massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

How does this subject make you feel?

Your schooling, training and everything is for not. That's what some on this site are touting as a reason to stop the professions progress thus far with the BOK. They continue to try and tie prostitution and massage together as the reason for licensing. It is not because we wish to enter the healthfield.

Read for yourself at http://www.massageprofessionals.com/group/bodyofknowledge/forum/top...

Instead of working with the leaders of this profession they want to create an entire new bureaucracy . It's your profession. How do you feel?

The following stories should give you a clearer picture of our massage landscape and how those resisting licensure are hurting the profession.

Views: 766

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd agree, except most states license not certify. Most states already have guidelines and there needs to be a consensus. It comes down to which states want more, since they are the ones that will make this decision. I do not want more bureaucracy. But I do want enough that allows portability between states. Certification will cost you money as well and come with bureaucracy. Records still have to be maintained. I am trying to make sure these costs are as low as possible.

The folks touting their program have not reviewed their schools or new schools even, since 2007. They have no mandatory CEU's. All healthcare related professions have continuing education requirements. And I do not think that will impress the healthcare industry. Let's get real. We need to set a standard of licensure in this country if we are going to be taken seriously.

Lisa said:
i don't think it matters if it's a license OR a certification, as long as it's accepted across the states utilizing the same educational standards and testing. to have licensing JUST for the sake of licensing is silly to me. it's just more bureaucracy. it's another way for the state to make money and nothing more. i'd be quite happy with just certification as long as everyone was equal so one could work anywhere.
except the problem i see in licensing is that since it is done through the state, it will always be different from state to state. only through one accepted, high quality certification will you ever get it accepted throughout all states.

i'm curious...how are nurses or doctors or chiros regulated?
That's why we want one set of licensing standards created by the state boards. Keep watching.

State's license and the medical industry follows the rules. Just like we will.

Lisa said:
except the problem i see in licensing is that since it is done through the state, it will always be different from state to state. only through one accepted, high quality certification will you ever get it accepted throughout all states.

i'm curious...how are nurses or doctors or chiros regulated?
i'm curious why you feel it needs to be on the state level and not a massage governing body that oversee's all state requirements? and would we still have to get certified AND licensed? that is where i have real issues.

what's the requirements for chiros?
The following information is my opinion of why you are right!

That's exactly who is doing it, The massage governing body that oversee's all state requirements is the (State) Massage Therapy Board. They are usually picked by the Govenor of the state. The State Massage Board's have gotten together to organize because they saw the industry needs organized. They have already made huge strides in improving the profession.

When associations tried to organize the industry, they were slammed by the other associations and independent therapists. There was little licensing, at that time and it was hard to have any rules. Prostitution was rampant within the industry. Associations promoted licensure hoping to curb the comparisons. States, individually, and with a lot of pressure from therapists within the states started licensing. It has taken decades of effort on AMTA's behalf trying to get us to this point. And yes, I know a lot of folks don't accept that, but it's fact.

The state boards have formed the Federation of States Massage Therapy Boards. This is the organization that will create the Model Practice Act and lead the way to portability among the agreeing states. Will it be all the states? That is up to the states. I would love to see all the states come together. But this is the perfect group to address the entire issue. And they are. I have never felt more confidence in a group as I do this one and their sincere determination to accomplish this for the profession.

At the FSMTB annual meeting, this month, I met people that are lightyears ahead of the average therapist. These people create our hope. I have never been more proud to belong to a profession. And when they finish, you will too.

Lisa said:
i'm curious why you feel it needs to be on the state level and not a massage governing body that oversee's all state requirements? and would we still have to get certified AND licensed? that is where i have real issues.

what's the requirements for chiros?
I know psychologists don't have portability.

As far as this comment -"We are going to organize this profession. Licensing does not hurt us at all. It has made the public aware of the fact that there are legitimate, educated therapists doing the work as well and they can find us."

What proof do you have that licensing doesn't hurt us? Has it mad the public aware? I have never once been asked in 20 years if I was licensed but then again things here are different.

I would love to see someone really study and figure out what the profession needs as a whole. Is that even possible? Study Minnesota who has the freedom of access law, study Canada and Japan and other countries? Is it licensing that makes us a profession or just being professional?

Is licensing needed or just higher standards of education?

We all can just give our opinions which I of course love to do and that is how many of our laws are created by just those people who bother to stand up and do something so they do what they want to do (I am not just talking about massage.)

Julie
www.thebodyworker.com
Don't know about psychologists, but I hear from hundreds of therapists that - they do want portability. The public does pay attention to the fact that an establishment is legit or not. With my Massage News Magazine, I get feeds everyday about people around the country being arrested for posing as massage therapist and how they are caught is when they don't produce a legit license! More therapists are turning these folks in. And the public can tell if you are legit quick. If therapists want to be taken serious, they must license. If it doesn't matter which one, why are medical professions licensed and then certified?

We all have opinions and voice them. I'm just glad that states will finally make this decision. And I believe they are doing what is best for the profession. And it is their call now, not ours!

Julie Onofrio said:
I know psychologists don't have portability.

As far as this comment -"We are going to organize this profession. Licensing does not hurt us at all. It has made the public aware of the fact that there are legitimate, educated therapists doing the work as well and they can find us."

What proof do you have that licensing doesn't hurt us? Has it mad the public aware? I have never once been asked in 20 years if I was licensed but then again things here are different.

I would love to see someone really study and figure out what the profession needs as a whole. Is that even possible? Study Minnesota who has the freedom of access law, study Canada and Japan and other countries? Is it licensing that makes us a profession or just being professional?

Is licensing needed or just higher standards of education?

We all can just give our opinions which I of course love to do and that is how many of our laws are created by just those people who bother to stand up and do something so they do what they want to do (I am not just talking about massage.)

Julie
www.thebodyworker.com
Where I work now, we have to display our Massage License in the room we are working so the clients have access to them. If we change rooms the license must go with us to the new room. If we do a couples massage the license goes to that room. It is all about the Clients being able to check and see that we are legal LMT's. At the center they were displayed on a bulliten board. No more of that. They are displayed on a stand in the room.
They are there for a reason. Does it bother you to have to do that? Seems like it takes care of the legit thing. And with the licensure they can check the state page to check if it is real. Sounds easy to me.

Darcy Neibaur BS LMT NCTMB said:
Where I work now, we have to display our Massage License in the room we are working so the clients have access to them. If we change rooms the license must go with us to the new room. If we do a couples massage the license goes to that room. It is all about the Clients being able to check and see that we are legal LMT's. At the center they were displayed on a bulliten board. No more of that. They are displayed on a stand in the room.
It really is not a bother to me. There is a display stand on each self in the rooms. The problem is sometimes I do forget to move the license, espeacilly if I have a back to back massage and have to change rooms and the massage has not been communicated correctly on the computer. We have a computerized booking system that is dislayed in the therapist break room so we know if there are couples coming in for a massage. Sometimes the couple is displayed as separate massages, and then changed at the very last minute to a couples massage.

Mike Hinkle said:
They are there for a reason. Does it bother you to have to do that? Seems like it takes care of the legit thing. And with the licensure they can check the state page to check if it is real. Sounds easy to me.

Cool!

It really is not a bother to me. There is a display stand on each self in the rooms. The problem is sometimes I do forget to move the license, espeacilly if I have a back to back massage and have to change rooms and the massage has not been communicated correctly on the computer. We have a computerized booking system that is dislayed in the therapist break room so we know if there are couples coming in for a massage. Sometimes the couple is displayed as separate massages, and then changed at the very last minute to a couples massage.

Mike Hinkle said:

Yes, it is a really nice computerized system. Each therapist is listed by shift and then the booking is displayed under their name. It is all color coded so we know if someone is coming in for the first time or is a repeat, has been called to confirm the appointment or sent an email confirmation etc. Then for no shows it puts a big X over their info. I have never seen anything like it until now. It also displays special requets by the client for a therapist, if it is Deep Tissue, Reflexology, etc, and Pre Natal etc. You would love it.

Mike Hinkle said:
Cool!

Mike Hinkle said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service