massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

I had a new client today.  She told me that her right shoulder always hurts...She had surgery on it last year, but it still hurts, and that nothing changed sense the surgery.   I said well  where does it hurt.. She said they operated on the front of her shoulder but she always felt it was coming from the back of her shoulder... I palpated her infraspinatus and she had a huge nocioceptive response..she jumped and let out a loud OUCH...I asked her if she had any type of therapy prior to the surgery last year... She said that she had four and a half months of chiropractic and massage with no results..same pain..nothing changed... I asked her if any of the massage therapists or the chiropractor that worked on her ever touched her there... She said NO. I asked her if the Medical doctor touched her there..She said No.  I asked her if after the surgery if she had any physical therapy..She said yes...I asked her if the physical therapist ever touched her on that spot...She said yes.  I asked her if she jumped and screamed like she did when I touched that spot..She said yes.  I said what did he do about it... She said he just gave her exercises to do.    I released that infraspinatus trigger point in 30 seconds.. On firm re palpation it wasnt there any more...she didnt jump or flinch.. She said I feel no pain.  Its gone.  I will see her again next week. But its gone.   

Views: 1551

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gordon is right!  I started my Myofascial work with a John Barnes class but then bought the complete set of Til Lucau's DVD's.  It's an excellent way to get started.  It comes with all the notebooks you get if you go to the classes too.

Gary, it really is expensive to travel.  I'm lucky in that my husband has a good, stable job.  We have no kids, and we both believe in continuing ed.  So I'm well supported! And I didn't go to an expensive school so I had no debt coming out.  I really know that I'm fortunate!

Gosh I sold a lot of my DVDs and books a year ago.. before I discovered this site...I could have given some away..I sold then cheap too..

Therese Schwartz said:

Gordon is right!  I started my Myofascial work with a John Barnes class but then bought the complete set of Til Lucau's DVD's.  It's an excellent way to get started.  It comes with all the notebooks you get if you go to the classes too.

Gary, it really is expensive to travel.  I'm lucky in that my husband has a good, stable job.  We have no kids, and we both believe in continuing ed.  So I'm well supported! And I didn't go to an expensive school so I had no debt coming out.  I really know that I'm fortunate!

Unfortunately, MS permits only 5 of the required 24 CEUs to be via online or DVD; the rest must be through seminar.  I agree, I learn better by mulling over the material for a while, I tend to nod off during lectures.  ABMP free seminars are a fine resource, but they're mostly just dry lecture while staring at an occasional changing graphic.  I've been known to nod off before the thing ends. :(

Yeah, I've created a list of DVDs I'd love to buy, for my own edification more so than for CEU credits.  Gordon, living in an unregulated state, isn't required to acquire any CEUs, but nevertheless he's got a full library of textbooks and DVDs.  He spends, not to hang paper on his wall, but to enhance his awesome skills.

I dont like that system at all...I learn from culling through books and dvds...picking up what fits me...way less expensive...I personally would find those requirements limiting. 

Gary W Addis said:

Unfortunately, MS permits only 5 of the required 24 CEUs to be via online or DVD; the rest must be through seminar.  I agree, I learn better by mulling over the material for a while, I tend to nod off during lectures.  ABMP free seminars are a fine resource, but they're mostly just dry lecture while staring at an occasional changing graphic.  I've been known to nod off before the thing ends. :(

Yeah, I've created a list of DVDs I'd love to buy, for my own edification more so than for CEU credits.  Gordon, living in an unregulated state, isn't required to acquire any CEUs, but nevertheless he's got a full library of textbooks and DVDs.  He spends, not to hang paper on his wall, but to enhance his awesome skills.

oh, yeah, I prefer having it in my hand to study as I find the time.

The lady that cancelled her surgery...Came in today happy, just to  to say hi.. She is fine...working  out and moving fast..No pain...She talked to the owner of the spa for twenty minutes...And I did good for another lady today with neck pain today..  Im on a roll... lol... Most pain people experience is muscular...Not nerve or joint....Thats a reality few realize...   Truth remains hidden.  Very hidden.

Gary W Addis said:

You guys I dont mean to preach...Im just saying my opinion. in here..Im so into my work.....I  just feel really good when I can help someone.. really good.

Gordon J. Wallis said:

The lady that cancelled her surgery...Came in today happy, just to  to say hi.. She is fine...working  out and moving fast..No pain...She talked to the owner of the spa for twenty minutes...And I did good for another lady today with neck pain today..  Im on a roll... lol... Most pain people experience is muscular...Not nerve or joint....Thats a reality few realize...   Truth remains hidden.  Very hidden.

Gary W Addis said:

I know what you mean Gordon!  It's a really good feeling, and worth sharing.

Can't remember if I've posted about this or not...a really good friend of ours has a little autistic boy who just turned 6.  I've been doing CranioSacral Therapy on him, and the changes in him are exciting!  His teachers at school have noticed the differences.  His mom is so happy.  I never wanted to work on kids but there is nothing like being able to improve the life of a child.  I didn't charge her for the first 8 sessions or so - it wasn't about the $$ at all.  It's changing me too, and definitely for the better.

Good on you, Therese

Thanks Gary!  I said I'd never work with children...but here I am!  And I'm taking Upledger's CST for Pediatrics in January 2013.  Never say never!  My little client is really teaching me a LOT, and expanding me personally.  It's a heck of a journey! :)

I've experienced a sweet taste of your experience.  A grandnephew in town with parents for a visit had been hurting for a couple of weeks with a shoulder injury--catching himself in a fall he had apparently over stretched stuff.  A doctor had injected cortisol that helped only a few hours if that, a physical therapist had stretched the already overstretched joint. 

I reached deep into the boy's armpit, found the tender spot near the underside of the scapula (not sure if it was subscapularis tendon or serratus or possibly latissimus tendon--whatever).  I pressed into it for about ten seconds hard enough to cause a grimace. Then slowly released.  He was amazed that it no longer hurt.  Relieving the child's pain felt really good. 

I have used a novice's MLD on swollen tissue due to an old injury (no redness, no pain, too large to be thrombosis, no pitting edema).  I was very gentle, just encircled the lower leg with both hands and brushed upward as I have seen them do in videos.  The next day she called to say the swelling was down a bit.  Now, I am certain I didn't do it right--but I didn't hurt anything, and she reports that it seemed to help. 

Lots of edema due to surgeries, cancer treatments, etc , and to my knowledge no locals trained in MLD.  Another modality I want to study someday.

Off topic, but something I found interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=QD82pKNFnPE&am...

Videos called "Strolling Under the Skin".  Actual filming inside living tissue--fantastic

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service