massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

Since being on this site I have discovered that we all fight stereo-typing of our chosen profession.  We all work/study to the highest level of our professional ability.  I was professionally offended by the commercial of Danica and the massage therapist.  It wasn't funny to me.  As a woman their commercials are disturbing, but now godaddy has picked my/our profession.

I have sent a complaint to godaddy.com and I am wondering what everyone else thinks of this portrayal?

Did it bother you?   How many of your clients will bring it up?  Or was it just advertising?

THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED TO DISCUSSION.   THE FINAL DATE OF THE PETITION IS FEBRUARY 15, 2010.   THANK YOU TO EVERYONE THAT PARTICIPATED.

Views: 1042

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Massage in 3" heals? Maybe we should; they look like dual purpose tools; weapons to end any inappropriate comment. Oh sorry, violence is not the answer.

On a serious note, I've never understood how anyone could say "lighten up" in response to a complaint from a whole lot of people. Because it hasn't happened enough to one MT negates the many times it's happened to several others?

Lettermen's talking about the Super Bowl commericials; gotta go! None of them were very good this year if you ask me.

Gloria Coppola said:
I did not say I wasn't aware of it ,Choice, I meant, I don't know really know how much you get the same innuendos as females? I have only heard of very few incidences of males reporting to me that they have had suggestions or comments made to them. That's all I know.

As for all the comments on here,I am also not boiling over about this ad. It did not provoke me in the way it may have for some. I am just saying it is about time we speak up.

Some people seem to take it lightly, Some may be more upset and some in the middle of the road. Like we said, everyone has their own opinion.

I did bring up the TV shows and Yes many years ago I did write in about the Seinfeld episode along with other colleagues. Unfortunately, no one responded and there wasn't social networking to organize everyone.

Let's face it! There is a stereotype. Maybe our clients don't accuse us because we are professional but it doesn't mean we don't encounter problems.
So I will tell you a story.

20 years ago a woman gave her husband a gift certificate. He waited until the last minute to use it.
We had a discussion and he admitted he didn't know what to do if he got an erection?
Months later the wife wanted to get him another gift certificate, he came in again just before it expired.
He said to me he had been seeing another massage therapist and he wanted to know if I did those other things, y'know, moves? When I told him absolutely not, he begged me to not tell his wife and he apologized to me.

So you see they will assume and ask even if we are presenting professionally. I was working in a chiropractors office at the time too. And another older gentleman in his 70's did not hesitate to play head trips and then exposed himself. In a medical professional atmosphere can you imagine?

I had another gentleman come in one day and he was dressed in a suit, a school teacher by the way. He was dressed very professional.
He read the disclosure at the bottom of the intake form and hesitated to sign. He said I never had to fill out one of these forms. I said you obviously are in the wrong place. I politely dismissed him and he said thank you.

So for those of us commenting if we represent ourselves professionally and take responsibility, this won't happen. Wrong! It may not happen as often, but it happens occasionally.

Fortunately ,it has not presented it self to me in over 15 years. I do hear from other LMT's that encounter this occasionally.

So, if we don't start speaking up, we can expect that some of us may be put in this uncomfortable position and why???

I don't think any one should have to feel compromised or threatened.

I have been teaching for years and many new students are concerned about this being a possibility because of what is "out there" and comments family and friends make. It is an awful feeling.

And Like Terry said, she was only asking Did it bother anyone or was it just advertising?

By the way if you are on FaceBook Bodhi Haraldsoon has started a page:
Massage Therapist offended by the Go Daddy ad

Someone posted a comment from the owner of Go Daddy:
Dear Deborah,
The commercial was not damaging to massage therapists in any way. Lighten up. You'll live longer.
Bob

By the way , do any of you massage in 3 inch heels?

Choice Kinchen said:
Gloria, c'mon. You been in the biz for 25 years and you're not aware of the innuendos men therapists have had to deal with too? Maybe not as often as women, but it happens. I've also had to deal with chiros and other "professionals" incl. medical that said they would not hire me cause I'm male and not female. Can we say discrimination?
So did anyone send petitions to the "Friends" people or the "Seinfeld" people for their seemingly lack of respect towards their portrayals of massage therapists? Just askin'.
By the way, I'm not a newbie. I've been in the biz for 10 years.
Hi Terry,
Im back again, I personally feel the same way as my first comment, however I see this commercial has really caused a stir. As part of the MASSAGE AND BODYWORK PROFESSION I feel I need to step up to the plate and make a pitch. As we near the big number of 5000 I feel if we as professionals, need to defend ourselves then lets make it known. Start a petition!! Send it to GoDaddy ! Let them Know that we do not appreciate the portrayal set upon us. I do not think they would appreciate it if the shoe was on the other foot I doubt it would, because this day in time companys are striving to stay in business and throwing ETHICS out the door and dont care who they hurt. Female or Male
1.Travis Alligood, LMBT- Salisbury, NC
Oh and by the way while everyone is stepping up to the plate, lets invite more Licensed Massage Therapist to the site so that they to can help with the petition.

Travis Alligood said:
Hi Terry,
Im back again, I personally feel the same way as my first comment, however I see this commercial has really caused a stir. As part of the MASSAGE AND BODYWORK PROFESSION I feel I need to step up to the plate and make a pitch. As we near the big number of 5000 I feel if we as professionals, need to defend ourselves then lets make it known. Start a petition!! Send it to GoDaddy ! Let them Know that we do not appreciate the portrayal set upon us. I do not think they would appreciate it if the shoe was on the other foot I doubt it would, because this day in time companys are striving to stay in business and throwing ETHICS out the door and dont care who they hurt. Female or Male
Travis

A massage therapist has already started a petition. She lives nearby Go Daddy and intends on taking this to them personally. Here is the site for anyone interested.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/massageprofessionals/

Travis Alligood said:
Oh and by the way while everyone is stepping up to the plate, lets invite more Licensed Massage Therapist to the site so that they to can help with the petition.

Travis Alligood said:
Hi Terry,
Here is the link on Face Book for those that are interested

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=296416620741&ref=ts
Bodhi Haraldssen also posted this on Face Book
How to ditch Go Daddy

http://smarterware.org/5117/how-to-ditch-godaddy-redux
Gloria Thank-you !

Gloria Coppola said:
Here is the link on Face Book for those that are interested

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=296416620741&ref=ts
I think I need to write a letter to GoDaddy, just to let them know that not ALL LMTs feel this way. :)
It's not a male thing for me...I just see it as an inane commercial that I won't remember by next week. Also, as I have aged I have learned to let things slide....you can't take issues with everything that goes against your grain of thinking.......that then would be your job. I now (at age 54) wait for really big issues that affect me...then I do pounce on them. None of my corporate accounts will see me as any different than the good therapist I am...that includes male and female.

I had no problem with the male therapist on Seinfeld that worked on George....and George thought "it" might have moved. The therapist was made to look like a stupid guy that immediately jumped into deep tissue cause that's what male therapists do. Didn't affect me personally.

I didn't sign for my reasons. It had NOTHING to do about "daring" to enter a "female therapist issue". People that take offense to that should remember that giving opinions require listening to opinions.

I so wish people would quit bringing up the male/female therapist thing. Such a tired old argument.
GoDaddy achieved exactly what they wanted with their 2.6 million dollar ad. People are talking about it. The more mail they receive in a negative or positive is just confirming the fact that, business-wise, they made the right decision for their money.
Yes they did !
Marissa Macias said:
GoDaddy achieved exactly what they wanted with their 2.6 million dollar ad. People are talking about it. The more mail they receive in a negative or positive is just confirming the fact that, business-wise, they made the right decision for their money.
Thank you Marissa. I was wondering when someone else would notice. In marketing there is no such thing as bad PR. and that's how we as individuals have to have a mindset as well, if we are truly going to compete and succeed in our chosen fields. We may all LOVE what we do. but there still is a business side to things. and all GoDaddy did was use what has worked for them in the past.

I bet their google analytics shows a huge jump in their ranking with a large population of hits coming from this very site. they oughta take a bow. I'm gonna see how I can get my site on theirs. maybe I'll have as much success. of course...i won't sport the heels. hurts my back. :)

I also love the questions by Terry on if it had been a male therapist dancing and stripping would there be so many up in arms. My guess is there wouldn't be. Hell I'd love to watch a commercial like that. I watch tv for entertainment....not for business.

btw...I LOVE Benny Hill. :)

Marissa Macias said:

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service