massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

We need some input for our Round the Table column in the next issue of Massage & Bodywork magazine. Reply with your answers and you just might see it printed in the next issue!

The question this time is:

As a massage therapist, what are some of your professional pet peeves? 

Views: 5983

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Linda, glad to hear your story but sad that you weren't familiar with it out of massage school. Are we getting so concerned about teaching to pass written tests that we forget there is a body we must teach MTs to rub. I enjoy teaching deep lymphatic massage and seeing the amazement on student's faces as they discover this little explored major area of the body.

Linda LePelley, RN, NMT said:

LOL! I remember in my first year of practice, I was terrified of doing abdominal work!  It hadn't been done in school and I wasn't a nurse yet, so -- I was afraid I would rupture someone's organs!!  It wasn't until a client complaining of chronic constipation asked for a light "tummy rub" that I attempted it. I had my body charts out and was nervous and shaky, but as soon as I calmed down and checked with her on the pressure to use and location of discomfort, it was very easy to do and beneficial to her. I look back and see where a massage mentor would have been a big help. The young woman who massaged me needed a mentor, as well...

Lee Edelberg said:

Ah, I see, Linda......your original assessment was right :-)  Too bad! 

I bought a Groupon coupon for a massage last year from a young woman with a new practice.  When she asked me if there was anything in particular I wanted I asked her to include some abdominal work since in my experience it's not always a given in a full-body massage. She told me that she hadn't learned any ab work in school so she couldn't do it. And she didn't!

Hi Gordon.

I agree with  every word you have said.

Yesterday morning, I exchanged posts on the subject. 

• Sandra - Sadly you are right about the stigma we must deal with in order to gain recognition as healthcare providers. Note Wiki definition: Massage parlor
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
    "Massage parlors -
    A massage parlor is a business where customers can receive a massage. Sometimes the term is synonymous with brothel as the term "massage" may be used as a euphemism for paid sexual favours.
    Particularly where brothels are illegal, massage parlours (as well as saunas, spas or similar establishments) may be fronts for places of prostitution. Illegal brothels disguised as massage parlours are common in the United States, UK, Canada, Australia, South Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, UAE and many other countries.
    Alternatively the massage may have a "happy ending", meaning that it ends with the client being masturbated, thus providing a light version of prostitution.
    However, not all massage parlors are involved in prostitution.

Gordon J. Wallis said:

Exactly...

Daniel Cohen said:

And many pathologies respond to massage as well. Diagnosis belongs to Doctors but using a Doctors diagnosis to determine what modality is most useful from your tool box is our scope of practice. We can assess and apply our skill where we know it is applicable. Many illnesses respond well to Abdominal work & lymphatic massage reducing need of medication and surgery. This is the area we need recognized so we can do what we are capable of. With state licensing we are no longer called entertainment, recognition is growing.

“The physician must be experienced in many things, but most assuredly in rubbing.” Hippocrates

Rubbing has been left in our hands.

Gordon J. Wallis said:

Yea. A skilled Massage Therapist has a lot to offer to the general public....And despite its popularity.  Massage Therapy is still underutilized and even un-recognized for its true healing capabilities....If you rule out any underlying pathology. Its a skilled Massage Therapist all the way...I know it.

Daniel Cohen said:

Jeff we already have a term. It is massage but in this label hungry world we continue to seek to qualify and identify ourselves to differentiate where there is no need but self gratification and profits. The numbers will grow just like the needless identification and subdivisions of illness. It is a modern sickness that we think identification is the cure. In massage it is thought to somehow justify us. Rather than seeking to remold ourselves into a medical mold, we should be presenting ourselves as the alternative for general health maintenance and let insurance companies come to us rather than seeking physician referral to the insurance companies.

Hi Noel. You have offered interesting information. When I have arrived to US,and first-time in my life have heart “Term” Massage parlor , the first question in my mind was , why massage have to be involved in prostitution ? Maybe I am naïve but this innocent question still crossing my mind as we speak .If this stigma exist today then having not much strong influence on our industry, and didn't bother Tornopolsky/Melov research team to conduct wonderful study, and to conclude:” massage therapy should be considered as a medical procedure”. In my opinion all dependent how each of us emotionally reacting on “Massage parlor”. Honestly, emotionally I'm not reacting at all, it just business not related to what I'm doing. When Los Angeles City used to permit me, as an adult entertainer, I was laughing. It was very funny. What was not funny at all, that we used to be limited to practice in different California cities , but thank God today we have state certification. If Massage parlor, including word massage, then let's call our treatment medical massage. In such a case one would have to be sick in his /her mind to confuse us with Massage parlor. Dear Sandra. My advice change your feelings about this stigma, you have nothing to do with it, why to react emotionally?
Best wishes.
Boris

Boris Prilutsky said:

Hi Gordon.

I agree with  every word you have said. When we will get recognition by medical societies all issues we are discussing at this page will settle, and most importantly we will be able to survive by helping people and earning money. I personally work with group of medical doctors, and each of them referring to me in average to patients per week. When Drs. referring, patient understand that she/he have to come for therapy five weeks twice per week. I believe we on the way to get these recognitions/referrals.as you can see it is possible to generate desirable amount of clients.

if you will be interesting to read full 12 post discussions you'll find a link below .http://www.facebook.com/borismedmassage

Best wishes.

Boris

Hi Noel. You have offered interesting information. When I have arrived to US,and first-time in my life have heart “Term” Massage parlor , the first question in my mind was , why massage have to be involved in prostitution ? Maybe I am naïve but this innocent question still crossing my mind as we speak .If this stigma exist today then having not much strong influence on our industry, and didn't bother Tornopolsky/Melov research team to conduct wonderful study, and to conclude:” massage therapy should be considered as a medical procedure”. In my opinion all dependent how each of us emotionally reacting on “Massage parlor”. Honestly, emotionally I'm not reacting at all, it just business not related to what I'm doing. When Los Angeles City used to permit me, as an adult entertainer, I was laughing. It was very funny. What was not funny at all, that we used to be limited to practice in different California cities , but thank God today we have state certification. If Massage parlor, including word massage, then let's call our treatment medical massage. In such a case one would have to be sick in his /her mind to confuse us with Massage parlor. Dear Sandra. My advice change your feelings about this stigma, you have nothing to do with it, why to react emotionally?
Best wishes.
Boris

Succinctly stated Boris, I agree with what you say. We often lose sight of direction because of emotion which has nothing to do with the objective.

Boris Prilutsky said:

Best wishes.
Boris

In 1995 when I went to massage school it was just 350 hours, 50 of which were clinicals. They did a really good job and I had some excellent teachers, but passing the tests were, by necessity, the focus. They told us that we just knew the basics, and it would be up to us to expand our knowledge. I wanted a better understanding of A&P, and I was excited about an article by John Barnes I'd read about fascia, so I ended up going to nursing school. (Where I learned not one thing about fascia, LOL!) I love nursing but I love massaging more. Nursing responsibilities, especially once you are put into supervisory roles, pull you away from the patients.

I came to realize that, for me, the best way to learn and become adept at massage is to do massage. I could take and pass all the classes available, but it didn't make me a good therapist. I massaged everyone who would let me, and their pets, too! Still do. Anyway, I think we find a way to learn what we want to know. I don't think more hours and requirements are going to make a better therapist.

Daniel Cohen said:

Linda, glad to hear your story but sad that you weren't familiar with it out of massage school. Are we getting so concerned about teaching to pass written tests that we forget there is a body we must teach MTs to rub. I enjoy teaching deep lymphatic massage and seeing the amazement on student's faces as they discover this little explored major area of the body.

LOL! I remember in my first year of practice, I was terrified of doing abdominal work!  It hadn't been done in school and I wasn't a nurse yet, so -- I was afraid I would rupture someone's organs!!  It wasn't until a client complaining of chronic constipation asked for a light "tummy rub" that I attempted it. I had my body charts out and was nervous and shaky, but as soon as I calmed down and checked with her on the pressure to use and location of discomfort, it was very easy to do and beneficial to her. I look back and see where a massage mentor would have been a big help. The young woman who massaged me needed a mentor, as well...

Lee Edelberg said:

I bought a Groupon coupon for a massage last year from a young woman with a new practice.  When she asked me if there was anything in particular I wanted I asked her to include some abdominal work since in my experience it's not always a given in a full-body massage. She told me that she hadn't learned any ab work in school so she couldn't do it. And she didn't!

Hi Daniel.

I'm glad you agree.

am very  optimistic in the regards of our industry future,because I believe when it's coming to "be or not to be"humans  finding ways to succeed. body and mind  is one unit, and emotions only cannot lead us to success. Have a great day.

Boris

Daniel Cohen said:

Succinctly stated Boris, I agree with what you say. We often lose sight of direction because of emotion which has nothing to do with the objective.

Boris Prilutsky said:

Best wishes.
Boris

In my school one of the instructors taught us to do abdominal work, but other instructors would just about have a heart attack if we did.  In spring qtr I begin my internship.  So, in a few weeks I will be permitted to take my licensing exam.  Then...I can begin to learn.

Lee Edelberg said:

Don't know about other areas, but here the concern is that women are self-conscious about their soft, swollen bellies.  They'd rather expose their privates than their flabby midsection.

Daniel Cohen said:

Lee, I wonder what school she went to and how many hours the course was. I also like ab work and would regard that as a terrible omission. But I have had new clients who filled in my intake form with "often" for massage frequency. Later they say "that was great, I have never had my stomach worked before". For some reason it is the most neglected area.

Lee Edelberg said:

At one point in my career I was a single parent and not busy at all with my massage work...Every month I would go to the food stamp office...I remember one day, I had just finished my one and only massage of the day.. About ready to head out the door to the food stamp office.. When I heard two women talking.. " I heard that massage guy is really good.. Id go to him, but I don't want him to see my fat."  So thats another factor that does come into play at times.

Gary W Addis said:

Don't know about other areas, but here the concern is that women are self-conscious about their soft, swollen bellies.  They'd rather expose their privates than their flabby midsection.

Daniel Cohen said:

Lee, I wonder what school she went to and how many hours the course was. I also like ab work and would regard that as a terrible omission. But I have had new clients who filled in my intake form with "often" for massage frequency. Later they say "that was great, I have never had my stomach worked before". For some reason it is the most neglected area.

Lee Edelberg said:

But it isn't a reason not to be trained in abdominal work.

Gordon J. Wallis said:

At one point in my career I was a single parent and not busy at all with my massage work...Every month I would go to the food stamp office...I remember one day, I had just finished my one and only massage of the day.. About ready to head out the door to the food stamp office.. When I heard two women talking.. " I heard that massage guy is really good.. Id go to him, but I don't want him to see my fat."  So thats another factor that does come into play at times.

Gary W Addis said:

Daniel Cohen said:

Lee Edelberg said:

The schools are pressured for time.  My class was 750 hours stretched out to 18 months (for a diploma, 24 months for the AAS degree).  There's too much to learn in such a short time.  For that, $32,000 in student loans in addition to the Pell grant.  We worked out of some really first rate textbooks, but in most of the classes the instructors were forced to pick and choose what chapters to teach.  For instance, this qtr ended today: four modalities grouped together into a class labeled "special pops massage." Geriatric, Sports, Pregnancy, Reflexology, all crammed into 12 weeks, and this qtr, no clinic time--we worked on one another.  We did have to demonstrate proficiency with an outside client in the practical exam for each, but it was just the basic routine, which we had to learn by rote--do this, then do that--never vary or you'll forget where you are and fail the test.  Having said that, most of us did develop a modicum of proficiency in all four.

Daniel Cohen said:

Lee Edelberg said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service