massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

HB 446 seeks to repeal regulation for massage therapists, athletic trainers, and other licensed professionals.

Text of HB 446:

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/members/m_billtext.aspx?billn...

AMTA-NH's Response to HB 446:

HB 446 mandates throwback to unlicensed massage therapy in New Hampshire!
Your livelihood in jeopardy
Published Thursday, February 10, 2011
by Vickie Branch

The Facts as we know it:

HB 446 was introduced to the Executive Departments and Administration Committee

Bill Title: repealing the authority for regulation of certain professional occupations.

Sponsors are: Rep. Bowers, Sullivan 3; Rep. Kurk, Hills 7; Rep. Cohn, Merrimack 6; Rep. Pratt, Hills 7; Rep. Lambert, Hills 27

The professions affected: This bill repeals the regulatory boards and authority for licensure or certification for barbering, cosmetology, and esthetics, including tanning facilities; landscape architecture; court reporting; athletic training; recreational therapy; family mediation; hunting and fishing guides; athlete agents; massage therapists; reflexologists, structural integrators, and Asian bodywork therapists; and hawkers, peddlers, and itinerant vendors.

At the time of submission there was no fiscal impact report competed:

Due to time constraints, the Office of Legislative Budget Assistant is unable to provide a fiscal note for this bill at this time. When completed, the fiscal note will be forwarded to the House Clerk's Office

A public hearing is scheduled for February 22, 2011 At 2pm in Representative's Hall of the Legislative Office Building. I would encourage all interested parties to attend. They do not have to speak but can show support or opposition by signing in at the hearing. If they want to speak, it is helpful to have concise written statements that can also be handed out to the representatives. If they plan to speak and feel that what they have to offer is only a repeat of previous speakers then just pass in the written statement. The Massage Licensing Dept and DHHS lawyer will be in attendance as well as me (Vickie!)

Web site to follow this bill: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bill_status/bill_docket.aspx?lsr=14...

Click on upper right corner for Bill status or Bill text for more details

What we don’t know:

Why this bill has been introduced. Since a fiscal impact study has not been completed we do not know if there is a saving of monies. Since the sponsors are all republicans, we might speculate that they just want to cut government regulation in areas that they perceive as being over regulated or un-necessary.  [Note from Kevin: We now know that implementation of HB 446 would cost the State money.]

I have been in touch with the Massage Licensing Dept and the Massage Advisory Board. National AMTA is aware as they were the ones who alerted us to the bill. They will offer support if needed. I have also been in touch with The Federation of State Massage Therapy Board asking for advice and support to have all the bodyworkers be omitted from this bill.

Please feel free to contact me at govrelations@amta-nh.org if you have further concerns.

Thanks

Vickie

Views: 63

Replies to This Discussion

Hope others were able to make it to the meeting, was an interesting two hours with the only people speaking for the bill were the co-sponsors of the bill (3) and one person who thought having a license was only about people protecting their turf from others.

Hopefully the legislature will listen to the overwhelming response from the people in regards to this and kill the bill as it sounds like getting rid of licensing for any of the professions is not a good thing.

Michael,

Thanks for reporting on the hearing.  I was disappointed that the Chair of the ED&A Committee did not allow her Committee members to express their opinions or ask questions.  It made it difficult to determine which way the members were leaning.  I guess we'll have to wait and see how the bill fares in sub-Committee.

I agree with you that if the Representatives want to honor the will of the people, they will kill the bill.  But, alas, this is politics! 

Kevin

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service