massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

Is massage therapy recognized as an therapeutic /medical procedure???

Is  massage therapy recognized as an therapeutic /medical procedure???

This link is to my article on this subject, where I am not only answering this question but also proposing practical steps.

http://medicalmassage-ceu.com/article_new6.htm

You  are welcome to post comments: thoughts and questions on the subject. It is important dialog for every one of us.

Best wishes.

Boris

Views: 1534

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello everyone.

Below you will find my correspondence on the other discussion. I believe it is interested,and therefore I decided to share. I posted questions to this nice lady. Hoping some of you will express opinions.

Best wishes.

Boris

Hi everyone
Is massage therapy recognized as a medical procedure? Well, that depends on who you are asking and what condition massage is being used to treat? As a therapist who bills insurance companies, I can tell you that when soft tissue damage occurs, due to auto collision, massage is recognized as a medical necessity and paid for. So in this instance, the answer is yes!
Lets make note of this. Tiffany Fields of The Touch Research Institute has proven massage effective for a wide range of various medical conditions and diseases. I feel it is a matter of educating both the general public and medical practitioners of the benefits of massage to aid our profession to a larger scale of recognition.
I feel obligated to also state that getting caught up on terms (medical massage vs therapeutic massage) will only navigate the massage profession backwards. Why? Because these terms are confusing to the general public. I was caught up for years on the fact that I was certified in all of these "advanced modalities " of massage. It stroked my ego quite nicely, I must say. But when I taught a basic massage coarse to beginning massage therapists I was reminded that the physiological responses to basic Swedish massage are the number one component of healing the body! That is a huge statement. One that needs to be the focus of educating. All other techniques are helpful, indeed. And can be used to treat complicated musculoskeletal disorders. But as a wide range tool for aiding the body in homeostasis, basic therapeutic massage is it folks.
I hope my opinions are helpful for this discussion.
Take care <3

Hi So…

Thanks for post. You have expressed a lot of important points to discuss. My concern is why majority of my colleagues leaving us for good, cannot survive financially. Don't want to repeat myself . A lot on this subject I'm talking at my article.

Mentioned above reality, according to you is because of general public is confused “getting caught up on terms (medical massage vs therapeutic massage)”?

The other question is in what advanced modalities you where certified? What does it mean advance modalities, and why it is advance modalities? What is it Swedish massage? Is it approach/developed protocols , unified methodology  that all schools teaching it? What is it basic therapeutic massage

massage? I mean no offense, but my feeling you didn't read my short article where I am sharing my opinion on this subject.

Dear Sommer. From my US discussion experiences, I have learn that some time people feeling like I'm, not friendly or something like this. I want you to know, that's my style of discussion is an professional mentality factors. This is how I used to discuss. I mean I am asking direct questions. I hope you feel with these good.

Want you to know always I mean good, we are members and friends, and in spirit of holidays, and all worry about future of our industry, and if everyone will contribute, will make it and big time.

Looking forward to continue our discussion. Predicting it will be clarifying , beneficial discussion.

Best wishes.

Boris

PS. I agree with you in regards of physiological effect of massage on the human body. With pleasure pride and sense of privilege I'm taking a bit credit for sharing this knowledge with others. 20 years ago when I come to America, I was the first one(this is on the record) who in articles, live seminars etc. introduced this to community. 20 years ago on the record, as I stated in clip with in my article it was different. In my opinion ,The big and confusing problem of today is that our industry offering today 100s of different names. As I stated in my article medical massage, orthopedic massage, therapeutic massage, massage therapy, clinical massage , is a pretty defining what kind of therapy we are providing.

Hi Daniel.

Recently I sold school approved by state of California. General rules/requirement, schools must teach in English language only. Most likely this Chinese /Korean schools are not approved by the Bureau of postsecondary education, and therefore graduates cannot apply for state certification. Rules is rules, and therefore in this case you cannot talk about discrimination. Now please let's not distract, my discussion, and let's come back to try somehow find way to get more recognition/patients in order to be able to help people at the time for us to survive financially.if necessary please read again my article, and then express opinion,agree or disagree,if disagree why, if agree then I'll know that I have supporters and moving into the right directions. I will appreciate it very much.

Best wishes.

Boris

Daniel Cohen said:

Boris, the schools I mentioned are massage schools that teach in the Chinese & Korean languages. They are not language schools. It will not help recognition to exclude these schools without a route to acceptance. They will be a major opponent to continuing CAMTC when new legislation is proposed. CAMTC needs to address this issue immediately to end discriminatory practices that will join thousands of Therapists with proponents of returning local control over massage.

I agree with you that state recognition benefits us. However, a system that forces schools into bankruptcy rather than requiring compliance appears to have other agendas.

Boris Prilutsky said:

Daniel.

I am glad we both agree that CAMTC has been a big help to our profession. I don't have no idea in regards on what is go on With Chinese & Korean language schools. I mean it sounds like they teaching the language, what is have to do with  massage therapy?  In any case as you said CAMTC has been a big help to our profession, and let's pray that it will continue after January 1, 2016. It was set up as an experiment, and proving to be great outcome for us and general public.

Thanks for explanation.

Best wishes.

Boris

Daniel Cohen said:

Boris, new legislation is required to extend the law that allows statewide certification.

"SB 731 4620.  This chapter shall remain in effect only until January 1, 2016, and as of
 that date is repealed, unless a later enacted statute, that is enacted before
January 1, 2016, deletes or extends that date."  The date was recently moved up.               

it was setup as an experiment that has a termination date. I agree that the voluntary
certification by a private organization has been a big help to our profession. But I
also believe we should move up to a State Board of Massage as other states have which
is mandatory and is publicly operated. If CAMTC is to continue then the banning of Chinese
& Korean language schools should be changed to suspension with a means of rehabilitation.
An individual who is denied has the right to apply again in a year but schools on the
list (Chinese & Korean language schools) are banned without notificationor understanding
why and forced into bankruptcy. Greater transparency of operation would be required
if it was a public agency.

These issues are important to the continuation of state licensed or certified massage
as the debate will ensue and we again face those opposed to state license/certification.
I think it is important to have all of our support and not a divided front when this arises.
 CAMTC needs to address the Chinese & Korean issue so those communities do not oppose
state level massage. At this time the are actively opposing due to what is perceived
as discrimination and can only get local licenses to work or work illegally. An effort is
needed, in my opinion to bring everyone together
before the legislature considers this issue again.

Not only are they approved by the Bureau of postsecondary education but they are also registered with NCBTMB and their students sit for the exam. Those who have passed the exam are accepted by CAMTC but because of English difficulty the numbers are limited.

I have heard that many of the Chinese school graduates are now attending a school in Hollywood with a Chinese translator and most students spend their time on smart phones or netbooks only putting in time so they can get CAMTC certified. It is not conducive to improvement of the profession and providing increased employment, in my opinion.

Thank you for the information regarding English requirement. I will look into this further.

Boris Prilutsky said:

Hi Daniel.

Recently I sold school approved by state of California. General rules/requirement, schools must teach in English language only. Most likely this Chinese /Korean schools are not approved by the Bureau of postsecondary education, and therefore graduates cannot apply for state certification. Rules is rules, and therefore in this case you cannot talk about discrimination. Now please let's not distract, my discussion, and let's come back to try somehow find way to get more recognition/patients in order to be able to help people at the time for us to survive financially.if necessary please read again my article, and then express opinion,agree or disagree,if disagree why, if agree then I'll know that I have supporters and moving into the right directions. I will appreciate it very much.

Best wishes.

Boris

Daniel Cohen said:

Boris, the schools I mentioned are massage schools that teach in the Chinese & Korean languages. They are not language schools. It will not help recognition to exclude these schools without a route to acceptance. They will be a major opponent to continuing CAMTC when new legislation is proposed. CAMTC needs to address this issue immediately to end discriminatory practices that will join thousands of Therapists with proponents of returning local control over massage.

I agree with you that state recognition benefits us. However, a system that forces schools into bankruptcy rather than requiring compliance appears to have other agendas.

Boris Prilutsky said:

Daniel.

I am glad we both agree that CAMTC has been a big help to our profession. I don't have no idea in regards on what is go on With Chinese & Korean language schools. I mean it sounds like they teaching the language, what is have to do with  massage therapy?  In any case as you said CAMTC has been a big help to our profession, and let's pray that it will continue after January 1, 2016. It was set up as an experiment, and proving to be great outcome for us and general public.

Thanks for explanation.

Best wishes.

Boris

Daniel Cohen said:

Boris, new legislation is required to extend the law that allows statewide certification.

"SB 731 4620.  This chapter shall remain in effect only until January 1, 2016, and as of
January 1, 2016, deletes or extends that date."  The date was recently moved up.               

it was setup as an experiment that has a termination date. I agree that the voluntary
certification by a private organization has been a big help to our profession. But I
also believe we should move up to a State Board of Massage as other states have which
is mandatory and is publicly operated. If CAMTC is to continue then the banning of Chinese
& Korean language schools should be changed to suspension with a means of rehabilitation.
An individual who is denied has the right to apply again in a year but schools on the
list (Chinese & Korean language schools) are banned without notificationor understanding
why and forced into bankruptcy. Greater transparency of operation would be required

These issues are important to the continuation of state licensed or certified massage
as the debate will ensue and we again face those opposed to state license/certification.
I think it is important to have all of our support and not a divided front when this arises.
 CAMTC needs to address the Chinese & Korean issue so those communities do not oppose
state level massage. At this time the are actively opposing due to what is perceived
as discrimination and can only get local licenses to work or work illegally. An effort is

Sounds strange. I am proposing Korean/ Chinese  school situations to discuss privately. Please give me a call,or e-mail to me. In any case let's go back to topic  discussion I have proposed in my article as well in posts.thanks.

Looking forward to talk to you.

Best wishes.

Boris

Daniel Cohen said:

Not only are they approved by the Bureau of postsecondary education but they are also registered with NCBTMB and their students sit for the exam. Those who have passed the exam are accepted by CAMTC but because of English difficulty the numbers are limited.

I have heard that many of the Chinese school graduates are now attending a school in Hollywood with a Chinese translator and most students spend their time on smart phones or netbooks only putting in time so they can get CAMTC certified. It is not conducive to improvement of the profession and providing increased employment, in my opinion.

Thank you for the information regarding English requirement. I will look into this further.

Boris Prilutsky said:

Hi Daniel.

Best wishes.

Boris

Daniel Cohen said:

Boris Prilutsky said:

Daniel.

Thanks for explanation.

Best wishes.

Boris

Daniel Cohen said:

Boris...I've been doing this kind of work for almost three decades...One of those decades I worked for 1st tier providers exclusively.  I don't want to have to fit into their treatment plans anymore.. Or be dependent on them for money any more. I like being independent. As far as being an effective therapist.. What use to take me days and weeks, I now do in minutes.   I'm much more effective now then ever before..I've always followed my own path.  I'm not a clone of anybody else..I'm much better at what I do now then ever before..  I know my job..I'm sure you do too.. Im also sure that you and I approach our work differently.. That being said, I'm sure our results would be about the same.. Daniel has been doing this kind of work longer then me for goodness sakes... I'm sure his approach to massage is quite effective.. And Im also sure that he doesn't look at things or do things like either you or me..  In the past I worked exclusively, for ten years, with medical doctors and chiropractors..I dont want too any more. Been there, done that.  When I get time.. I will read what you have to say.. But my question to you is this..Do you really think that your protocols are any more effective then mine, Daniels, or anyone else s in here?   I figure the best thing we can do for each other is to just tell people what we do and how we think.  Not what to do and what to think. Thats all.  

Boris Prilutsky said:

Hi Gordon.

This  discussion is  about, how to get more recognition. We do not argue about great healing power of massage, as well do not discussing techniques that you did apply yesterday on your only one client. In this particular case, question is why yesterday you got only one client?the other question is it possible to survive by seeing only one patient a day. In my article,as well at my upcoming orthopedic massage/physical therapy aide/chiropractor assistant video home program I am offering suggestion.

We have to survive, and because we are representing very powerful healing  methodology we also have to sustain ourselves financially as well. Soon when my work will be ready for preview, you will be more than welcome, to discuss, constructive criticism will be welcome, as well to adopt this methodology or just to ignore.

Best wishes.

Boris

Hi Gordon.

As I stated in my previous post to you ,this particular discussion, is not about how good you are,or how good I am,or Daniel,etc. if you didn't read article you shouldn't comment at this post. Of course you're welcome to do it, but in such a case it losing focus on topics. I mean destructive, not relevant. As an industry, in my opinion, we Are facing serious problem. Our colleagues stopping practicing during the first five years, as well not making enough money. This is general information, and most likely you personally overwhelmed with clients, and making huge living. This is not about you about me, and some individuals, but in general. I hope now we on one page.

In regards to your question:” .Do you really think that your protocols are any more effective then mine, Daniels, or anyone else s in here?  

I don't know what you are doing, and therefore cannot assume or thinking how good your protocols, or maybe not good. I just know that for 40 years, I'm practicing particular medical and sports massage methodology, that scientifically developed and clinically proven as an saved  and powerful treatment. Additionally being competent on what I am doing, I was trained and having  experience to share my knowledge with other.

You said: “I figure the best thing we can do for each other is to just tell people what we do and how we think “

To tell what we do is good, but I'm also offering  video step by step protocols. Like this one below and much more. Soon will come full orthopedic massage protocols Part1. And I will make it available . I hope now we have understanding and will be able, not to discuss how good you are etc.

Best wishes.

Boris

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEA307BF274E2A957&feature...

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL523BFA55420DCDCE&feature...

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL93BACD6A145F5989&feature...

There are hundreds of different massage modalities, and in my opinion, that is a good thing. Until all is known, and a specific protocol can be definitively declared the one and only accurate treatment, thinking people are going to look to improve on the methods they use.

Every person’s reason for seeking massage may be a little different. There are those in need of pain relief ranging everywhere from severe to moderate or mild, and chronic or acute. Then you have those who just want to relax, those who believe it will keep their muscles in good shape, and those who just want to be pampered, or any combination of all these and more.

Also, you must consider the personalities involved. A pregnant woman looking for pre-natal support would likely not go to a body builder whose massage skills are based on centuries-old martial arts, any more than a trucker with sciatica might go into a high-end day spa and ask for the herbal-rose firming massage.

There are many different needs and many different personalities and preferences. Hence, many different modalities. It does not hurt me or my practice if someone is doing massage differently than I am. If they are good and their work is effective, they will and should thrive. If their methods do not produce good results they will not get very far.

It only makes sense that each one of us are going to utilize the modality that we are most comfortable with and get the best results from. As we gain experience and observe results, it is natural and right that we make adaptive changes that continue to improve outcomes.

Boris Prilutsky said:

Hello members.

I just got a reply to my post. I believe that a lot of important points was highlighted in this post. Will appreciate if some of you will help us out to understand about 200 modalities and to offer your thoughts on this subject,

Best wishes.

Boris

Linda I agree there is value in many forms of massage. Also people are attracted to massage for different reasons and may respond to a different approach than another person would. Also Therapists may feel more comfortable with one form or another. But should there be so many names that claim to be modalities? I think most can be put into a limited number of classifications rather than depending on brand names. The brand names can be used for marketing but should not each be considered a separate modality. I believe a standard for what makes a modality would be helpful in removing confusion about what is what.

By the way you might be surprised at how many women come to this martial arts based bodyworker for pre-natal work.

Linda LePelley, RN, NMT said:

There are hundreds of different massage modalities, and in my opinion, that is a good thing. Until all is known, and a specific protocol can be definitively declared the one and only accurate treatment, thinking people are going to look to improve on the methods they use.

Every person’s reason for seeking massage may be a little different. There are those in need of pain relief ranging everywhere from severe to moderate or mild, and chronic or acute. Then you have those who just want to relax, those who believe it will keep their muscles in good shape, and those who just want to be pampered, or any combination of all these and more.

Also, you must consider the personalities involved. A pregnant woman looking for pre-natal support would likely not go to a body builder whose massage skills are based on centuries-old martial arts, any more than a trucker with sciatica might go into a high-end day spa and ask for the herbal-rose firming massage.

There are many different needs and many different personalities and preferences. Hence, many different modalities. It does not hurt me or my practice if someone is doing massage differently than I am. If they are good and their work is effective, they will and should thrive. If their methods do not produce good results they will not get very far.

It only makes sense that each one of us are going to utilize the modality that we are most comfortable with and get the best results from. As we gain experience and observe results, it is natural and right that we make adaptive changes that continue to improve outcomes.

Boris Prilutsky said:

Hello members.

I just got a reply to my post. I believe that a lot of important points was highlighted in this post. Will appreciate if some of you will help us out to understand about 200 modalities and to offer your thoughts on this subject,

Best wishes.

Boris

LOL! Daniel, I suspected I'd get called out on one or the other of those examples! Neither one would surprise me (:

My point is simply that I don't want to see variety and innovation stifled because some group or administrative body takes it upon themselves to over-regulate us.

Daniel Cohen said:

Linda I agree there is value in many forms of massage. Also people are attracted to massage for different reasons and may respond to a different approach than another person would. Also Therapists may feel more comfortable with one form or another. But should there be so many names that claim to be modalities? I think most can be put into a limited number of classifications rather than depending on brand names. The brand names can be used for marketing but should not each be considered a separate modality. I believe a standard for what makes a modality would be helpful in removing confusion about what is what.

By the way you might be surprised at how many women come to this martial arts based bodyworker for pre-natal work.

I agree and also prefer less rather than more regulation but I do think modality should refer to classes of massage not each brand of similar application.

LOL! Daniel, I suspected I'd get called out on one or the other of those examples! Neither one would surprise me (:

My point is simply that I don't want to see variety and innovation stifled because some group or administrative body takes it upon themselves to over-regulate us. 

Daniel Cohen said:

Boris Prilutsky said:

Hello members.

Best wishes.

Boris

Hi Linda.

Thanks for post.

Actually there is hundreds different names to therapies. As you know meaning of word modalities stands for a bit different meaning. For example in physical therapy modalities, we have an electrical stimulations, ultrasound  etc. In my opinion it is   confusing, for general public as well for  health care practitioners to have  hundreds different names to therapies. Now for sake of this discussion topic: if it would be good to have  hundreds different names to therapies or modalities

why in the last 10 years our industry declining, prices for procedure reduced significant, and many of our colleagues dropping this wonderful occupation?

You said :”There are those in need of pain relief ranging everywhere from severe to moderate or mild, and chronic or acute.”  In such a case most likely one in need to receive orthopedic massage. Orthopedic massage stands for, therapy by means of massage for Skeleton muscular disorders . Wouldn't it be kind more clear, and sounds professional?

You said: “Then you have those who just want to relax,”

Relaxation massage, is sounds okay to me, and word therapy not included. Client and massage provider, compromised on “feels good”.

When we talking on debilitating stress-related side effects, then we talking on medical stress management massage. Using the opportunity would like to advice, no matter what type or name of massage therapy you are practicing, spent 50% of time on petrissage techniques, and you will achieve a lot of stress management results.

You said :”A pregnant woman looking for pre-natal support would likely not go to a body builder whose massage skills are based on centuries-old martial arts, any more than a trucker with sciatica might go into a high-end day spa and ask for the herbal-rose firming massage.”

This pregnant woman should look for massage therapists who well trained in pregnancy massage therapy. And trucker  with sciatica, should look for fellow massage therapist, who trained in orthopedic massage including protocols for sciatica. Isn't example that I brought, sounds and looks not confusing as well professional? I believe so.

Best wishes.

Boris

Boris Prilutsky said:

Hello members.

Best wishes.

Boris

I do understand the difference between categories and modalities. You have made it clear in these postings that you would like the discussion to focus on your questions. You wrote, "Will appreciate if some of you will help us out to understand about 200 modalities and to offer your thoughts on this subject," I responded to the generalized, "200 modalities" that you mentioned. Therefore, I answered in the same generalized terms established by you, and I provided my thoughts, as you requested.

And, the pregnant woman and truck driver should go to the therapists that provide the treatment they are looking for, whatever that may be, based on their own preferences.

Regarding the fact that so many therapists have gone out of business - it's the economy. People who are struggling to keep their homes, pay the electric bill and put food on the table can't afford massage therapy, no matter how much they need it.

Boris Prilutsky said:

Hi Linda.

Thanks for post.

Actually there is hundreds different names to therapies. As you know meaning of word modalities stands for a bit different meaning. For example in physical therapy modalities, we have an electrical stimulations, ultrasound  etc. In my opinion it is   confusing, for general public as well for  health care practitioners to have  hundreds different names to therapies. Now for sake of this discussion topic: if it would be good to have  hundreds different names to therapies or modalities

why in the last 10 years our industry declining, prices for procedure reduced significant, and many of our colleagues dropping this wonderful occupation?

You said :”There are those in need of pain relief ranging everywhere from severe to moderate or mild, and chronic or acute.”  In such a case most likely one in need to receive orthopedic massage. Orthopedic massage stands for, therapy by means of massage for Skeleton muscular disorders . Wouldn't it be kind more clear, and sounds professional?

You said: “Then you have those who just want to relax,”

Relaxation massage, is sounds okay to me, and word therapy not included. Client and massage provider, compromised on “feels good”.

When we talking on debilitating stress-related side effects, then we talking on medical stress management massage. Using the opportunity would like to advice, no matter what type or name of massage therapy you are practicing, spent 50% of time on petrissage techniques, and you will achieve a lot of stress management results.

You said :”A pregnant woman looking for pre-natal support would likely not go to a body builder whose massage skills are based on centuries-old martial arts, any more than a trucker with sciatica might go into a high-end day spa and ask for the herbal-rose firming massage.”

This pregnant woman should look for massage therapists who well trained in pregnancy massage therapy. And trucker  with sciatica, should look for fellow massage therapist, who trained in orthopedic massage including protocols for sciatica. Isn't example that I brought, sounds and looks not confusing as well professional? I believe so.

Best wishes.

Boris

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service