massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

Link to Georgia Senate Bill 364:

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/2009_10/search/sb364.htm

Since I've started this thread in the general GA LMT section, I have learned about this "discussion forum" section and thought it only "proper" to steer the discussion to here.

Views: 340

Replies to This Discussion

The thing of it is, we are not massage parlors, a far too common misnomer for brothels. If our local code calls it that, we might be able to launch an effective resistance. And there's still a chance to add wording in the House. It ain't over yet.

Jane Johnson, LMT said:
Staton's SB 364 went on the Senate floor this morning. Senator Valencia, Unterman, and Ramsey spoke favorably and supported the SB from the floor. It passed unanimously. Unfortunately, it was expected that a friendly amendment from the floor was going to be entertained referring to Section 5 so that local municipalities would not place any undue restrictions on our practice. A friendly amendment did not make it to the floor. I am only assuming that if it didn't make it then that it is unlikely that the friendly amendment that was promised will surface. I hope I am proven wrong. I suppose it is off to the House for SB 364 and I anticipate that it will be smooth sailing. This SB comes with highly supported. I understand that local municipalities currently have the authority to regulate massage therapy establishments which includes how, where, and when they practice. Most municipalities have dropped their regulatory fees since we became licensed, however, many have not undated their ordinances to reflect compliance with the Massage Therapy Practice Act. I believe the repeated use of the term "massage parlor" is coming from our own Georgia Code Title 48-13-9 (b) 17 listing "massage parlors" as one category that can be regulated. Yes, it is in our state law! I am thinking this language may need to be amended to "massage therapy establishments" because it is clear that "massage parlor" means prostitution in GA. So, now I believe I see.....maybe....the root to this problem and where it comes from. Am I on to something? Happy St. Patrick's day to all!

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service