most therapists quit after five years and it's not just injury.

2.Working by myself, I very quickly became overly absorbed in my practice. It will be a year in a few days, and only now I'm starting to realize I have to pace myself. That is a constant challenge, but I'm reintroducing things into my life that went away when I started working for myself. Regardless, I think it was necessary to sacrifice some of what I did.

3. I see too many people in an environment legally that does not require a license to still feel it is ok to make medical claims and not feel that a license is necessary. It makes it very difficult to get the main stream medical community to take massage therapists seriously when so many are just "doing their own thing" but not holding themselves to a higher standard of professionalism.

4. Places like massage envy and similar only exploit therapists in order to get more clients and make profits to owners. This just underestimate the professionals. These places should be boycott. Also, I think that the national board should fight for our rights against insurance companies that discriminate us and don't like to pay massage therapists.

5.Manual therapy modalities such as Rolfing Structural Integration should not fall under the heading of "Massage" and need to be categorized on their own in order for Insurance carriers to recognize them as a clinical intervention that requires a much higher level of education than is required for a massage license. This needs to be persued in each state for somatic practitioners that do this type of work, whether it's Alexander Technique, Rolfing, Feldenkrais, Aston Patterning, etc....

Also, more needs to be done in the area of University research contributing to the growing body of scientific research done in the area of massage, such as the TRI at Univ of Miami. Research proceedings from the Fascia Research Congress need to make their way into mainstream media in a way that helps the public digest and understand the information!!!!!

THANKS EVERYONE!
I will go get some more folks! We really need this survey! Thanks, Gloria!

Gloria Coppola said:
In one week we have had 362 individuals in the industry give their opinions on the massage career survey! Thank you all!

If everyone would tell 2 more people we will be at our target!

Monday a.m. updates:

The females still have the majority at at 79%.

Here are some comments coming in:

1. I think it goes without saying that the feeling of being able to help people get rid of their pain is very rewarding. What I really love is that I am in charge of my life, I am in charge of my schedule, I do not have to deal with corp. politics or drama, and I encouraged (by the profession) to have strong boundaries which are never considered selfish.

2. For people to see this work as healthcare and not just a treat for themselves. To have employers understand that massage does not have to be just relaxation. Too many chiro's, et al, view massage as a means to get their clients relaxed for *their* work...to see that my work (NMT, trigger pt therapy, MFR, etc) should be used to compliment and supplement their work.

3. From Spa Question: I would say steady work, but that was not the case always. I've *NEVER* had management support, and even less corporate support. They offered discount services, but I don't care about skin treatments or mani/pedi. I can meet people from various places working privately or ina clicnical setting.

4. Have you every worked for a franchise?No, but I'm looking into massage envy as a side job.

I interviewed for one and got the job; I chose not to take it due to the low wages ($10/MA.)

The locations I worked for all had nice settings. But, that is the only constant among them.

5.What else do you want to tell us?

The future of massage (in my opinion) is going to rely primarily on education of the masses, teaching them to treat massage as healthcare, and therapists as healthcare professionals.

It would be awesome to see all spas and massage centers regulated to treat therapist better, both with time, and money.

The massage industry is turning out student s by the hundreds. The school where I attended now has public funding, when I went it was private pay and not everyone could get in. I took money out of my retirement to fund my education. Now, students that attend have a mindset of just gong to school, graduating and making a huge amount of money. The quality of people getting into school scares me. Some are definately not there for the right reasons. I know this because one of my good friends is an instructor. She often deals with kids who went out to smoke pot on their lunch break or come to class and just want to cause problems or sleep. It is a very personal career, we should carefully screen these people and tolerate nothing.

I get clients who tell me horror stories of going to get a massage, being uncomfortable, mostly because the massage is to heavy handed, and they tell the MT, but they don't stop. Then they come to me some years later and think I'm gonna beat them up. I ALWAYS make it clear to my client that if they are not comfortable for ANY reason at all, to cold, to hot, not enough pressure, to much pressure or anything else that is making their experience less than perfect, to please let me know ASAP so I can accomidate them. I think if we give our clients that "permission" they will be more likely to speak up, and if it is their first massage they will know that they are supposed to be comfortable throughout the entire massage. I have some that say, "Well, I didn't know I could say anything, I thought that is what it was supposed to be like" and that is completley valid, they have no clue because they don't have anything to compare it to. That is why it is the MT's job to pay attention to body language along with if they speak up. I get body language more from newbies than from people who have had massage.
Gloria Coppola said:
Some more interesting facts coming in so far! Keep passing the word! Thanks!

SWEDISH IS NOT DEAD! 47% use it as their primary technique
Integrative Massage is at 56% and Deep Tissue at 49%

An overwhelming response believes potential massage instructors should get some form of training.

And a couple of recent comment To share:

Our profession is dawning, coming to light as a healing modality out of the darkness of ignorance which heretofore has denigrated therapists as semi-professionals or worse. Licensing, nationalized testing, MT associations, mandatory insurance, continuing education, publications, marketing, networking with the medical community, these are the ways to break the barrier here in the West, the "physics -envy" scientific paradigm which most in this country follow. I am pleased to see we are progressing as a profession, yet with or without the approval of the reigning medical community, those who need our help find us. My only hope is that in attempting to establish ourselves as a legitimate profession we will not lose our essence: our compassion, our knowledge, our will to help others. Writing as a former nurse, it was my experience that nursing as a whole is more about meeting standards than truly caring for others. There are always exceptions, yet the gap between the sincerity of purpose and the actuality of the modern medical system is so wide that a plethora of complementary healing systems have bloomed in that space. At times this leaves clients feeling lost, wondering which modalities work and which are snake oil sold as healing balms. As client advocates, our continuing education and additional resources or networking could help lessen their confusion. As with life, we need a balance between the number of letters we get to put behind our last names to "prove" ourselves and our intent, our work, our purpose.

2. This is NOT an easy profession to make a solid living in, it takes WORK and time to build it up. Professionalism and confidentiality is so important and so often lacking. School should be longer and have high standards to graduate a skilled therapists, who are serious about this work.
Spa Therapists and Spa work does not get the respect it deserves. Spa Therapists have to know so much more than a custom integrated massage. And therapists think they should make as much as doctors. 6 to 8 months of schooling and a place with good tips get the same starting pay as a nurse who went to school 2 years.
I have some issues with the recent trend to classify types of massage modalities, as if we were providing a menu. In fact, I think that the trend started with the spas which do actually post a "Spa Menu" that clients can choose from. A great deal of what therapists do is actually SWEDISH massage. Some of it is Deep Tissue Swedish Massage, or Swedish Massage for pregnant women - but it's still swedish massage.
Part of this trend seems to be a feeling that if you have more items on your menu, you are a better therapist. The fact that a therapist has taken a bunch of workshops and seminars does not make that person more competent.
I think we should use whatever techniques and modalities we know to help our clients rather than charging separate prices for each of the modalities.

o
lee kalpin said:
Gloria Coppola said:

An overwhelming response believes potential massage instructors should get some form of training.

Our profession is dawning, coming to light as a healing modality out of the darkness of ignorance which heretofore has denigrated therapists as semi-professionals or worse. Licensing, nationalized testing, MT associations, mandatory insurance, continuing education, publications, marketing, networking with the medical community, these are the ways to break the barrier here in the West, the "physics -envy" scientific paradigm which most in this country follow. I am pleased to see we are progressing as a profession, yet with or without the approval of the reigning medical community, those who need our help find us. My only hope is that in attempting to establish ourselves as a legitimate profession we will not lose our essence: our compassion, our knowledge, our will to help others. Writing as a former nurse, it was my experience that nursing as a whole is more about meeting standards than truly caring for others. There are always exceptions, yet the gap between the sincerity of purpose and the actuality of the modern medical system is so wide that a plethora of complementary healing systems have bloomed in that space. At times this leaves clients feeling lost, wondering which modalities work and which are snake oil sold as healing balms. As client advocates, our continuing education and additional resources or networking could help lessen their confusion. As with life, we need a balance between the number of letters we get to put behind our last names to "prove" ourselves and our intent, our work, our purpose.

2. This is NOT an easy profession to make a solid living in, it takes WORK and time to build it up. Professionalism and confidentiality is so important and so often lacking. School should be longer and have high standards to graduate a skilled therapists, who are serious about this work.
Spa Therapists and Spa work does not get the respect it deserves. Spa Therapists have to know so much more than a custom integrated massage. And therapists think they should make as much as doctors. 6 to 8 months of schooling and a place with good tips get the same starting pay as a nurse who went to school 2 years.
Tuesday Nov. 10th Updates & Comments!

First - A continued thank you to all those taking the time to participate!

Question: Employed as a massage therapist? How much do you make excluding tips? Average $ 18/hr.

Question: Private Practice best marketing? Word of Mouth @ 86%

Question: How many hours do you think massage schools should be? Tied 500-700 and 700-1000 = 35%

Question: What type of massage school did you attend? Privately Owned @ 76%, Vo/Tech = 20%

Question: What do you like most about being a massage therapist?
1. I feel like it is my life... I have devoted everything to this profession and I love what it has given me in return... satisfaction of a job well done, helping people... its definitely not been for the monetary benefit.

2.Spreading Alternative health awareness

Question: If you could change one thing about your place of employment, what would it be? Comments =
1. I would make the owners treat the therapist like people and not money making machines

2. Better understanding of the wellness field from the owners/Franchise.

Question: As an employer what are your challenges that your staff may not be aware of? :
1. Cost of overhead @ 45%
2.Not profesional enough.
3.Business attire, behavior, accumen
4. having them actively build clientele

Question:
How would you improve your career?
1. Have more motivation to develop my own practice.
2. i need more motivation/courage/finances
3.Find a way insurance would help cover the cost of primary caregivers' massage
4.Attend more seminars and trainings.

Question: Modalities used the most in your practice?
Deep Tissue and Swedish still in the lead!

Question:
Do you think people 'just' starting out should charge the same price as more experienced therapists?
44 % said NO

Other Optional Comments:

1. I have learned that not everyone works as hard nor has the personal motivation to do their best as I do... And I need to learn how to deal with these people...

2. My biggest pet peeve is employers who have "independent contractors" but whom the IRS would probably categorize as employees. Employers who do not realize how much room it takes to do a massage is a problem, too--especially when an MT feels pressured into doing the work for a paycheck, yet risks injury due to poor body mechanics.

3. While I struggle with the concept of working at a franchise like Elements I am grateful I earn enough to pay the bills. Unfortunately I "need" tips when I work there. As much as I "hate" what I consider low pay I also realize this is what the market will bear. I am not for unions, unless it's completely voluntary. If I worked for a place that had a union I would not want to join.
As far as massage modalities go....I do think there is too much woo woo in our field. Too many MT's make claims they should not make.

Thanks Everyone for sharing your opinions and comments!
9 days later and 406 surveys! Thanks everyone! We are almost half way there.
Tell 1 more colleague and we'll reach the goal together before Nov. 29th!!

More updates tomorrow!
Where I work we charge by the session not the modality. 60 minutes, 90 minutes, 120 minutes

lee kalpin said:
I have some issues with the recent trend to classify types of massage modalities, as if we were providing a menu. In fact, I think that the trend started with the spas which do actually post a "Spa Menu" that clients can choose from. A great deal of what therapists do is actually SWEDISH massage. Some of it is Deep Tissue Swedish Massage, or Swedish Massage for pregnant women - but it's still swedish massage.
Part of this trend seems to be a feeling that if you have more items on your menu, you are a better therapist. The fact that a therapist has taken a bunch of workshops and seminars does not make that person more competent.
I think we should use whatever techniques and modalities we know to help our clients rather than charging separate prices for each of the modalities.

o
lee kalpin said:
Gloria Coppola said:

Very interesting comments, Gloria, thanks for the hard work! :)
Mike Hinkle said:
The only folks calling our existing massage therapy exams jokes are the folks afraid to take them.

Just wanted to add my perspective..I do not think the NCB or Mblx or other exams are a joke, per say, but I do not think they necessarily mean anyone who passes is a good, qualified therapist. Conversely, I don't think that someone who chooses not to take it or doesn't pass is a bad therapist. I have taken the NCB exam, and passed it. But it didn't make me any better of a therapist than I was before I took it. In fact, the only reason I took it to begin with was because I was moving and needed Nat'l Cert for the state certificate where I am now. Being able to recall answers on a multiple choice test does not mean you are skilled in your touch, nor does it necessarily mean you are profficient in needed knowledge. It means you have a knack for memorizing or recognizing correct answers when put in front of you. I don't necessarily think it should be done away with, but just saying, Nat'l or Mblex certification isn't the end-all be-all....Just my 2 cents :)
Tonight's Update! I guess the weather has us moving slower today

Total participants = 421

Most of the %'s have remained the same as the previous day.

Here are a few more comments:

Question: Do you feel there should be advanced certification?

1. I thought there was
2. Isn't there already?
3. Now that I am skeptical...I think many of these modalities are bunk...
4. Most modalities offer their own certification, don't they? That should be sufficient to hand on the wall!
5.I specialize in offering NMT...if I tell someone that I'm a Licensed Massage Therapist...they commonly think all I do is swedish.

Question: What else would you like to comment? (Perhaps some of our colleagues out here would like to answer some of these questions or share your ideas)

1. Pet peeves - sometimes not being taken seriously about my profession or the benefits that serious massage therapy provides. Would like to see more relevant and interesting CE classes offered at some fun, relaxing locations...work and play :)

2.I have learned that not everyone works as hard nor has the personal motivation to do their best as I do... And I need to learn how to deal with these people...

3. Thanks!!! it even gave me some ideas and issues to address with my new contract laborers.

4. I'd be curious about products massage therapists use. I'd be curious about work related injuries and if anyone uses the hydraulic lift tables. Thanks

5. Have you ever had a client sexualize a session? If so, what did you do about it? Was the client male/female? Age range? What sort of setting were you in? (Private practice, spa, chiro office, etc.) How often--once, more than once, etc.

6. There should be questions in relating to current massage therapy students....such as myself! :)
Thank you Gloria..

7. Do you accept insurance? What percentage are you paid? What is the percentage of clients doing this?

Thanks again everyone! Please tell 2 more people!
Don't see much support for Advanced Certification there. Thanks!

Gloria Coppola said:
Tonight's Update! I guess the weather has us moving slower today

Total participants = 421

Most of the %'s have remained the same as the previous day.

Here are a few more comments:

Question: Do you feel there should be advanced certification?

1. I thought there was
2. Isn't there already?
3. Now that I am skeptical...I think many of these modalities are bunk...
4. Most modalities offer their own certification, don't they? That should be sufficient to hand on the wall!
5.I specialize in offering NMT...if I tell someone that I'm a Licensed Massage Therapist...they commonly think all I do is swedish.

Question: What else would you like to comment? (Perhaps some of our colleagues out here would like to answer some of these questions or share your ideas)

1. Pet peeves - sometimes not being taken seriously about my profession or the benefits that serious massage therapy provides. Would like to see more relevant and interesting CE classes offered at some fun, relaxing locations...work and play :)

2.I have learned that not everyone works as hard nor has the personal motivation to do their best as I do... And I need to learn how to deal with these people...

3. Thanks!!! it even gave me some ideas and issues to address with my new contract laborers.

4. I'd be curious about products massage therapists use. I'd be curious about work related injuries and if anyone uses the hydraulic lift tables. Thanks

5. Have you ever had a client sexualize a session? If so, what did you do about it? Was the client male/female? Age range? What sort of setting were you in? (Private practice, spa, chiro office, etc.) How often--once, more than once, etc.

6. There should be questions in relating to current massage therapy students....such as myself! :)
Thank you Gloria..

7. Do you accept insurance? What percentage are you paid? What is the percentage of clients doing this?

Thanks again everyone! Please tell 2 more people!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service