massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

I’m sure this will be controversial.  But like everything I write in here, it’s my truth.

There is too much emphasis on fascia.  And I feel that is one of the reasons that holds our profession back.  I never once think about fascia when I’m working(doing my best to help people out of pain). I do however think about muscle.  Muscle has a much, much, much sronger contractile force then fascia.  There is really no comparison.  Muscles move bones. And can certainly distort posture.  Then when you consider the fact that muscles work in chains and groups that function as one powerful muscle. You are going to be a much more effective therapist if you concentrate on releasing tight painful contracted muscle tissue, instead of of releasing fascia.   My opinion only.  Something to think about? 

Views: 633

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

(PS- the chart above is from Tom Meyers's Anatomy trains, the Deep Front Line, which is focused on facial lines.....)

A video on 'Proprioception of fascia' by Jaap Van der Wal: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP81apG2eHQ

Tom Myers and Dr Robert Schleip discussing proprioception and interoception

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyQ-E_a36eQ

Kit, I watched the video.  But for me personally, it means nothing?   No practical value. Just cool intellectual stuff.  That’s why I started this thread.  This over emphasis on fascia, on a practical level, is only good for continuing education credits. 

70% of all pain on the planet is trigger points.  That’s where the emphasis needs to be.  If you wanna help people out of pain(as a massage therapist).

A hundred chronic pain people come to you.  You are going to dramatically help 70 of them. If you are checking for trigger points.  

Recently a new patient came into the clinic suffering from two years of plantar fasciitis.  Even the name fasciitis implies fascia.  

She went through weeks of physical therapy.  They had her exercising her feet. Stretching her feet.  All in order to loosen up the plantar fascia.  None of that workeed.  Exercising a trigger pointed muscle is the worst possible thing to do.  

So now she is in a big time pain management clinic.  Her plantar fasciitis Pain she rated at a 9/10 on the pain scale !!  She limped when walking.  Medication did not touch it.  

One of the doctors I work with wanted me to check her out, because he suspected myofascial pain. Which means, in the clinic I work in, trigger points.  

In 15 minutes her plantar fasciitis was gone.  It was one trigger point on the plantar surface of her heal. If I did not work there, the anesthesiologist or Osteopathic physician I work with, would have Injected that trigger point with the same result.  Pain gone. 

She was freaked out happy. She was hobbling when she walked into the clinic.  After 15 minutes she said, “I can walk”.

Only one trigger point!

I have an advanced way to eliminate trigger points.  But it was just a trigger point.  Someone else, not brainwashed about fascia, would have helped her in a relatively brief amount of time,  if they were thinking about trigger points.  

It’s  way more practical for a massage therapist to think in terms of trigger points rather then fascia(If you want to help people out of pain).   That’s all I’m trying to say.  

My opinion.

Not telling anyone what to do or how to think.  This is just what I know.  What I know can change.  

Gil Hedley on integral human anatomy, fascia and the link between body fat and consumer culture. Gil Hedley talks to Doerte Weig about how discovering our inner bodies allows us to experience our bodies as continuous, to accept muscles as scientific mental creations, to understand how our connective tissues fascia enables movement, and how with appreciation for our bodies we can even come to love our fat.

http://somaticstoolkit.coventry.ac.uk/s02-episode-1-gil-hedley-inte...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Lara Evans Bracciante.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service