massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

What do you find to be the most challenging aspect of having your own practice or business?

I hear so many comments from new and seasoned therapists alike about how hard it is handle the business-side of their practice but I was wondering what members here find most challenging. Even if you work for someone else, you likely have some responsibility in promoting/marketing yourself or even in keeping up with returning client phone calls, etc. What is it that trips you up or that you always find challenging?

Views: 1109

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You're certainly not the only one with this problem. I usually book a half-hour in between clients, but I'm finding that I still have a tendency to run late, especially by the end of the day. I've recently started booking two-hour blocks, which gives me enough time to really talk about what's going on with my client (who are often good friends of mine) and allows me to expand the session by half an hour if needed. I too type faster than I write, and there's a discussion somewhere on here about client management software--I think Laura Allen had a good one she highly recommended. I eyeballed it online and it does seem to have a trial version, too.

Terry Capuano said:
Hi Felicia...this site has interesting input. My challenge: soap notes and time-management. My schedule is stacked back to back most days (for which I give thanks) and chatting with my clients before and after their massage can take up the few spare minutes I have to reset the table, return a call, drink something, re-boot myself, and write a note about the session. I believe in giving someone my undivided attention when they are in front of me. I have seen most of these clients for several years, and I know a lot about them. I don't like to talk much when they are on the table as it divides my attention, so we chat before and after. This is my 14th year (yeah) as a MT and I have yet to find a solution for this. I book my clients at one and a half intervals, logically that seems like enough time. The end result at home in the evening I am writing the soaps...I know from personal experience it can get out of hand quickly if not completed nightly. I've considered a computer program for notes (l can type faster than I can write) and wondered if anyone has experience using them? I'm also wondering if I am the only one with this challenge? Thanks for your site.
*nod* In the past, my technique has simply been to say, "Hey, come in the room and talk with me about what we're gonna do in session while I change over the table." It's never seemed to bother anyone. What's also bizarre is that down in Denver (where most of my clients are friends), most of my clients know each other socially, too. *laugh*

Terry Capuano said:
Thanks Erica...I'm so happy to see that I am not the only one. After I wrote that post..I really thought about it as I was re-reading it. So I'm trying something different...still continued to listen and make eye contact, but started to re-dress the table (that seemed simple enough). Today was the first day in a long time that my next client wasn't the one watching me do this.
As a student just testing the waters with my toes, I have just recently begun to speak to people about my studying to be a massage therapist. I have always been outgoing and after 8 years of traveling (all over the country in a brightly painted school bus) I thought that I had pretty good communication skills and no problems approaching people. However, I just made business cards stating that I was a student and taking practice clients on a donation basis, and when I have approached people whom I have known for the last 20 years or more.... For the first time since I sold cookies for girlscouts.... I felt insecure about peddling myself.... and was wondering for a newbie if mabye since I felt uncomfortable should I wait until I have a lisence to practice on anyone other then friends and family, or is it benificial even if I am giving out free massages to work on people in leiu of possibly becomming long term clients. I am very confused as this as I had said earlier is not in my nature to feel insecure. Especially about something that I find to be such an uplifting experience.
Many blesings and I am grateful for any imput.

Felicia for me it is the "know how".  I know I want to market my style of massage to the doctors, chiropractors and other medical professionals but can't seem to find an effective way to get my foot in the door for a presentation or even to drop off info....when you call you get the auto answer system and never here from them....

Laura how do I go about filing insurance...I have a background in filing dental claims and my office manager has background in medical insurance sales....what code can a  LLC use to file?

Laura Allen said:

Gee, Felicia, if you and I could clone ourselves we'd have it made!

My main challenge is that in my medically-oriented group practice, about half of my business is insurance-based. I do almost all the filing myself...I have so far had no success in finding someone who does it as efficiently as I do, and I have found that it causes me more stress to turn it over to someone who screws it up that it does for me to do it myself. I am still waiting for Mr. or Ms. Right For the Job to come along. I suppose it is a sign of the present economy that when I have in the past couple of months advertised for "a person experienced in insurance billing with excellent knowledge of medical terminology" that I received a couple of hundred phone calls and resumes from people who know NOTHING about it and are just desperate for a job. That whole experience has made me very hesitant to run another ad.

If you're reading this and that job description sounds like you, call me!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service