massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

I know, I'm nosey. I was a travel writer.

For six years, I got to travel to Bed & Breakfasts and get massages, all for free, and write about it. So my roots are in traveling, meeting people and hearing their stories. Now I travel around and do The World Massage Festival & Massage Therapy Hall of Fame.

I found the adjustment to a single location massage establishment, inside a strip mall, very confining. So I started a way to stay "in the massage world and travel!" But that is another story!

What's your story? What did you do before massage? Tell us of your travels and what massage is like where you are, especially if you massage outside the U.S. We really like pictures, if possible.

If you get bored come see me at my page http://www.massageprofessionals.com/profile/MikeHinkle

Thanks and welcome to Massage Professionals!

Views: 4805

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's the way my Dad did it in the Air Force. When he got off work, he was the barber at the NCO Club and on weekends! You've got a great work ethic. He's still behind the chair!

Jason Day said:
I am currently a fulltime electrical engineer working for the Navy at North Island, love the job very interesting. In the evening and weekends I do bodywork which I lover dearly.

Jason
I was Nothing!
Massage and Healing came to me really early in my life and I feel lucky that I was able to build my life around IT! :)
There is no way YOU were nothing. You had to do something. You are too talented to have done nothing. Were you a volunteer? Did you do free massage? We all got here somehow... And YOU are A LOT!!!

Eeris Kallil CMT said:
I was Nothing!
Massage and Healing came to me really early in my life and I feel lucky that I was able to build my life around IT! :)
Here's one I bet you haven't heard! I was an independent pro wrestler for about 6 years. Still have my hand in - my hubby runs a web site dedicated to independent lady's wrestling (no WWE stuff). We still help sponsor ladies on the card with WCEW down in Wadesboro, NC. Also do some work up in Cincinnati occasionally. I mostly man a camera ringside these days, and keep the gals straight in the locker room!
But golly, was it fun! And yes, most of the moves are choreographed (if all goes to plan) - but make no mistake -- the bruises are real! I've got torn cartilage in my knee, and scarring from a dislocated shoulder to prove it! Makes body mechanics REALLY important!
check out www.thundergirls.com
oh - I was a bad guy.. such fun! where else can you get paid to slap the ref and talk about somebody's mama?? = )
College, Massage School, Massage practice; then taught High School History for 6 years, then back to business!
Wow, you are right! We've had a lot folks from different backgrounds but this is an extreme changeover for real! Welcome aboard!

Rebecca B Adams said:
Here's one I bet you haven't heard! I was an independent pro wrestler for about 6 years. Still have my hand in - my hubby runs a web site dedicated to independent lady's wrestling (no WWE stuff). We still help sponsor ladies on the card with WCEW down in Wadesboro, NC. Also do some work up in Cincinnati occasionally. I mostly man a camera ringside these days, and keep the gals straight in the locker room!
But golly, was it fun! And yes, most of the moves are choreographed (if all goes to plan) - but make no mistake -- the bruises are real! I've got torn cartilage in my knee, and scarring from a dislocated shoulder to prove it! Makes body mechanics REALLY important!
check out www.thundergirls.com
oh - I was a bad guy.. such fun! where else can you get paid to slap the ref and talk about somebody's mama?? = )
I was a dental assistant / receptionist for 8 years, bartender, MK salesperson,....mostly all throughout all those 8 years! I don't sell MK anymore, i do not bartend (although i am thinking of doing so for the extra cash!), and i do not dental assist anymore. I have owned my own massage practice since 2005 and work out of other places doing massage as well. I do chair massage at events and other places locally.

You are not nosey! I think it's interesting what people did in their "past" life before massage!

Kellie Alfeld, LMT
Hi Kellie,

So glad to have you with us! I love to hear people's stories. Thank you for sharing!

Kellie Alfeld said:
I was a dental assistant / receptionist for 8 years, bartender, MK salesperson,....mostly all throughout all those 8 years! I don't sell MK anymore, i do not bartend (although i am thinking of doing so for the extra cash!), and i do not dental assist anymore. I have owned my own massage practice since 2005 and work out of other places doing massage as well. I do chair massage at events and other places locally.

You are not nosey! I think it's interesting what people did in their "past" life before massage!

Kellie Alfeld, LMT
I was a housewife for 17 years, raising 2 daughters ....prior to that I was a Dept. Manager in a German Manufacturing Company for 5-1/2 yrs located in the US, and before that I worked as a receptionist in a Law and Accounting firm for 6 months (while looking for a better job).....because of the exchange program I was in (18 months = work/study = 1 semester at Gannon University in Erie, PA) which was preceded by 24 years in Germany....Gymnasium (back then = High School + 2 yrs of college), Foreign Correspondent for English and French and a Business Education in 'Industrial Business Management. Somewhere in there I did 3 semesters of Law and didn't like it, so I quit.
Looking at this list, I guess I am a learner.....I am currently working part-time doing chair massages for a Company at the aiport and part-time outcalls for private clients, while participating in the local Medical Qi-Gong Therapist Course......there is so much to learn and apply........
And yes, this is a good question. I have always been amazed at how versatile Massage Therapists are...they come from all walks of life......the other thing I noticed is, that a lot of them had to go through some 'trauma' to get there.......
That's very sweet of you... But at 21 I thought I knew a lot but really didn't... My story is that i was just released from the compulsory Israeli army (Not too proud of that, but I did not have a choice) lived in Jerusalem and did odd jobs until I met my first massage teacher Shari Sunshine ( www.syntropy.net/restoringBalance.htm ) Her work is the inspiration behind Core Alignment Technique so obviously she was (and still is) a significant inspiration in my life. After a couple of years of fooling around with massage in Israel i moved to Boulder CO and graduated from the Boulder School of Massage Therapy.
The decision (actually I don't think I ever had to make a "decision" it all just fell in my lap really) to become a bodyworker was one that I never regretted even for a moment!

Mike Hinkle said:
There is no way YOU were nothing. You had to do something. You are too talented to have done nothing. Were you a volunteer? Did you do free massage? We all got here somehow... And YOU are A LOT!!!

Eeris Kallil CMT said:
I was Nothing!
All 21 year olds think they know a lot, maybe even I did (lol). You have nothing to apologize for. It was mandatory and you did your part for your country, that is what the world is about. I hate war, but I feel we should have a mandatory military, where three years would help a lot of young people grow and mature. Just because you are in the military doesn't mean they would be involved in war. There are a lot of school programs through the military as well. They also just increased the G.I. Bill.

We are glad this profession fell into your lap and I think we will be the better for that. Glad you are part of us!
I was a deputy sheriff and a security officer...still work security, but got tired of people not wanting to see me. Like showing up as a massage therapist and having the people excited that you are finally there.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service