massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

Needing advice from any who have experience working with fibromyalgia clients

I have a new client who has fairly severe firbomyalgia. Most of her pain is in her calves, just above her knee, her hands, and upper back. 

I've just completed the second session. I did tell her (based on what I've read) that she may feel more pain after the first few sessions, but that it would lessen and help overall after many more sessions.

The site I went to recommended starting out twice a week. I've been using very gentle swedish massage, along with myofascial release. 

She experiences pain, not during the massage, but immediately afterward. Then it gets better, and then worse again. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. It's hard to find concrete details on what to expect.

Can anyone suggest a good site on firbo that is from a massage perspective? Or share your own experiences with me?

For the second session I tried working on each area less, in case I spent too much time there and thus, aggravated the muscles. 

I appreciate any advice you all have to give me.           ~ Jennifer Baker  LMT

Views: 1529

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thank you.  Your explanation helps, and it is a certainty that it helps eliminate lymphedema.

Therese Schwartz said:

Actually, with Chickly's LDT (I don't know about other forms of lymph work), you aren't rubbing at all.  You make light contact (if you feel fascia you are too deep; the lymph layer is just under the skin), feel for the approx. 3 second wave of lymphatic fluid as it's pumped by the vessels, and enhance that wave with a gentle 3 second nudge.  If there is no flow, you create it with the 3 second nudges.

It is very light pressure except for the abdomen and a couple of places on the legs, where you can work deeper.  In the abdomen, you can work different layers of lymph flow.

Every cell in the body has access to the lymphatic system; the vessels are very simple deep in the tissue, just enough to collect the fluid.  They increase in size and complexity as they get closer to the surface of the body.  A great deal of the lymph system is just under the skin.  But there are 100's of lymph nodes in the abdomen, and so it's good to get deeper there.  (All of this I'm doing from memory and the class was last year so it's a bit hazy, but these are the basics as I remember them.)

The reason that LDT can affect the fluid deep in the body is because it's a water-based system and any time you move water in one part of the body it affects the whole body.  It's just like dropping something into a swimming pool - the ripples extend through the whole pool.

Massage can affect lymph but only indirectly.  Because massage is at the muscle level, the therapist necessarily pushes through the lymph layer to get to the muscles.   Any modality that works on the fluid systems of the body will improve all of the fluid systems.

This is a bit stream-of-consciousness and I'm rushing a bit because I have a client on the way.  I hope this helps answer some questions!  If not, let me know. thanks

I'm glad it helps!

It definitely helps with lymphedema; we talked about that a lot in LDT 1.  The emphasis with lymphedema is on safety - through the Chickly Institute they want therapists to be lymphedema certified before they work on it because of how dangerous it can be if something goes wrong.

Gary W Addis, LMT said:

thank you.  Your explanation helps, and it is a certainty that it helps eliminate lymphedema.

Therese Schwartz said:

Actually, with Chickly's LDT (I don't know about other forms of lymph work), you aren't rubbing at all.  You make light contact (if you feel fascia you are too deep; the lymph layer is just under the skin), feel for the approx. 3 second wave of lymphatic fluid as it's pumped by the vessels, and enhance that wave with a gentle 3 second nudge.  If there is no flow, you create it with the 3 second nudges.

It is very light pressure except for the abdomen and a couple of places on the legs, where you can work deeper.  In the abdomen, you can work different layers of lymph flow.

Every cell in the body has access to the lymphatic system; the vessels are very simple deep in the tissue, just enough to collect the fluid.  They increase in size and complexity as they get closer to the surface of the body.  A great deal of the lymph system is just under the skin.  But there are 100's of lymph nodes in the abdomen, and so it's good to get deeper there.  (All of this I'm doing from memory and the class was last year so it's a bit hazy, but these are the basics as I remember them.)

The reason that LDT can affect the fluid deep in the body is because it's a water-based system and any time you move water in one part of the body it affects the whole body.  It's just like dropping something into a swimming pool - the ripples extend through the whole pool.

Massage can affect lymph but only indirectly.  Because massage is at the muscle level, the therapist necessarily pushes through the lymph layer to get to the muscles.   Any modality that works on the fluid systems of the body will improve all of the fluid systems.

This is a bit stream-of-consciousness and I'm rushing a bit because I have a client on the way.  I hope this helps answer some questions!  If not, let me know. thanks

Drain the adrenals, fibro is a system. Treating it is like treating a sysptom for a cold. Why bother unless you are just going to  treat one symptom after the next.  The adrenals are over working and must first be turned out...that is also why the lymphatics struggle because there is a toxic overload inside of several systems...the kicker is the adrenal button...do you know how to do this or even what i'm referring because most do not; because it is not taught to most of us.

explain it, please.

hi gary there was a problem with the site otherwise i would have posted this message sooner.  fibro like other outbreaks are triggered from elsewhere, in this case it will always go back to the endocrine system: Adrenals, although it doesn't look this way when commonly treated because of the degree of inflammation present throughout the body. Nonetheless, the adrenals are out of control and must be brought back and maintained. Drainage is called but not the typical and body balancing front and back, torso and lower limbs. The patient is suffering from lack of what is needed and too much waste that is not moving through the lymphatic system fast enough. To calm things down which is the first thing that must happen the adrenals must be quiet. Question, do you know how to quiet the adrenal.  

Uhm, drain the adrenals, fibro is a system?  What does that sentense mean?  If fibro means fibromyalgia Ive helped all my fibro clients by eventually eliminating all the trigger points. With great success.  So if you are some how draining the adrenals to help fibromyalgia clients. Then there must be more then one way to skin a cat? Because I know what I do works pretty dang good.  The nervous system in fibromyalgia clients is in a hyperexcited state. So often times I have to spend a great deal of time toneing down that hypersensitive nervous system before Im able to start eliminating the trigger points.. Uhh, any way.  What are you talking about, curious?

I don't know how to quiet the adrenals; is it possible to do that on myself?  I have adrenal fatigue that is getting better with essential oils and supplements but still, I need all the help I can get.

Adrenal fatigue is a problem of huge proportions these days, and it's being ignored by almost everyone.

Grab a reflexology chart find the location for the adrenals. Always use opposite hand on opposite foot. You will use only the tip of the middle finger touch the reflex spot. Do not press hard or firm the lighter the better. You are feeling for a buzz or current it will feel slight and faint at first. The more you stick with it the stronger it will become. This is only half of the procedure for the rest you will need someone else. for this we should skype for clarity.

I've always been curious what method/instrument Eunice Ingham used to discover what spot of the foot affects the adrenals, etc.     

Ive had several different reflexology books at one time.  When I compared their charts the corrosponding organ points often did not match. The Japanese have a foot reflexology system that works too? And there is no correlation between organ points compared to the  American or European version.  And then there are accupuncture points and so on.  Seems like a lot of points.  

just find an american chart look online.  just one point you have to know...the adrenals

Wilson, a google search for "reflexology charts" produces 192,000 listings.  Lots of differences in a significant percentage of the charts.  In fact, while reading one well designed reflexology website, I came across this: "And if you don't agree fully with any of the charts you find, then MAKE YOUR OWN based on your experiences."

Now, anyone who has read a few of my postings knows that I am hardly an evidence-based massage therapist.  The only criteria I use in assessing a treatment is whether it works for me, for my clients.  Reflexology, in my personal opinion, doesn't compare favorably with a good foot massage. No offense intended. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service