massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

I was browsing  different massage therapy related web sites when I came across this:

http://www.abmp.com/news/md-bill-to-increase-entry-level-education-...

In a nutshell it says the ABMP is against Maryland increasing the education requirement from 500 hrs to 600 hrs.

How do you guys feel about this?  Are you for or against raising the entry level bar to become licensed or certified?

Personally, I think that as long as the entry level requirements stay as low as they currently are, then ME and other franchises can justify the low pay rates they offer.  I am for upping the educational requirements, however I am new to the industry to maybe their are negatives to increasing the education requirements that Im just not aware of.

Your thoughts? 

Views: 1164

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How is that therapist doing after her surgery?   I personally have never met a carpal tunnel client that I have not helped.. When I mean helped... I mean no more carpal tunnel...I teach people how to fix them selves... goodness...   everyone check this guys site out.. www.mrtherapy.com   and there are many many other ways to take people out of pain..  As long as therapists are conditioned to think they have to run to a chiro or MD for these common aches and pains...we will get low wages... cause thats all  we are trained for, and in most cases worth... I dont have that mindset......That guys training is not the bottom line... but his $300  course is way more empowering and advanced then any massage school..  Something on the lines of his course should form the  core of any massage license...Patients would come to us...if they new reality, and we knew what were were doing... Everyone studies... passes all these tests...all this anatomy stuff.. all the clinicals... then when their arms and hands get sore... run to a  Doc or chiropractor?    I repeat...  If there  is no underlying pathology.. Its soft tissue work all the way....Carpal Tunnel costs are in the billions...I can cure anyones carpal tunnel...just like that guy says on his website  You can fix yourself in reality..But instead of the billions of dollars coming to massage therapists.. it goes elsewhere, and we work at ME for minimum wage instead.  Our schooling, despite all the testing is unempowering and creating these low wages our profession suffers with..  What if massage therapists were known to be the go to people for carpal tunnel?  But we arnt trained to knoww that or be that.    Truth Remains Hidden

Therese Schwartz said:

Pete, thank you, thank you, thank you for your straightforward and simple posts about this.  We have a real issue in this country with accepting personal responsibility, and that needs to change.  This comment will probably not be popular, but it seems that massage therapists tend toward a victim mentality.  I know from personal experience; I've worked long and hard to eliminate mine.  I wish that more people could realize that they do not have to give away their personal power.  But, with power comes responsibility.  I've worked hard to build my own practice and carve out a niche for myself in my town (and region).  If something doesn't work, it's all on me.  If something works wonderfully, it's all on me too.

In case anyone is thinking that Gordon is exaggerating about MT"s and carpal tunnel, my personal MT just had carpal tunnel surgery, even after I pointed out all of the muscle issues that were creating it during her last massage with me.  I have switched to a new MT - a client of mine that I've mentored over the last 18 months and she's doing really good work. She is taking as many CE classes as time and money allow, and is really helping people.

You're welcome!

Pete L Blanco II said:

Therese, thank you for that.  

I haven't talked to her in a couple of weeks; at that time she was still several days away from being able to use her hand at all.  So, according to that time frame, she had 2 weeks post-surgery of not using it at all and she's supposed to be able to go back to massaging 4 weeks post-surgery.  When I talked to her she still had pain from the surgery itself, which is hardly surprising.

Gordon J. Wallis said:

How is that therapist doing after her surgery?   I personally have never met a carpal tunnel client that I have not helped.. When I mean helped... I mean no more carpal tunnel...I teach people how to fix them selves... goodness...   everyone check this guys site out.. www.mrtherapy.com   and there are many many other ways to take people out of pain..  As long as therapists are conditioned to think they have to run to a chiro or MD for these common aches and pains...we will get low wages... cause thats all  we are trained for, and in most cases worth... I dont have that mindset......That guys training is not the bottom line... but his $300  course is way more empowering and advanced then any massage school..  Something on the lines of his course should form the  core of any massage license...Patients would come to us...if they new reality, and we knew what were were doing... Everyone studies... passes all these tests...all this anatomy stuff.. all the clinicals... then when their arms and hands get sore... run to a  Doc or chiropractor?    I repeat...  If there  is no underlying pathology.. Its soft tissue work all the way....Carpal Tunnel costs are in the billions...I can cure anyones carpal tunnel...just like that guy says on his website  You can fix yourself in reality..But instead of the billions of dollars coming to massage therapists.. it goes elsewhere, and we work at ME for minimum wage instead.  Our schooling, despite all the testing is unempowering and creating these low wages our profession suffers with..  What if massage therapists were known to be the go to people for carpal tunnel?  But we arnt trained to knoww that or be that.    Truth Remains Hidden

Therese Schwartz said:

Pete, thank you, thank you, thank you for your straightforward and simple posts about this.  We have a real issue in this country with accepting personal responsibility, and that needs to change.  This comment will probably not be popular, but it seems that massage therapists tend toward a victim mentality.  I know from personal experience; I've worked long and hard to eliminate mine.  I wish that more people could realize that they do not have to give away their personal power.  But, with power comes responsibility.  I've worked hard to build my own practice and carve out a niche for myself in my town (and region).  If something doesn't work, it's all on me.  If something works wonderfully, it's all on me too.

In case anyone is thinking that Gordon is exaggerating about MT"s and carpal tunnel, my personal MT just had carpal tunnel surgery, even after I pointed out all of the muscle issues that were creating it during her last massage with me.  I have switched to a new MT - a client of mine that I've mentored over the last 18 months and she's doing really good work. She is taking as many CE classes as time and money allow, and is really helping people.

Well I hope it works for her..Often times it does not.  Curious.. Before she had her surgery, were her forearms sore? 

Therese Schwartz said:

I haven't talked to her in a couple of weeks; at that time she was still several days away from being able to use her hand at all.  So, according to that time frame, she had 2 weeks post-surgery of not using it at all and she's supposed to be able to go back to massaging 4 weeks post-surgery.  When I talked to her she still had pain from the surgery itself, which is hardly surprising.

Gordon J. Wallis said:

Therese Schwartz said:

Oh yes they were!  And the felt like concrete.  Even my client who plays the clarinet doesn't have forearms like that!  I hope it works for her too.  

Hmm, well cutting that nerve, will not eliminate that muscle pain.  I hope it does work for her... Follow up on it for us.   PS- tell your clarinet client that the best clarinet ever made was a Leblanc Dynamic H.

Therese Schwartz said:

Oh yes they were!  And the felt like concrete.  Even my client who plays the clarinet doesn't have forearms like that!  I hope it works for her too.  

I will definitely follow up and let you know how the surgery worked!

I know nothing about clarinets but I'll pass along the message. :)  She is going to make a career of it - she's getting a Clarinet Performance degree from the university here in town (Oklahoma State University) and then she's going on to a Masters and an MBA.  She's also a barn buddy; it will be hard when she leaves!!

Gordon, could you tell me where to get the video(s) you mentioned for carpal tunnel soft tissue release?

Please and thank you.

It wouldnt let me paste the link here.  So I sent you a message with the link.

Follow up on the MT with the carpal tunnel surgery - she says it's still a bit weak but she has no pain in her thumb and is planning on doing the other hand in August.

Well good.  It just seems a bit drastic.  But what do I know?

Therese Schwartz said:

Follow up on the MT with the carpal tunnel surgery - she says it's still a bit weak but she has no pain in her thumb and is planning on doing the other hand in August.

I wish less drastic alternatives had been given a chance...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service