massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

I know, I'm nosey. I was a travel writer.

For six years, I got to travel to Bed & Breakfasts and get massages, all for free, and write about it. So my roots are in traveling, meeting people and hearing their stories. Now I travel around and do The World Massage Festival & Massage Therapy Hall of Fame.

I found the adjustment to a single location massage establishment, inside a strip mall, very confining. So I started a way to stay "in the massage world and travel!" But that is another story!

What's your story? What did you do before massage? Tell us of your travels and what massage is like where you are, especially if you massage outside the U.S. We really like pictures, if possible.

If you get bored come see me at my page http://www.massageprofessionals.com/profile/MikeHinkle

Thanks and welcome to Massage Professionals!

Views: 4801

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, you have been challenged, that is for sure. If there is anyway we can help, just holler!!! Keep the Faith!

Susan Clingman said:
I was a legal secretary/paralegal for 10 years. Had numerous eye surgeries (15 in all between 2000 and 2009), which led to losing my job. Decided to go to massage school because that was something I could do with limited sight (and I like helping people). Graduated from UCMT-Aurora, CO in March 2007. Been a solo since then. Just closed my office at a wellness center, and am searching for a new location.
And we are all better for it!!! Thank you for what you do!

Gloria Coppola said:
Prior to my life as a massage therapist I was the business administrator for a neurologist. It is he who I have to thank for this career path. One day he came into my office and said "find out everything you can about holistic medicine". The journey began. My skills in business have helped me to be successful for the last 25 years. I attribute that foundation to all that has kept me going.

During this career span I have owned a massage school in New Jersey, training thousands of successful students.

Whenever I needed continuing education classes, I would love to travel to places I had not visited- this took me as far as South America for my Somato Emotional Release Class.

When I moved to Kauai, I got to do massage on the beach. Altho it sounds fabulous to receive it on the beach, it has its challenges for the therapist ;). Altho, the waves were beautiful to watch and it definitely slows you down.

As a continuing education provider at this stage in life, I continue to travel. I get to meet people all over the US and next year France!!! (yippeee)

Massage has been an amazing career path. Filled with good friends, amazing students, fabulous clients and loads of JOY! I can't see myself anywhere else.
One of the tricky question in massaeg is: when to leap into full time!

Kathy Bradley said:
I am currently working full time for the U.S. Postal Service, and massage is my part time gig right now ( hopefully it will change to full time soon). Before that I was a Physical Ed. teacher.
It always is! Keep the faith!!!

Dror said:
One of the tricky question in massaeg is: when to leap into full time!

Kathy Bradley said:
I am currently working full time for the U.S. Postal Service, and massage is my part time gig right now ( hopefully it will change to full time soon). Before that I was a Physical Ed. teacher.
I came to US in 1989, 22 years old. I am one of the refugee that call "Boat people". I came from Viet Nam. I had done several job before I become MT. My 1st job i was a seamtress in a small factory, then I became a house maid i work for Molly Maid, then an assembly worker for a software company. In 2001 my brother get me a job in his company. I work a general office helper I do a lot thing from copy/fax paper work, mailing, filing ect... Then i went to school for Medical assistant, I manage to complete the course but can get a job do to lack of communication skill. got lay off and be come a Certified Nursing assistant working for 4 year in nursing home facility and wish to go back to school and become a Nurse, but it not when well by the time i turn 38 my heredity deseases start to show up do to lot of stress at work my BP was 182/102. I quit my job and go to school and become a MT.
This is a link to MM Insurance. Sounds like you need to start by going to school.

Zareena Balosa said:
Well actually i am new at this forum and do not much about massage and its tricks i am also need to know about and massage all information if some one have then please also share it.

Massage Liability Insurance
Hi Truc,
Sounds like your barriers with our language have hurt you in your efforts. Maybe if you joined Toastmasters or started telling stories, using a fake voice and work with your articulation. Maybe even come down south and learn this dialect.

Truc Dinh said:
I came to US in 1989, 22 years old. I am one of the refugee that call "Boat people". I came from Viet Nam. I had done several job before I become MT. My 1st job i was a seamtress in a small factory, then I became a house maid i work for Molly Maid, then an assembly worker for a software company. In 2001 my brother get me a job in his company. I work a general office helper I do a lot thing from copy/fax paper work, mailing, filing ect... Then i went to school for Medical assistant, I manage to complete the course but can get a job do to lack of communication skill. got lay off and be come a Certified Nursing assistant working for 4 year in nursing home facility and wish to go back to school and become a Nurse, but it not when well by the time i turn 38 my heredity deseases start to show up do to lot of stress at work my BP was 182/102. I quit my job and go to school and become a MT.

I know the language barrier is the biggest optacle that I have to overcome. Truely with the English level I am at right now, it all come from watching new TV and movie. When I am went to school to become a MT I have to work harder than other to be able to understand the concepts. I was crying in front of my classmate when I have to do 5 minute power presentation. After I finish with the 720 hr program, I am not happy with the amount of knowledge I have about manual body work, I know that there are much more than just rubbing, squishing the muscle and I am not confidence in myself when I lay my hand on the client. I want to further educated myself more, so I take the neuromuscular therapy/ trigger point work course and Thank to all my wonderful teacher ( Cynthia Ribeiro, Al Carbonetti, Esko Homsei and Laura) And the way that Cynthia teach the class she draw our attention and make us invole in evrything she have me over come the fear to speak in front of other by assinge us take turn to do presentation about the subject we learn before she give her lecture. I have learn so much about human body in the cadevar lab. It amaze me and I am telling my self that I need to work harder and learn harder to be come a better MT. Thank for the adviced Mike. I joint The massage profession to get connect with the people in the field and to learn from all of you. Thank you all for guidence. Mike Hinkle said:
Hi Truc,
Sounds like your barriers with our language have hurt you in your efforts. Maybe if you joined Toastmasters or started telling stories, using a fake voice and work with your articulation. Maybe even come down south and learn this dialect.

Truc Dinh said:
I was an Expanded Duties Dental Assistant for 21 years...A car accident changed the ability to sit or stand in one position for more than 20 mins without severe back spasms ...so I was lead to Massage and found a surpising Gift. :)
So many of us found our way to Massage through a personal injury or a loved one. We are proud to have you with us Julie. And if you need any help, just holler!

Julie E Spencer said:
I was an Expanded Duties Dental Assistant for 21 years...A car accident changed the ability to sit or stand in one position for more than 20 mins without severe back spasms ...so I was lead to Massage and found a surpising Gift. :)

I was a corporate trainer for hair did a lot of traveling and hairshows fell into massage after a battle with brain cancer working on getting into the hospital segment.  I want to work with other cancer patients. 

Oncology is a great field to persue. Glad to have you with us!

christopher keller said:

I was a corporate trainer for hair did a lot of traveling and hairshows fell into massage after a battle with brain cancer working on getting into the hospital segment.  I want to work with other cancer patients. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service