massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

Body Cells Carry Emotional Memory

By Boris Prilutsky

I found the theory that body cells carry emotional memories to be a true one. During my 38 years of clinical experience, numerous times I have witnessed the emotional reactions of my patients/clients to soft tissue mobilization. To more clearly explain this phenomenon, I would like to share one of my most interesting clinical experiences with you that support the theory of emotional memory being carried body cells.

Over 20 years ago, I treated one of the world-renowned boxers of the time from a shoulder injury. The right shoulder had a severe sprain/strain case with suspicion of possible rotator cuff tear. As with all such cases, after 24 hours of cold application procedures (cold application must be applied no more than 10-15 minutes and must be repeated every two hours) we started intensive massage therapy on the unaffected side in order to awake vasomotor reflex that will express by increasing blood supply to the injured extremities. I began to follow the treatment protocol for the above-mentioned purposes, starting to mobilize all groups of rotator cuff muscles layer by layer, as well as the anterior, posterior, and middle part of the deltoid muscles. As he was receiving the massage therapy, suddenly this big, tough, extremely strong man started crying, vocalizing sounds like that of a little boy. He was confused and expressed his embarrassment at breaking down in tears.

Being familiar with the theory that body cells carry emotional memory, I suggested to him to cry out whatever this emotional memory was. The sport clinical psychologist was informed of the incident. During his evaluation, this professional athlete, with the help of the psychologist, recovered a memory from his deep subconscious of an event that happened to him when he was eight years old.

Briefly, the story was that the boy's grandfather (his mother's father) once interrupted the constant fight between the boy's father and alcoholic mother; his grandfather attacked his father with a hammer. Afterward, the father was delivered in critical condition to the hospital and the grandfather was arrested. During this period of time, the little boy future boxing champion fell, off his bicycle and hurt his left shoulder. Crying, he came to his mom who was screaming into the phone, and asked her to comfort him because of the pain in his shoulder. His mother reacted in anger, and took his pleas as just whining for attention and she hit him with the phone a few times on this painful shoulder. All these years, on a subconscious level, this man carried difficult baggage of these memories of events related to losing the most important people in his life; his grandfather and father; and related to rejection by his mother. This kind of crying, emotional release tremendously helped this athlete to get rid of this subconscious trauma. This heavy emotional baggage was terribly disturbing and robbed him of a lot of happiness all these years, without him even knowing it existed. My experience has taught me that usually these emotional releases happen with people at the time when we perform massage (including deep tissue mobilization) in the inhibitory regime. Please be aware that emotional release may not be expressed by crying. Many clients may report to you that they have trouble sleeping and experience worry, or they may start shaking during the massage. Some of them will report unusual emotional sensitivity. Please explain to your clients that all above-mentioned reactions are very positive reactions and within the next few days of going through these reactions, they will feel a great deal better. Regarding the boxer whose case I presented to you, he later reported to me that he never thought that this subconscious baggage could destroy the quality and happiness of his life so much. He told me that thanks to this innocent massage therapy on the healthy shoulder, he was able to find peace within himself.

It's reasonable to assume that the memory of the emotional experience is stored somewhere in the brain - the system that is specialized in memory handling and remained inaccessible, as many other memories a human being experiencing during the life. But the shoulder cells hold the bookmark or a memory address of where the actual memories of the incident were stored in the brain. Thus by activating the shoulder cell you triggered the process of loading the content of that remote memory in the active memory, causing the aforementioned reaction.

As you can see from this episode, clinical psychology approach alone wouldn't be sufficient, because of the emotional memories carried by the cells of his body. Presently, I receive professional referrals from clinical psychologists.

Dear colleagues, I would like to encourage you to contact clinical psychologists in your neighborhoods and to offer them your services to incorporate massage therapy in their treatments. The Latin word "doctor" means educator. After being involved in many cases,at US it is clear to me that we should educate not only our clients about the power and importance of massage therapy, but also other health care practitioners.

www.medicalmassage-edu.com

Views: 10120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Raven, in the above paragraph he says that "emotional experience is stored somewhere in the brain." I take him at his word.

Even if we spot him your ambiguous example, you still didn't address the other ones where he said:

"I found the theory that body cells carry emotional memories to be a true one."

"To more clearly explain this phenomenon, I would like to share one of my most interesting clinical experiences with you that support the theory of emotional memory being carried body cells."

"As you can see from this episode, clinical psychology approach alone wouldn't be sufficient, because of the emotional memories carried by the cells of his body."

I, too, take Boris at his word--and that's exactly the problem here.

What excited you, I think, is his additional comment that the shoulder cells hold the "bookmark".

You keep using terms like "excited" and "relax", when the only one in this discussion who has flown into a rage is Boris.

To your animus

I'm not the one calling names. If you really want to be as fair about "animus" as you claim, why don't you address Boris' insulting posts?

Or we could agree to stick to the facts, and leave the personalities out of it. But anyone reading the comments can see who's openly expressed animus, and who hasn't.

regarding the unscientific comment I again apply the term "semantics."

Perhaps if you paid a little more attention to semantics (meaning), you wouldn't have confused proprioception with programmatic memory in your following paragraph.

I will take that as an indication that you're not really interested in the pre-motor cortex, Brodmann's areas, or programmatic memory.

cheers,

Raven

Gary W Addis said:
Boris remarked: ""It's reasonable to assume that the memory of the emotional experience is stored somewhere in the brain - the system that is specialized in memory handling and remained inaccessible, as many other memories a human being experiencing during the life. But the shoulder cells hold the bookmark or a memory address of where the actual memories of the incident were stored in the brain."

Raven, in the above paragraph he says that "emotional experience is stored somewhere in the brain." I take him at his word. What excited you, I think, is his additional comment that the shoulder cells hold the "bookmark". To your animus regarding the unscientific comment I again apply the term "semantics."

Athletics conclusively demonstrate that muscles remember: athletes train for hours per day for half their lives in order to establish and retain muscle memories. Now, you may take that statement to mean that I believe that muscles contain little special, invisible-to-microscopes memory cells. Nonsense. Neural pathways from brain to eye to brain to muscles are established, however. Proprioception may be the clinical term. Whatever the terminology, whatever the mechanism involved, muscle memory is very real.

Meaning no disrespect of your life's experiences and your hard-earned education, once again I point out that you and Boris are working from the same playbook--you are both skilled MT practitioners. You admit that, yes, clients do sometimes undergo emotional "breakdowns" while on your table; so does Boris. He knows not why, only that touching a particular part of a bodypart, the client had some sort of emotional release.

One of my MT instructors is also a board certified, practicing psychologist. His advice to his MT students? Don't interrupt the session unless the client's body tells you to step away... just continue the session, silently providing comforting touch; offer water, a tissue, don't probe for the reasons for the tears, listen if it is volunteered, then when the session is over (depending on the circumstances) refer the client to counseling. In Boris' case, the client wanted to talk: he listened.

Boris' phraseology differs from yours-- he comes from a different background. You may be adamantly against, say, reiki, and he may be a practitioner. I question the energy thingees myself, but I don't condemn outright. For who knows all the mysteries of the Universe.

Science is now discussing the black space beyond the known universe as if it were a living thing--pushing here, pulling there; science believes that smashing two atoms together may create a blackhole that will absorb the solar system. Who's to say what is truth and what is fantasy? --not brilliant scientists who argue over magic strings and big bangs--not me, who admits that I don't even know what to ask.

You are intelligent, and better educated than I. But I too am intelligent, and still questing for answers. A friend of mine scored 187 on MENSA's exam. Although he is a nuclear physicist, he admits that he doesn't fully under the nature of atoms. But he is certain of one thing: atoms do communicate in some manner (thus, the aforementioned string theory, quantum physics, etc) If you have all the answers, please pass them on, and I'll pass the knowledge on to my friend.

"But the shoulder cells hold the bookmark or a memory address of where the actual memories of the incident were stored in the brain. Thus by activating the shoulder cell you triggered the process of loading the content of that remote memory in the active memory, causing the aforementioned reaction."

What is your evidence for that statement, Boris?

Boris Prilutsky said:

Hi Christopher.

I believe that finally  we can finish our whatever you will call but no discussion.

You wrote:I think truth is important.  When someone spreads bad information, I think that information should be challenged.  That is my motivation."

No spining to much,you must write sentence or two on bad information I am spreading?in such a case of will be settled. I agree with you no bad information should be distributed.

one favor to ask please don't repeat that in article I have claimed :"

this is title and below some important information and from article:

it's reasonable to assume that the memory of the emotional experience is stored somewhere in the brain - the system that is specialized in memory handling and remained inaccessible, as many other memories a human being experiencing during the life. But the shoulder cells hold the bookmark or a memory address of where the actual memories of the incident were stored in the brain. Thus by activating the shoulder cell you triggered the process of loading the content of that remote memory in the active memory, causing the aforementioned reaction.

It might be interesting to see what a collaboration between an MT instructor and a researcher might produce as an instructional video. Art and science combined. Effective massage work with research based description. That is of course if both are still standing to reach that point. ;-)
"This video brought to you by Thunderdome Productions: Two go in, one comes out." :)

Daniel Cohen said:
It might be interesting to see what a collaboration between an MT instructor and a researcher might produce as an instructional video. Art and science combined. Effective massage work with research based description. That is of course if both are still standing to reach that point. ;-)
Sigh. A long, heartfelt sigh. Did you overlook my statement (I've made it several times) that *regardless of the mechanism* [the effect is that] muscles have memories? Your prejudice against the phraseology compels you to refute any few words that preclude or precede the words "muscles have memories." Ma'am, I am referring *to the result, not to the methodology*. As a competitive bodybuilder (quite successful, BTW) for nearly two decades and a certified personal trainer for ten years, I don't give a rat's behind HOW: it's the results that count, out here in the real world.

Although it had taken ten years of growing, during a three-year hiatus from the gym, I lost forty pounds of muscle; in six short weeks, I regained all but three pounds of the lost forty----- muscle memory----by whatever methodology, the body knew that, to survive, it had to quickly regrow the lost muscle. Now, textbooks claim that kind of muscle gain so rapidly is impossible. I can send you the dated before and after photos (standing beside me in the after photo is the 1st pl trophy I won in the Masters Class of the IFBB South American Bodybuilding Championships of 1986). Due to something happening in the areas of the brain you mentioned? why would I need to know that? My knowledge of the brain is limited to what I needed for my exams. I can list all twelve cranial nerves and their duties; I can label the brain itself. More importantly, if you tell me where it hurts, I'll know what muscles to test... I am studying to become a massage therapist, and I plan to become a very, very good massage therapist.

Once more just to annoy you: MUSCLES DO HAVE MEMORIES. Whether the memory is stored in brain or in the heel of your foot, the effect is exactly the same.

Dear  Raven.

I did call you dishonest and explained why :

please read again: You wrote huge "essays" not one but many, teaching/ explaining where emotions/ memories  stored, and that you personally witnessing this releases in treatment room,at at the time you did vigorously destruct discussions by all means, including asking me if at a time of providing massage I'm touching actually the following is your exact word:” ." just to be crystal-clear, you don't insert a finger into any orifice, nor touch the anal sphincter, labia, clitoris, mons, scrotum, penis, or testes at all; is that correct? Just answer yes or no" shame on you. Nothing in your participation in this argument was honest, because real discussion was around the phenomena of negative emotions storage in body, and stimulation by massage therapy as a methodology to release it .

In your post to me You said : probably I am “Wrong person” and I agreed with you.

I never said to you “get out” or something  like this. I did wrote to Christopher”get lost”

but lately apologized and  he accepted  my apology and you knew this. Therefore this is not really honest to mention it again.

You wrote :Examples of where he has stated this claim:

who will read all article  will understand that I'm very clear: I don't know where this negatives are stored” even by reading what you propose below there is no claim by me as you described.

If  you did this  intentionally then this is dishonest, if not intentions was involved, then you didn't care about discussion.

Raven ,Below you using samples of my sentence where I am claiming that body cells carry emotional memories.

I couldn't find this claim but only solid position of mine that this negative memories people do storing, people  practically don't know about them, and they destroying their life. Massage therapy clinic up this emotional Trash. Please advise under what number you find my claim.

Most likely under number five. You don't know where is it stored and I don't know, and nobody knows. Therefore I didn't see huge” sin “under number five. And for sake of honesty my article is not about where exactly this storage .

1."I found the theory that body cells carry emotional memories to be a true one."

2."To more clearly explain this phenomenon, I would like to share one of my most interesting clinical experiences with you that support the theory of emotional memory being carried body cells."

3."Being familiar with the theory that body cells carry emotional memory"

4."It's reasonable to assume that the memory of the emotional experience is stored somewhere in the brain - the system that is specialized in memory handling and remained inaccessible, as many other memories a human being experiencing during the life. But the shoulder cells hold the bookmark or a memory address of where the actual memories of the incident were stored in the brain."

5."As you can see from this episode, clinical psychology approach alone wouldn't be sufficient, because of the emotional memories carried by the cells of his body."

Ravensara Travillian said:

Raven, in the above paragraph he says that "emotional experience is stored somewhere in the brain." I take him at his word.

Even if we spot him your ambiguous example, you still didn't address the other ones where he said:

"I found the theory that body cells carry emotional memories to be a true one."

"To more clearly explain this phenomenon, I would like to share one of my most interesting clinical experiences with you that support the theory of emotional memory being carried body cells."

"As you can see from this episode, clinical psychology approach alone wouldn't be sufficient, because of the emotional memories carried by the cells of his body."

I, too, take Boris at his word--and that's exactly the problem here.

What excited you, I think, is his additional comment that the shoulder cells hold the "bookmark".

You keep using terms like "excited" and "relax", when the only one in this discussion who has flown into a rage is Boris.

To your animus

I'm not the one calling names. If you really want to be as fair about "animus" as you claim, why don't you address Boris' insulting posts?

Or we could agree to stick to the facts, and leave the personalities out of it. But anyone reading the comments can see who's openly expressed animus, and who hasn't.

regarding the unscientific comment I again apply the term "semantics."

Perhaps if you paid a little more attention to semantics (meaning), you wouldn't have confused proprioception with programmatic memory in your following paragraph.

I will take that as an indication that you're not really interested in the pre-motor cortex, Brodmann's areas, or programmatic memory.

cheers,

Raven

Gary W Addis said:
Boris remarked: ""It's reasonable to assume that the memory of the emotional experience is stored somewhere in the brain - the system that is specialized in memory handling and remained inaccessible, as many other memories a human being experiencing during the life. But the shoulder cells hold the bookmark or a memory address of where the actual memories of the incident were stored in the brain."

Raven, in the above paragraph he says that "emotional experience is stored somewhere in the brain." I take him at his word. What excited you, I think, is his additional comment that the shoulder cells hold the "bookmark". To your animus regarding the unscientific comment I again apply the term "semantics."

Athletics conclusively demonstrate that muscles remember: athletes train for hours per day for half their lives in order to establish and retain muscle memories. Now, you may take that statement to mean that I believe that muscles contain little special, invisible-to-microscopes memory cells. Nonsense. Neural pathways from brain to eye to brain to muscles are established, however. Proprioception may be the clinical term. Whatever the terminology, whatever the mechanism involved, muscle memory is very real.

Meaning no disrespect of your life's experiences and your hard-earned education, once again I point out that you and Boris are working from the same playbook--you are both skilled MT practitioners. You admit that, yes, clients do sometimes undergo emotional "breakdowns" while on your table; so does Boris. He knows not why, only that touching a particular part of a bodypart, the client had some sort of emotional release.

One of my MT instructors is also a board certified, practicing psychologist. His advice to his MT students? Don't interrupt the session unless the client's body tells you to step away... just continue the session, silently providing comforting touch; offer water, a tissue, don't probe for the reasons for the tears, listen if it is volunteered, then when the session is over (depending on the circumstances) refer the client to counseling. In Boris' case, the client wanted to talk: he listened.

Boris' phraseology differs from yours-- he comes from a different background. You may be adamantly against, say, reiki, and he may be a practitioner. I question the energy thingees myself, but I don't condemn outright. For who knows all the mysteries of the Universe.

Science is now discussing the black space beyond the known universe as if it were a living thing--pushing here, pulling there; science believes that smashing two atoms together may create a blackhole that will absorb the solar system. Who's to say what is truth and what is fantasy? --not brilliant scientists who argue over magic strings and big bangs--not me, who admits that I don't even know what to ask.

You are intelligent, and better educated than I. But I too am intelligent, and still questing for answers. A friend of mine scored 187 on MENSA's exam. Although he is a nuclear physicist, he admits that he doesn't fully under the nature of atoms. But he is certain of one thing: atoms do communicate in some manner (thus, the aforementioned string theory, quantum physics, etc) If you have all the answers, please pass them on, and I'll pass the knowledge on to my friend.

"I don't give a rat's behind HOW"

Boris is making very specific claims about HOW, though, and teaching those claims as fact, which is why this is the topic of the thread.

"Once more just to annoy you: MUSCLES DO HAVE MEMORIES. Whether the memory is stored in brain or in the heel of your foot, the effect is exactly the same."

Really, I'm not annoyed. Eppur si muove*, baby. You can deny neuroanatomy all you want; it isn't any less true for all that.

I will, however, point out that Boris has just fulfilled the first half of my testable hypothesis. In response to a normal question that any self-proclaimed academic can expect to be asked at any time, he just called me "dishonest" again.

Ball's in your court now. You can prove the fairness you claim, and disprove my testable hypothesis at the same time. Or not. Up to you.

("And yet, it moves.", What Galileo is alleged to have said in defiance at his Inquisition trial when the Catholic church forced him to deny that the earth moves around the sun.)

Gary W Addis said:

Sigh. A long, heartfelt sigh. Did you overlook my statement (I've made it several times) that *regardless of the mechanism* [the effect is that] muscles have memories? Your prejudice against the phraseology compels you to refute any few words that preclude or precede the words "muscles have memories." Ma'am, I am referring *to the result, not to the methodology*. As a competitive bodybuilder (quite successful, BTW) for nearly two decades and a certified personal trainer for ten years, I don't give a rat's behind HOW: it's the results that count, out here in the real world.

Although it had taken ten years of growing, during a three-year hiatus from the gym, I lost forty pounds of muscle; in six short weeks, I regained all but three pounds of the lost forty----- muscle memory----by whatever methodology, the body knew that, to survive, it had to quickly regrow the lost muscle. Now, textbooks claim that kind of muscle gain so rapidly is impossible. I can send you the dated before and after photos (standing beside me in the after photo is the 1st pl trophy I won in the Masters Class of the IFBB South American Bodybuilding Championships of 1986). Due to something happening in the areas of the brain you mentioned? why would I need to know that? My knowledge of the brain is limited to what I needed for my exams. I can list all twelve cranial nerves and their duties; I can label the brain itself. More importantly, if you tell me where it hurts, I'll know what muscles to test... I am studying to become a massage therapist, and I plan to become a very, very good massage therapist.

Once more just to annoy you: MUSCLES DO HAVE MEMORIES. Whether the memory is stored in brain or in the heel of your foot, the effect is exactly the same.
Oh, please, Raven, do expend another thousand words teaching us things we don't have a need to know. Other than to impress, why mention the architecture of the brain? I know the nerve pathways that service the musculature; I know muscle insertions and origins and ROM of joints; I know the best position to isolate major muscles both for exercise and for palpation: that is all I need to know as both a personal trainer and as a massage therapist.

Why is the phraseology so blankety important to you? Do you think Nolan Ryan knew at precisely what angle he needed to bring his pitching arm forward in order to throw an inside fastball? That the inside fastball earned him a strike three and a no-hitter is all that mattered to him. Do you honestly think that Boris--or any student for that matter-- needs a clinical blueprint of the workings of the brain-to-muscle pathways?

FMI, what precisely is an anatomist? Dictionary says one who studies anatomy. Do you hold a doctorate? No matter, I once taught bodybuilding and proper bb nutrition to a heart surgeon.

Here in this sentence absolutely clear I am describing real act and clinical outcome and speculating about where this storage is.this is just  description.now one of two:Or  you really have no clue what you're talking about,and therefore  you are asking" what is my evidence"or  again your dishonesty was triggered by natural mechanism.on the other hand if this is a sample of yours about me" spreading bad information"I really don't want anymore to argue with you on nothing. The line was crossed. I even don't want to say shame on you. You created all turbulencebecause of this" bad information"?
Ravensara Travillian said:

"But the shoulder cells hold the bookmark or a memory address of where the actual memories of the incident were stored in the brain. Thus by activating the shoulder cell you triggered the process of loading the content of that remote memory in the active memory, causing the aforementioned reaction."

What is your evidence for that statement, Boris?

Boris Prilutsky said:

Hi Christopher.

I believe that finally  we can finish our whatever you will call but no discussion.

You wrote:I think truth is important.  When someone spreads bad information, I think that information should be challenged.  That is my motivation."

No spining to much,you must write sentence or two on bad information I am spreading?in such a case of will be settled. I agree with you no bad information should be distributed.

one favor to ask please don't repeat that in article I have claimed :"

this is title and below some important information and from article:

it's reasonable to assume that the memory of the emotional experience is stored somewhere in the brain - the system that is specialized in memory handling and remained inaccessible, as many other memories a human being experiencing during the life. But the shoulder cells hold the bookmark or a memory address of where the actual memories of the incident were stored in the brain. Thus by activating the shoulder cell you triggered the process of loading the content of that remote memory in the active memory, causing the aforementioned reaction.

"teaching us things we don't have a need to know"

Exactly my point. Why are we wasting resources teaching anatomy, research literacy, and critical thinking if we're just going to make up any old explanations we like? For the money spent on those subjects versus the apparent results we've gotten, we could have just all gone to Cabo and gotten drunk for months at a time instead.

"No matter,"

Yeah, that just about sums it up.

"I once taught bodybuilding and proper bb nutrition to a heart surgeon."

I once taught a surgeon how to give a pill to a cat.

Gary W Addis said:

Oh, please, Raven, do expend another thousand words teaching us things we don't have a need to know. Other than to impress, why mention the architecture of the brain? I know the nerve pathways that service the musculature; I know muscle insertions and origins and ROM of joints; I know the best position to isolate major muscles both for exercise and for palpation: that is all I need to know as both a personal trainer and as a massage therapist.

Why is the phraseology so blankety important to you? Do you think Nolan Ryan knew at precisely what angle he needed to bring his pitching arm forward in order to throw an inside fastball? That the inside fastball earned him a strike three and a no-hitter is all that mattered to him. Do you honestly think that Boris--or any student for that matter-- needs a clinical blueprint of the workings of the brain-to-muscle pathways?

FMI, what precisely is an anatomist? Dictionary says one who studies anatomy. Do you hold a doctorate? No matter, I once taught bodybuilding and proper bb nutrition to a heart surgeon.

"what precisely is an anatomist?"

http://tinyurl.com/3h9h5tc

Gary W Addis said:

I thought you made very good commentary. Like you, I believe (and don't boil me alive in a test tube if I am wrong) I am more interested in the results I get than the terminology. I am good at what I do (evidence base = average 33+ massages a week). I am not a researcher and have barely time to make notes regarding my clients. But I welcome the research being done to try and establish why massage works. As for disproving effectiveness that has over and over proven effective it is, in my opinion, wasted effort in a pointless debate. Semantic debate is a game that serves none of us. It is fine to do research and find that an explanation used by many is indeed false. But that is a far cry from finding that the technique used is not effective. It does mean that more research is needed to understand the why (if one feels a need to know). 

Gary W Addis said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service