massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

Folks -

There previously was a discussion on this site in which a skeptical attitude toward energy work was being discussed, but that discussion eventually got deleted. The reason seems to be that it was judged not to belong in the location where it was taking place, which was inside one of the energy work groups.

I was the person who introduced the skepticism to the discussion. Some people did not appreciate that, but others did. Given how many participants there are on this site, and how many threads and groups are dedicated to discussing energy work with no skepticism, I thought maybe it was time to open a discussion where such skepticism is invited and welcomed.

I look forward to seeing how this discussion might develop. Is there interest?

-CM

Views: 3090

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bert Davich said:
Chris,
Agreed again, I would like to speak with you personally sometime if possible and learn from what you are studying in your lab environment if you have the time (and are willing) after this global weirding freeze abates. St Louis High temps are finally up to low 30 degree range.

Yeah, I hope we get the chance sometime. I'm sure we probably will. You should come to the conference in May, if you can. Any chance? (I know I probably asked you already...)
Robin: You know I'm interested in investigating whole systems of research and in how someone like yourself might critique my study; care to share?

Yes, I'm generally willing to give folks such as yourself feedback on proposals or ideas if I can. If you have a more specific question, please feel free.
And for the record, I am skeptic about everything, especially the views of Skeptics and the logic they use to determine their conclusions.

In my mind I see the title and hear the theme music for a new TV show...

BERT DEVICH: METASKEPTIC

I think Vlad's wackiness has infected my thought processes.
Vlad -

I think you should publicize your new web creation with a new thread. (I don't mind that you mentioned here, of course - I just think it deserves its own dedicated announcement.)
Stefanie -

I think your perspective on this is very interesting. Thank you for adding it, and for taking the time to include detail and to communicate your ideas really clearly.

It raises some questions.

1. It's the innate ability we all possess to heal ourselves. It has nothing to do with an external, supernatural energy. Instead, the session creates conditions that are more ideal for the clients' bodies to heal themselves. Clients expect to be healed, are doing something active to promote it, and receive "permission" from us as therapists... Nothing supernatural or energetic about it.

I think this makes sense. But then why should any of these practices be called "energy work"? What you've described is really something else entirely, isn't it?

2. Yes, it absolutely does matter. If clients are actually tapping into their own innate healing abilities, they should be informed of what is really happening. They should have the option of practicing it on their own instead of forking out big bucks to practitioners. They should be educated and empowered to continue their own journey into self-healing, relying on their innate abilities to heal themselves, not some nebulous energy that exists outside of themselves.

Excellent point.

3. You learned it works by simple observation.

The scientist in me can't resist pointing out that simple observations can be misleading.

Of course it works, but no supernatural or energetic forces are at work. I learned this for myself and now practice progressive relaxation and natural (ideomotor) movements instead of relying on other practitioners to "channel energy" into me. I am in control of my own healing, and it's freeing!

What you are describing seems to me to be like progressive relaxation (as you have stated) and/or psychotherapy performed with minimal talk (if that makes any sense - it does to me). Would you agree? And, again, what about the problem of calling it something that it isn't?
Yes, I believe what some people call "energy work" is in fact simply creating ideal conditions for clients' bodies to express themselves in natural, healing ways. Beginning in grade school we're forced to sit still, stand straight, which forces us to maintain isometric contractions for long periods of time. It's unnatural, unhealthy, and causes structural deformity which can lead to pain. I think it should be called what it is - somatic awareness or something like that.

It's important to call it what it is, and inform clients, so they can take control of their own healing. We insist on informed consent most of our healing practices. Why should this be any different? It's VERY important to call it what it is for both healing and ethical reasons. I have an ethical problem charging for something that doesn't exist, and claiming to have special abilities or knowledge that I really don't possess.

Barrett himself does admit his method looks like counseling in his article "Body Counseling": Isn't that what counselors do? They create conditions that are more conducive for clients to find their own answers.

Christopher A. Moyer said:
1. It's the innate ability we all possess to heal ourselves. It has nothing to do with an external, supernatural energy. Instead, the session creates conditions that are more ideal for the clients' bodies to heal themselves. Clients expect to be healed, are doing something active to promote it, and receive "permission" from us as therapists... Nothing supernatural or energetic about it. I think this makes sense. But then why should any of these practices be called "energy work"? What you've described is really something else entirely, isn't it? 2. Yes, it absolutely does matter. If clients are actually tapping into their own innate healing abilities, they should be informed of what is really happening. They should have the option of practicing it on their own instead of forking out big bucks to practitioners. They should be educated and empowered to continue their own journey into self-healing, relying on their innate abilities to heal themselves, not some nebulous energy that exists outside of themselves.
Excellent point.

3. You learned it works by simple observation.

The scientist in me can't resist pointing out that simple observations can be misleading.

Of course it works, but no supernatural or energetic forces are at work. I learned this for myself and now practice progressive relaxation and natural (ideomotor) movements instead of relying on other practitioners to "channel energy" into me. I am in control of my own healing, and it's freeing!

What you are describing seems to me to be like progressive relaxation (as you have stated) and/or psychotherapy performed with minimal talk (if that makes any sense - it does to me). Would you agree? And, again, what about the problem of calling it something that it isn't?
Stefanie,

You might like this article that addresses myofascial unwinding and ideomotor action.
Thanks for posting the Barrett links.
That's a good article, Vlad. Thanks! It cites Barrett's article, "The Analgesia of Movement", which suggests that myofascial unwinding can be explained as an ideomotor movement.

Do any energy workers have a response or objection to the proposition that the healing you observe is really a part of our own bodies' innate abilities to heal themselves through natural movement, rather than energy?

Like I stated earlier, I don't see the point in debating energy work, but I would like to read other opinions on this subject.

Vlad said:
Stefanie,

You might like this article that addresses myofascial unwinding and ideomotor action.
Thanks for posting the Barrett links.
Bert,

Since you're skeptical of skeptics, I thought you might like this

-V
Hello Stefanie,
Interesting articles. Reminds me of clients who unconsciously 'hold' their shoulders up. Often by placing a hand on their shoulder and giving a cue with light downward pressure, they will 'let go' and the shoulder will relax and lower without any other treatment necessary. This seems to be particularly applicable for older clients. I have found that stroke victims are unable to release well (isometric contractions?) and the same principle will often result in their releasing the contracted muscle.

I'm not sure how that relates to energy, but I do know that I sense an energetic shift in their body which can be observed in the release or tension and even the expression on their face (no doubt due to relaxation of face muscles).

Regarding what to call it, I have never called it anything. It's another massage treatment. I just do it with an intent/sense that the client will have an energetic shift allowing for a release when they receive the cue' they need. If you to convey a sense of calm to the client, it works much better.

Stefanie Adams said:
That's a good article, Vlad. Thanks! It cites Barrett's article, "The Analgesia of Movement", which suggests that myofascial unwinding can be explained as an ideomotor movement.
Do any energy workers have a response or objection to the proposition that the healing you observe is really a part of our own bodies' innate abilities to heal themselves through natural movement, rather than energy?
Like I stated earlier, I don't see the point in debating energy work, but I would like to read other opinions on this subject.

Vlad said:
Stefanie,

You might like this article that addresses myofascial unwinding and ideomotor action. Thanks for posting the Barrett links.
lol! again Vlad. That was a great article. What a hoot! What a comical way to make a point! (intentional or not) The funny part was it was difficult to see where it was going. As the article stated at one point "....when it’s applied to scientific skepticism, what they’re actually asking is “are you doubtful of your methodology?” - in other words, do you or can you question your methods of inquiry?, which was my point about the logic used to determine conclusions.

I'm still chuckling.....!

Vlad said:
Bert,

Since you're skeptical of skeptics, I thought you might like this

-V
Bert,
What if you're skeptic of the skeptics who are skeptical of skepticism?

Oh dear....I think my head just exploded over the keyboard.....dang.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service