massage and bodywork professionals

a community of practitioners

Name the muscle that attaches to the scapula beginning with the letter O ? Ask your educator or search the web !

Can you name this muscle and its action and attachments ? If you know you can answere this question you must then ask another muscle question = A with a Q
Keep the A+Q chain running ! get that brain working, clues can be action, origin or insertion orientated.

Views: 268

Replies to This Discussion

Vikki said
Next question:
this muscle when chronically tight causes an ipsilateral shift in the pelvis and may present as a functional short lower extremity
I am not sure if I am replying in the correct area Java...
To simplify, the diaphragm can either drop its dome down, which pushes down on the abdominal contents, which causes them to push out anteriorly, so called belly breathing, or its rib cage attachment can rise up to the dome, lifting the rib cage up (like a bucket handle) and the sternum up (like a pump handle), so called chest breathing. Anything that prevents the abdominal contents from being compressed and/or pushing out anteriorly would create a resistance force to 'belly breathing,' making 'chest breathing' happen more easily. Resistance to belly breathing could result from contraction of the transversus abdominis or other anterior abdominal wall muscles, or even wearing tight clothes or being overweight in the abdominal region. Anything that resists the movement of the ribs would add resistance force to 'chest breathing,' making 'belly breathing' happen more easily. Resistance to chest breathing could come from any muscle contraction that resists the rib cage (especially the lower rib cage) from lifting, such as serratus posterior inferior or QL, or could even come from degenerative joint changes (hypomobility) in the joints of the rib cage (costospinal joints).
Whenever a contracts, it pulls toward its center with an equal pulling force on both of its attachments. whichever attachment has less resistance to moving will move first (assuming that the muscle contracts with sufficient force to overcome the resistance force).
I hope this helps. :)
Joe

Jaya Jeff Sims said:
in the interest of kinesiological precision, may i suggest that teres major is a synergist of latissimus dorsi for actions of the arm at the shoulder (vs. "complete" synergist)? i'm just sayin'...

Millie Jones said:
Stephen Jeffrey said:
Hi Katelyn I think its piriformis.

Of the adductor muscle group, which is the only 2 joint muscle ?

A: Gracilis

Q: Which muscle is sometimes called "the lat's little helper" because it is a complete synergist with the latissimus dorsi?
Hmm... A prime mover is simply the muscle that has the most strength to create a joint action. The strength of a muscle is a combination of its internal strength (its actin-myosin bonds) and its external strength (its angle of pull and leverage force). I imagine that the relative strength of the BB and brachialis can vary at different phases of the range of motion. I teach cadaver labs om a regular basis and have to say that these two muscles are pretty similar in size, in some cadavers one is a bit larger, in others the other is larger. I have the think that there is not a tremendous difference in size. Most every source I have ever read (and therefore have repeated this statement in my books) is that the brachialis is the stronger of the two. But again, I don't think the difference is that much.
Joe :)

Millie Jones said:
This is funny. I went back and forth with these two. As a matter of fact I deleted my answer at first and went to my A&P textbook. I looked up agonist to be sure I was understanding the question and the book said: "For example, the biceps brachii is the prime mover for the flexion of the forearm."

The Massage Connection Anatomy & Physiology (second edition) Kalyani Premkumar
Lippincott Williams & Wilkins publishing

So now I AM confused. I will do some more research.

Thanks!
Millie
Yes, I was thinking of Glut Med.

Joseph E. Muscolino said:
Hmm..., what do you mean by ipsilateral shift of the pelvis? do you mean depressing (ipsilateral tilting) the pelvis, like the entire abductor of the thigh at the hip joint group (e.g., gluteus medius, TFL)? Their "reverse action" is to depress the pelvis at the hip joint, making the iliac crest appear lower, hence being called a short limb...

Vicki Stoddart Walther said:
The three muscles that insert on the mandible and close the jaw are the muscles of masication:
temporalis, masseter and the medial pterygoid

Next question:
this muscle when chronically tight causes an ipsilateral shift in the pelvis and may present as a functional short lower extremity.
Tentative A: Now, being unsure of myself I am going to guess:
A: Quadratus Lumborum since it is sometimes known as the "hip hiker".
(I can see that there are many people far more knowledgeable than I in A&P and I am LOVING the discussions here.)

If my answer is correct, my question would then be:
Q: The nerves at the end of the spinal cord, inferior to L1 and L2, that look similar to a horse tail is called _?
Hi Millie, Joseph and Vikki are in agreement that they were talking about a tight muscle causing a tilt, but because Q was
posed as a shift (but which way? elevation, depression, are shifts) so I think you may be right also. As joseph hasn't yet posted a question we will proceed with Millie's below.
Phewwww this is going to get interesting methinks. Don't all shout at once I'm not the anatomy police!

Millie Jones said:
(I can see that there are many people far more knowledgeable than I in A&P and I am LOVING the discussions here.)

Q: The nerves at the end of the spinal cord, inferior to L1 and L2, that look similar to a horse tail is called _?
old Q: The nerves at the end of the spinal cord, inferior to L1 and L2, that look similar to a horse tail is called _?

A. cauda equina

new Q. name three muscles attaching to the coracoid process of the scapula.

Stephen Jeffrey said:
Hi Millie, Joseph and Vikki are in agreement that they were talking about a tight muscle causing a tilt, but because Q was
posed as a shift (but which way? elevation, depression, are shifts) so I think you may be right also. As joseph hasn't yet posted a question we will proceed with Millie's below.
Phewwww this is going to get interesting methinks. Don't all shout at once I'm not the anatomy police!

Millie Jones said:

I have had long conversations with Whitney Lowe about the issue of "short limb." If a pelvic depressor (thigh abductor) is tight, then it can in a standing client make the lower limb on that side appear short. But in a client who is lying down, a pelvic elevator (lateral flexor of the trunk) like the QL would like the iliac crest up, bringing the lower limb with it, and when you look at the feet to assess leg length, that side would appear short. So, a short limb could be caused by a pelvic depressor or elevator depending upon how you measure/assess it.

And, I realize I was amiss in that I did not pose a question of my own, so...why is it helpful to place the hand in the small of the back when palpating the levator scapulae?

Stephen Jeffrey said:

Millie Jones said:

Oops, there was already a question posed in the absence of my posing one, so I will answer this one so we can go with the one I asked.

pect minor, coracobrachialis, short head of BB. :)
joe

Jaya Jeff Sims said:
old Q: The nerves at the end of the spinal cord, inferior to L1 and L2, that look similar to a horse tail is called _?

A. cauda equina

new Q. name three muscles attaching to the coracoid process of the scapula.

Stephen Jeffrey said:

Millie Jones said:

thank you doctor for your thoughtful reply.
(1) it seems like an isometric contraction of the transverse abdominus results in a reverse action of the diaphragm. is that right?
(2) continuing on that theme... if the breath begins with transverse abdominus shortened and it eccentrically contracts at a rate slower than the diaphragm is concentrically contracting, then would that result in a "combination" action (both normal and reverse actions simultaneously) of the diaphragm?
(3) i would like to follow up on the "belly" vs. "chest" breathing distinction. in your chest breathing comments you did not even mention the accessory muscles of respiration that have the potential to elevate the ribs (e.g., pectoralis minor, scalenes, etc.) and have the potential to be part of chest breathing. the chest breath you described assumed that the diaphragm continued to do the work. i love this. yoga teachers rarely distinguish between the belly and chest breath as you've described. Stott Pilates teaches the chest breath as you described in order to restore proper function of the transverse abdominus as it supports the lumbopelvic region and it improves respiration efficiency. any more comments?

thanks again doctor.

I am not sure if I am replying in the correct area Java...
To simplify, the diaphragm can either drop its dome down, which pushes down on the abdominal contents, which causes them to push out anteriorly, so called belly breathing, or its rib cage attachment can rise up to the dome, lifting the rib cage up (like a bucket handle) and the sternum up (like a pump handle), so called chest breathing. Anything that prevents the abdominal contents from being compressed and/or pushing out anteriorly would create a resistance force to 'belly breathing,' making 'chest breathing' happen more easily. Resistance to belly breathing could result from contraction of the transversus abdominis or other anterior abdominal wall muscles, or even wearing tight clothes or being overweight in the abdominal region. Anything that resists the movement of the ribs would add resistance force to 'chest breathing,' making 'belly breathing' happen more easily. Resistance to chest breathing could come from any muscle contraction that resists the rib cage (especially the lower rib cage) from lifting, such as serratus posterior inferior or QL, or could even come from degenerative joint changes (hypomobility) in the joints of the rib cage (costospinal joints).
Whenever a contracts, it pulls toward its center with an equal pulling force on both of its attachments. whichever attachment has less resistance to moving will move first (assuming that the muscle contracts with sufficient force to overcome the resistance force).
I hope this helps. :)
Joe

Jaya Jeff Sims said:
in the interest of kinesiological precision, may i suggest that teres major is a synergist of latissimus dorsi for actions of the arm at the shoulder (vs. "complete" synergist)? i'm just sayin'...

Millie Jones said:
Stephen Jeffrey said:
Hi Katelyn I think its piriformis.

Of the adductor muscle group, which is the only 2 joint muscle ?

A: Gracilis

Q: Which muscle is sometimes called "the lat's little helper" because it is a complete synergist with the latissimus dorsi?
A. placing the client's hand in the small of the back results in downward rotation of the scapula and relaxes the superficial muscle trapezius.

Q. what muscle attaches at the transverse processes of C3-5 and the occiput?

I have had long conversations with Whitney Lowe about the issue of "short limb." If a pelvic depressor (thigh abductor) is tight, then it can in a standing client make the lower limb on that side appear short. But in a client who is lying down, a pelvic elevator (lateral flexor of the trunk) like the QL would like the iliac crest up, bringing the lower limb with it, and when you look at the feet to assess leg length, that side would appear short. So, a short limb could be caused by a pelvic depressor or elevator depending upon how you measure/assess it.

And, I realize I was amiss in that I did not pose a question of my own, so...why is it helpful to place the hand in the small of the back when palpating the levator scapulae?

Stephen Jeffrey said:

Millie Jones said:

Hi Jaya, you may have to drop in and put us out of our misery re

Q. what muscle attaches at the transverse processes of C3-5 and the occiput?

and ask another ?

RSS

© 2024   Created by ABMP.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service